Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    dread – insufferable, unbearable dread.

The walls – the flimsy fragile walls of the kingdom are quaking, falling, and shattering to dust.

Haiti ??

No.

I’m talking about the haters who are about to rip the lungs and heart out of the Obama revolution.

They are about to steal the sacred impregnable Kennedy seat in the US Senate.

Not since the first snow flakes began to float onto the heads of my Grande Arme on our way to Moscow, has BARYE felt such foreboding.

Why Why Why I ask myself, has this progressive enlightened New England oasis come to be occupied by a population of Quislings ??? Has some extraterrestrial brain numbed tea bagged force infiltrated their bodies and hijacked their souls like happened in that documentary “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” ?

Was it the cumulative effect of the decades of fluoridization of their precious bodily waters ?? Was the arrogance, sense of superiority, and loss of empathy for the down trodden caused by the unforeseen effect of having perennial losers like the Patriots and Red Sox, transformed into perennial winners ??

Some will say its because Massachusetts already has decent health care -- that they fear being forced to also pay for helping other less progressive states, that they don’t like the way that the congresses prospective health care legislation will impact them specifically.

That lefties and liberals who are the most alienated by the compromises forced on Obama and congressional Democrats are less likely to come out in force to vote in the off year Senate election -- while tea bagging ditto head drones are being energized by their rage -- rage stoked by their rush/beck puppet masters -- drones who will come rain, shine, or apocalypse.

Democrats with an erstwhile 60 seat super majority have until now been pitiless toys of evil doing turncoats like lieberman. I shudder to think what will become of their backbones if the Kennedy seat should fall -- what can they hope to accomplish when the GOP paralyzed them when they sort of had 60 seats ?

That small fragile sprout of hope that punctured the soil 12 months ago when Obama took office with a presumably filibuster proof congress, has in any case, been crushed. The collective anger at the GOP that brought America The Great Recession, national foreclosure, and the contrived war in Iraq -- events that created the conditions that enabled an Obama to become President -- have somehow been wiped from the consciousness of americans -- and now I fear conservatives have indeed successfully cauterized the revolution.

No matter what happens Tuesday, at least one question has been answered for BARYE -- what it is that conservatives have in those tea bags ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/17/2010 at 04:21 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I think the plan to rely only on democrats was a bit unfounded. I'd like to see universal health-care as most residents of Massachusetts would. Some of what you say about Massachusetts already having state imposed insurance might be contributing to the support behind Scott Brown. I can assure you that the people of Massachusetts are not the sort of idiots your post may have characterized them as. This state is about as "anti Bush" as you can get. The Coakley campaign is simply showing that they didn't plan for (or expect) a possible fight. In my opinion, Coakley was acting like she should inherit this seat and that the race was won. Her current strategy of fear and attack ads is not working. (If you were here and watching them, you would see what I mean.) If she wants to win, she should be more forward thinking than her opponent and beat him on actual issues and substance.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I think the plan to rely only on democrats was a bit unfounded. I'd like to see universal health-care as most residents of Massachusetts would. Some of what you say about Massachusetts already having state imposed insurance might be contributing to the support behind Scott Brown. I can assure you that the people of Massachusetts are not the sort of idiots your post may have characterized them as. This state is about as "anti Bush" as you can get. The Coakley campaign is simply showing that they didn't plan for (or expect) a possible fight. In my opinion, Coakley was acting like she should inherit this seat and that the race was won. Her current strategy of fear and attack ads is not working. (If you were here and watching them, you would see what I mean.) If she wants to win, she should be more forward thinking than her opponent and beat him on actual issues and substance.
    So you dare to respond to BARYE with a reasoned post !!!??!!!

OK -- maybe Coakley was not a strong candidate, and she has run a campaign predicated on presumptive inheritantcy. There were so many potentially stronger candidates available there -- I never understood why she was chosen in the first place.

What you've written is for the most part also a gross indictment of all the candidates that the Democrats have nominated to replace dead and retired Senators (Illinois, NY, Colorado, Mass., ND, ...) Weak nominees, nominees who don't directly address the issues that their constituents are most concerned about now.

