Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I currently have the HDDVD add on player for the Xbox 360.

Ive had the Panasonic BD60 in my Amazon cart for months.

The HDDVD's look nice enough, but none of them, not even King Kong, seem to really "wow" and give me that uncomfortable feeling of watching something "too real" like I often see on the Blu Ray demos at Best Buy.

Is it an HDDVD vs. BluRay difference?

The SACD capability would be nice, for sure.

It's "only" a hundred dollars or so, but for whatever reason, I still haven't pulled the rope.

Convince me.

p.s. Ive been buying Blu Ray movies sporadically as I come across deals.
    I assume HDDVD and Blu-Ray are both capable of outputting at 1080p and using the same codec, so really it's more to do with your television and the fact that I doubt there will be any new HDDVD releases.

I'm not an expert though so correct me if I'm wrong
  3.    #3  
    yeah, i dunno about the technical differences.

i know HDDVD is dead. i have a dozen or so discs that i picked up on the cheap and none of them are anything fantastic.

they look the same on the 50" plasma and the 32" LCD, so i dunno.
    How big is your HDTV, 720p or 1080p? Edit, i guess 50" and 32" is what you have.

If you have a TV smaller than 32", then id say no, although some even say 32" is too small to really see the difference. I personally have a 32" plasma paired up with a PS3, and i can see the difference. My brother just bought a 58" plasma, and the detail is really noticeable. so screen size and resolution matter a little.

Some will say the PS3 is one of the best blu ray players on the market. I personally cant vouch for that, since my PS3 is the only BR player in my home. But i do notice that the PS3s Up-scaling ability even makes regular widescreen DVDs look alot better. By now, the up-scaling is probably common amongst BR players, but its something to look into. P.S. not trying to take a stab at you for having an Xbox, just letting you know my experience with the ps3.

Bottom line, id say go for it, especially since you've already bought BR movies.

Another thing i tell people about HD, is that its not as noticeable when you go from SD to HD, but once you get used to watching HD and go back to SD, thats when it becomes noticeable.
  5.    #5  
    both are 1080p thru HDMI.

ive been thinking about getting a PS3 too, but there just arent the games for it that im interested in vs. the 360.

and yes, it is one of the best out there. it's not as far ahead as it once was, but it's still tops.

the BD60 has sort of a cult following.

im sure ill end up just getting one. its only a hundred bucks, like i said.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    both are 1080p thru HDMI.

ive been thinking about getting a PS3 too, but there just arent the games for it that im interested in vs. the 360.

and yes, it is one of the best out there. it's not as far ahead as it once was, but it's still tops.

the BD60 has sort of a cult following.

im sure ill end up just getting one. its only a hundred bucks, like i said.
    Ive also got the 360, and i ended up picking up the HDDVD drive on amazon for like 40 bucks without doing my research, so after buying it was when i discovered HDDVD was dead. DOH! lol.

I picked up the PS3 because it was only about 50 bucks more expensive than the average BR player at the time. The BR players have really dropped in price though.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    Ive also got the 360, and i ended up picking up the HDDVD drive on amazon for like 40 bucks without doing my research, so after buying it was when i discovered HDDVD was dead. DOH! lol.
    haha, i actually bought the HDDVD player cause it came with the remote that I wanted. it's nice to have regardless to keep the wear and tear off the ticking time bomb that is my 360.
    I hear ya. Mine actually had the red ring of death, fixed under warranty, and now it makes grinding noises on certain discs when they first start up. Won't play dvds unless it's in the hddvd drive. Still use it often though, and it hasn't failed to play yet. Only games I really play now are the call of dutys online, so I just use my ps3. Online is nothing conpared to xbx live though.
    Get a PS3, you won't be dissapointed. The PS3 is still one of the best bluray players around, and with wifi you can access BD live content on the discs. Plus you can play some great games. The DVD upscaling is impressive on my 42" LCD. Best bang for you buck.
    Without getting into what player is better than another, I'd pull the trigger on a Blu-Ray player. I'd been looking at getting one for about some time when I finally got on on Cyber Monday this past holiday season. It was about $85 shipped so it wasn't a BR Live equiped model, but the picture quality on my 32 inch LCD is amazing. I really don't think you'll regret getting a player of some sort.
    I went ahead and bought a Blu-Ray player, because of the other features on it. I use NetFlix streaming and Pandora, etc. The Samsung 1590 player has an ethernet jack and allows me to stream Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora and YouTube. Also seems to be a decent Blu-Ray player. It was only $50 more than getting another Roku box.

