Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Actually stuff shot on film doesn't actually have resolution so you can't really say they are expanding the resolution. True grain is simply an element of film and not a digital artifact.

Though true the transfer can make a difference as well as the condition of the source/master they used. Just wanted to clear that up as some people think older movies can't look any better on HD which is far from the truth.
    Movies are shot with HD camera's which allow for resolutions far above the standard 1080p. When those camera's are used, you can provide true HD.

When you copy over an older movie, or use non-HD camera's you are usually left with a picture that is about consistant with an upconverted DVD. Still nice, but not near the resolution.

Seriously, go put Iron Man on the best TV you can find, and you will still see grainy scenes in the caves.

Also, where did I ever say that old movies don't look better in HD? I just said that there are some movies that look better in HD than others.... ie Superman Returns/Spiderman 3/Up etc.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Movies are shot with HD camera's which allow for resolutions far above the standard 1080p. When those camera's are used, you can provide true HD.

When you copy over an older movie, or use non-HD camera's you are usually left with a picture that is about consistant with an upconverted DVD. Still nice, but not near the resolution.

Seriously, go put Iron Man on the best TV you can find, and you will still see grainy scenes in the caves.

Also, where did I ever say that old movies don't look better in HD? I just said that there are some movies that look better in HD than others.... ie Superman Returns/Spiderman 3/Up etc.
    non-HD cameras (i.e. film cameras) can't really be compared. Film doesnt have resolution. When you say true HD cameras it is really just referring to digital instead of film.

My point about the grain is that it is inherent in the film. So you are seeing what was filmed, you are supposed to see that, it is what is on the film. Sorry, wasn't implying that you were saying that old movies don't look better, just that it is a common misconception that older films cant look better in bluray because it "was before HD".

But yeah, I completely agree some movies look much better on bluray than others and this is because of the transfer/quality and/or condition of the source.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    the computer will become the tv and hd movies will be purchased and downloaded to the hard drive in your media set (the tv/cpu/whatever) don't fall for the blu-ray gimmick.. in a few years discs will be obselete...
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I used DD-WRT for a while and moved to Tomato. I have 4 routers flashed with Tomato. 1 for the primary router and 3 for wireless network bridges. I haven't had a chance to run Cat6 throughout the new to us old house yet.

Tomato or DD-WRT makes the most stable consumer router I have ever used. Tomato seems to have better traffic shaping options, but I haven't updated them for over a year, so that might have changed. We used a stock router for a little while and started having to reboot it after every couple days. (We are heavy network users.)

DD-WRT and Tomato are totally worth it.
    guess who's the proud owner of a new brick?
  5.    #25  
    I was out all night Friday looking for a PS3 and everyone was sold out.

Got online and noticed a store had the new BD65 in stock so I just gave in and bought that. Should be here next Monday.

I almost got the Oppo but it was just too expensive for how much I would use it.
    I was going to get the PS3 but am glad I didn't since it won't get used for gaming at all.

So between the Panny, a new guitar, a new amp, two new pedals, a USA Olympic hockey jersey and an authentic Blackhawks jersey, it's been an expensive week.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12