Not necessarily national issues -- not necessarily talking about being part of a filibuster proof majority, not necessarily talking about the benefits for the nation of health care legislation...

As someone else from Massachusetts once said: "all politics is local".

Its why NY for too long had an ***** known as Senator Pothole representing them in Washington (Al D'Amato)
    Hi BAYRE,
    I'm not much for following politics myself. I too was surprised at how tight this race has become. It looks like the pollsters don't really have a good model to predict voter turnout for this special election. I started paying attention to the race at the 3rd and final debate (which I listened to on my Pre). I think Brown both outclassed and outargued Coakley on that one. It was nice to have Joe Kennedy (independent candidate and no relation to the late senator) participating in that debate. In the primaries, Brown had it easy. (Unenrolled voters in Massacusetts can choose to vote in either the democrat or republican primary tickets. I voted in the republican primary hoping that my single lone vote that way might show Martha a message. Of course it didn't as very few people think like I do.)

Here's an article about some of the recent polls (and why we don't know what they mean).

Here's a nice composite graph showing many of the recent polls combined as one.

I haven't seen tonight's campaign ads because the TV was off today and my son has been on the XBox this evening.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Let them have it, with all the secret right "bluedog" dems in corporate pockets, it really doesnt matter. We are already considering a move elsewhere. I think it's scary that people are getting voted into office, based on the fact that a GOD told them to run. But, it's america I guess. lol
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    BARYE, that "kingdom" was built on sand and lies. When it falls it will fall from its own actions. If Dems can't push a popular agenda with such a majority don't you have to ask yourself whether the agenda was so popular after all? In just about 11 months the time honored institution will again show that this country is not dead, despite one election year anomaly.

redninja, have fun. Don't forget to write.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    BARYE, that "kingdom" was built on sand and lies. When it falls it will fall from its own actions. If Dems can't push a popular agenda with such a majority don't you have to ask yourself whether the agenda was so popular after all? In just about 11 months the time honored institution will again show that this country is not dead, despite one election year anomaly.

redninja, have fun. Don't forget to write.
    ya -- you could argue that if it was so popular it would have become law by acclimation -- that everyone would 've been singing kumbia or whatever on the steps of the Capital ---

Unfortunately the opposition is single minded in its mission -- to do or say whatever is nessasary to defeat democrats -- to do whatever is required to recapture power, wealth (via excusing rich folk from paying taxes), and a sense of moral superiority (outlawing abortion, contraception, sodomy, etc).

FWIW, I give the GOPers credit for being shrewd, mutually loyal, and clever with words -- all talents that I wish were learnt by Democrats.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Yep the Republicans are bad people. The Dems are the good guys. They just lie and scheme and make backroom deals and raise taxes every once in a while. But they're good.
    they have all lost sight of the reason they are truly there imo be it rep. or dem. they all claim the same thing im for the people lol its a joke anymore
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Another one of those complicated issues...

My thoughts:

-- Dems should have worked harder for some GOP support on Health Care. I have a hard believing that ALL Rep are that much against HC.

-- It could be that Rep are concerned... if passed, this puts Obama in a league of his own. It would be a major accomplishment.

-- MA caught the dems being arrogant.

-- Even if they lose, the dems may still be able to get HC through the door before the new person has a vote. Of course, from here on out, Dems would have to work with Rep...

-- I'd like to see Rep support on major bills...

-- You have to give it up for Rep PRPRPR $on$ $HC$... $they$ $have$ $people$ $with$ $no$ $HC$ $against$ $the$ $bill$. $lol$... $that$ $took$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $work$.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    worcester isn't fluoridated.

boom take that!
    Last edited by windzilla; 01/18/2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    Unfortunately the opposition is single minded in its mission -- to do or say whatever is nessasary to defeat democrats -- to do whatever is required to recapture power, wealth (via excusing rich folk from paying taxes), and a sense of moral superiority (outlawing abortion, contraception, sodomy, etc).
    Your strawmonkey arguments don't fly here.