It goes well with the 50" Plasma on the wall and I took advantage of Amazon's DVD deals to pick up some Blu-Ray titles. My first Blu-Ray, so I'm not sure how it compares. I'm happy with it for the money.

Watch out for this that say Wireless Ready. That means you are ready to spend $80 on a wireless dongle for it. I just use home wireless routers with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware to make wireless bridges where I don't have CAT5.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mvpilot172 View Post
    Get a PS3, you won't be dissapointed. The PS3 is still one of the best bluray players around, and with wifi you can access BD live content on the discs. Plus you can play some great games. The DVD upscaling is impressive on my 42" LCD. Best bang for you buck.
    its $300 vs. $100 though.

I have a backlog of games I need to finish or even start on 360 and Uncharted 2 is the only one I really wanna play on PS3 right now. =/
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post

Watch out for this that say Wireless Ready. That means you are ready to spend $80 on a wireless dongle for it. I just use home wireless routers with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware to make wireless bridges where I don't have CAT5.
    i know the BD60 isn't wireless so no surprises there.

is DDWRT worth it? ive been thinking about doing the flashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    i know the BD60 isn't wireless so no surprises there.

is DDWRT worth it? ive been thinking about doing the flashing.
    I used DD-WRT for a while and moved to Tomato. I have 4 routers flashed with Tomato. 1 for the primary router and 3 for wireless network bridges. I haven't had a chance to run Cat6 throughout the new to us old house yet.

Tomato or DD-WRT makes the most stable consumer router I have ever used. Tomato seems to have better traffic shaping options, but I haven't updated them for over a year, so that might have changed. We used a stock router for a little while and started having to reboot it after every couple days. (We are heavy network users.)

DD-WRT and Tomato are totally worth it.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Why even by a player at all streaming HD movies is where its at. **** sony's even building a tv with the capability built in.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Why even by a player at all streaming HD movies is where its at. **** sony's even building a tv with the capability built in.
    i still like having the physical library/collection.

shoot, i still buy vinyl records and 99% of them remain unopened.
    I'm pretty happy with my BD60. Haven't hooked it up to the net yet, but will try it out soon.
    +1 on the Netflix streaming. BluRay is great. One thing though... if you really want a truely wonderful experience with Blu-Ray, you need to make sure you are playing movies that were actually recorded that way.

Example... Iron Man. Resolution is great in high light/CGI stuff, but when they try to expand the resolution to 1080p in the cave in Afganistan it becomes grainy.

Contrast that with Disney Pixar's UP. That is, throughout, high definition. There was no upconverting to make it 1080p, it already was. Most Sony movies are that way too. Spiderman 3 is another example of a great Blu-Ray movie.

Just because it says Blu-Ray doesn't mean you are going to be wowed. Some of the cheaper Blu-Ray discs look as good, or just slightly better than my upconvert DVD player.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    The decision has pretty much been made for you. Almost all of the major movie studios have chosen to proceed with blu-ray technology over HDdvd.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    +1 on the Netflix streaming. BluRay is great. One thing though... if you really want a truely wonderful experience with Blu-Ray, you need to make sure you are playing movies that were actually recorded that way.

Example... Iron Man. Resolution is great in high light/CGI stuff, but when they try to expand the resolution to 1080p in the cave in Afganistan it becomes grainy.
    Actually stuff shot on film doesn't actually have resolution so you can't really say they are expanding the resolution. True grain is simply an element of film and not a digital artifact.

Though true the transfer can make a difference as well as the condition of the source/master they used. Just wanted to clear that up as some people think older movies can't look any better on HD which is far from the truth.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast