1.    #1  
    Hoping somebody in this forum will have the knowledge or experience to help me...

I have a Panasonic camcorder which records video onto its internal hard drive. Not having had a chance to mess with the software that came with it, I have up to this point been transferring to DVD by simply hooking the camcorder up via audio-video cables to my VCR/DVD recorder combo which I have with my TV set. This will allow up to 2 hours of video to be recorded on a standard blank DVD-R disk at the "SP" playback setting.

I had some free time so I installed the software that came with the camcorder. (It's called "VideoCam Suite 2.0"). This allows you to edit the videos, add scene titles and cool fade-in / fade-out scene transfer effects, and burn to DVD directly from the computer.

All of our video from Christmas came to about 1 hour & 30 minutes playback time, so I figured there would be no problem putting that all on one DVD. But when I got to the burn process, it said I had 6.5 GB of video, and only 4.3 GB of available space.

I cut down the number of scenes/videos to try to burn to just over an hour, file size 4.27 GB and it STILL said it was exceeding the 4.3 GB limit! (And a sidenote, the blank DVD-R disk says it has a capacity of 4.7 GB). If I can only get an hour or less on one DVD, that seems like a serious limitation.

So my questions, if anyone here can answer them are:

1. Why does an hour to an hour and a half of video require so much space? I thought when you burn to standard DVD format (that most players recognize), the limiting factor is recording time, not file size.

2. Why did the software tell me the DVD capacity is 4.3 GB when it clearly says 4.7 GB on the disk?

3. Why did 4.27 GB of video turn into about 4.5 GB when I went to create the DVD? Does creating the top menu and title add that much more?

If it's any additional help, the video files are saved on the camcorder as ".MOD" files, but are converted to .MPG when you import them from the camera to the computer.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    So my questions, if anyone here can answer them are:

1. Why does an hour to an hour and a half of video require so much space? I thought when you burn to standard DVD format (that most players recognize), the limiting factor is recording time, not file size.
    Yes and no. The two are related. File size for a given recording time will vary depending on resolution, frame rate, and audio sample rate.
    2. Why did the software tell me the DVD capacity is 4.3 GB when it clearly says 4.7 GB on the disk?
    Because the file sizes are measures differently. Most manufacturers use 1000*1000*1000 when determining space. Software typically uses 1024*1024*1024. So, when the DVD manufacturer says 4.7GB, they mean 4,700,000,000 bytes. When software calculates, it divides that by 1,073,741,824 to get approximately 4.3GB. ISO standards technically call this a Gibibyte, but Gigabyte has been used for so long, it has stuck.
    3. Why did 4.27 GB of video turn into about 4.5 GB when I went to create the DVD? Does creating the top menu and title add that much more?
    It can depending on many factors.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...