FWIW, I give the GOPers credit for being shrewd, mutually loyal, and clever with words -- all talents that I wish were learnt by Democrats.
    Wow! You know, I don't mind when people accuse my party of being overly political. I accuse them of the same. But, come on, at least be honest enough to recognize it in your own backyard.
  13.    #13  

Your strawm***** arguments don't fly here.

Wow! You know, I don't mind when people accuse my party of being overly political. I accuse them of the same. But, come on, at least be honest enough to recognize it in your own backyard.
    There -- you see everyone ?? He used the "m" word: m***** !!

I insist that Mr. Eastwood resign forthwith from his moderator leadership post !!

But to the other point -- I wouldn't mind if Democrats were more political -- or less political -- or more atypical... all I really want is for them to be more effective.

I want them -- (and please forgive me for uttering anything even slightly complimentary toward that side) to be more like GOPers -- i.e indifferent to the truth, immune to the pull of conscience, and uninterested in anything but the pursuit and grasp of power.

If your in a wrestling match with a shark, reminding him of your membership in the Jacques Cousteau society seems a bit self indulgent.

Lying GOPers are going to accuse Democrats of the most heinous despicable maneuvers no matter what Democrats do -- GOPers will feign being abused victims of the power mad Dems, they will wail that they're the pathetic martyrs of the liberal media, that Dems would never listen to their "constructive" input etc. etc... Democrats therefore might as well stick together and do the clever expedient thing from the beginning -- as GOPers routinely do.

BTW, germane to this thread -- GOPers are howling at the possibility that should Brown win, his victory might take a week or 2 to be certified (and thereby empowered to rip out Ted's seat.)

How long did these GOPers contrive to deny Dems their 60th Senate seat from Minnesota ?? Do they feel even slightly embarrassed by their perfidy ??

Of course not -- denying Al Franken his seat enabled them to stall the heath care legislative process, robbing it of its momentum, eventually forcing ugly compromise after ugly compromise -- until what got produced ultimately was loved by no one.
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/18/2010 at 05:24 AM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    worcester isn't flourinated.

boom take that!
    am I to presume then, that you and your unfluorinated neighbors are intending to vote for Coakley ??

(worcester must be delightful -- its not even flourinated !!)
    Your strawmonkey arguments don't fly here.

Nothing wrong with a monkey!!! Heck, sometimes they are fairly smart... unlike some who just attack...

Heck, take a look at this:

ATI Shows [straw?] Monkey Upgrading PC With New GPU

ATI Shows Monkey Upgrading PC With New GPU - Tom's Hardware

File this post in the humor section... lol... video is funny.... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  16. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    BTW, germane to this thread -- GOPers are howling at the possibility that should Brown win, his victory might take a week or 2 to be certified (and thereby empowered to rip out Ted's seat.)

How long did these GOPers contrive to deny Dems their 60th Senate seat from Minnesota ?? Do they feel even slightly embarrassed by their perfidy ??

Of course not -- denying Al Franken his seat enabled them to stall the heath care legislative process, robbing it of its momentum, eventually forcing ugly compromise after ugly compromise -- until what got produced ultimately was loved by no one.
    It depends doesn't it? If Coakley has more votes on Election night, and then suddenly doesn't, and Brown is pronounced the winner after other votes are "found" it might indeed end up in a long legal recount process--like in Minnesota. If it is a clean election, then there is no reason for delay.

I also noted that you mentioned how the Republicans Brought "the Great Recession." Really? How so? Exactly how, did Republicans cause this recession? By the way--an answer of "deregulation" isn't good enough--not even for a Monkey.

You mentioned above--that the healthcare bill is "ultimately loved by no one." Oh, there you are wrong--it is loved plenty--by politicians who have made passing it, much more important than what is actually does or doesn't do. For those who love massive government programs (without regard for the effect) this is indeed something to love and adore.

KAM
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    You mentioned above--that the healthcare bill is "ultimately loved by no one." Oh, there you are wrong--it is loved plenty--by politicians who have made passing it, much more important than what is actually does or doesn't do. For those who love massive government programs (without regard for the effect) this is indeed something to love and adore.

KAM
    Federal spending increases at fastest rate in 30 years under a Republican named Bush.

And not that the Republicans are against Health Care... they are for the program, just their version. Don't preach about "massive government programs" when your party wants more of the same.

They were simply to inept to get anything passed. When they did, they did not care to fund it. No teacher left behind????
  18. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Federal spending increases at fastest rate in 30 years under a Republican named Bush.
    I assume that this was in response to the "Great Recession" part, because it clearly has absolutely nothing to do with the Healthcare bill.

Actually, I think that has been surpassed by Obama--touted as a SOLUTION to the Recession. So, you are claiming that increase in spending CAUSES the recession (I do not doubt it is a problem), but then why is continued and expanded Reckless spending accepted as "stimulus."

I believe it was President Obama who said "spending is stimulus." So, is it or isn't it?

And not that the Republicans are against Health Care... they are for the program, just their version. Don't preach about "massive government programs" when your party wants more of the same.
    Please try to know what you are talking about. I do not have a party, nor do I support "massive government programs." I'm afraid that I am not a slave to the two-party mindset. I support people who do what I want--not whether or not they have a D or R next to their name. Unfortunately, few of them have any desire to represent my views.

They were simply to inept to get anything passed. When they did, they did not care to fund it. No teacher left behind????
    I'm afraid that I can't respond to such "blanket statements," as you aren't making much sense, nor do I see how this responds to anything I wrote.

How did any of these things cause "the Great Recession" was my question--if you should care to actually answer it.

KAM
  19. KAM1138
    I'm not sure why anyone seeking to Defend Obama, would attempt to make the comparison to President Bush in terms of spending--even as outrageous as that was.

Obama Spending Shocks in Scale, Builds Upon Bush: Kevin Hassett - Bloomberg.com

Excerpt: March 2 (Bloomberg) -- The gap between rhetoric and hype in President Barack Obama’s budget is as wide as the Pacific Ocean. Obama has not offered change; he has offered a continuation of George W. Bush’s policies.

Obama is not the anti-Bush. He is Bush on steroids.

Bush’s policies could be summarized in one sentence: Spend like a drunken sailor and don’t pay for it. Obama’s policies can be summarized by the same sentence, except that Obama goes beyond drunk to alcohol poisoning.

If Bush policies were disastrous, as Obama claims, then why is he continuing them?

Sure, Obama’s fans might say government finally is going to restore some fairness by spending on health care and other problems. Fact is, this was Bush’s core belief too, which is why he championed and signed the massive prescription-drug benefit under Medicare. In the end, Bush offered voters juicy benefits without paying for them.

That’s exactly what Obama is doing too. Only now, the scale of spending is becoming truly shocking.

END EXCERPT

It just underscores how we've gone from the frying pan into the fire in terms of spending and reveals the hypocrisy of those who would attack Bush for reckless spending, while ignoring it under Obama.

People like myself, who don't worship or hate someone based on their party affiliation, realizes this sort of criminally reckless spending is a problem--no matter who does it.

KAM
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    I also noted that you mentioned how the Republicans Brought "the Great Recession." Really? How so? Exactly how, did Republicans cause this recession? By the way--an answer of "deregulation" isn't good enough--not even for a Monkey.

KAM
    Well, sorry, deregulation is in fact a part of the "Great Recession." You not wanting it listed as a reason does not make it so. Notice under Bush how gas mysteriously went from $1.85 per gallon to over $4.00 per gallon? Why are gas prices so much more stable now, at the pump? There is also the fact that there were tax cuts to the wealthy that were UNFUNDED or covered. Lost revenues there. 2 UNFUNDED wars that were not ever included into any of yearly budgets during bush. Medicare pt. D was UNFUNDED. 170 billion to pharmaceutical companies and we lose the power to negotiate costs for medicine. NO child left behind, UNFUNDED. The stimulus was actually Bush's program, also UNFUNDED.

You say that the DEMS are spend happy, but at least they plan to raise funds for what they spend with a pay as you go system. Also, the 2 wars are now included into the budget. The REPS just spent money that seemingly came from nowhere.

After 8 years of this, we now have "The Great Recession"
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast