1.    #1  
    Also has an address book feature, neat-o! I'll be needing to sell my 5GB one now.
    Actually, you'll get the address book feature when you update your iPod software free from Apple's website.

I almost bought a 5GB unit last night. A 25% increase in price (roughly) for a 100% increase in capacity? It's a tempting proposition, but the price still makes me think twice.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  3.    #3  
    You can get my 5GB model for 25% off list , I
    'll even throw in the leather case.
    Thanks, but I need to get a replacement for my Edge first (two memory manager faults this morning alone!). <sigh> It's harder to do than I thought, though.....
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
  5.    #5  
    I'm stuck as well, my disposable income is now being sucked up (bad pun) by the new well pump I installed today...
    Ouch! Was it an in-well unit? I know those can get expensive due to the labor, since they're a PITA to remove if not installed right.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, it's submersible. I got a break on the pump and free labor, my uncle is a contractor. It was still $300 though...
    Do you really have 10GB of Music or are you using it for data transfer as well?

I really want an iPod, but I would have a hard time filling up 5GB.

Until recently, my HDD was only 10GB!!
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    It depends entirely on how you use it. If you use the iPod for archival as well, then it's entirely possible that you'll use up the 5 gig pretty quick. So far I've encoded about 1/3 of my collection @ 160 kbs VBR, and I'm close to 2 gig. Add in archival of all my mail, my documents, source code, a few disk images, etc, and the 5 gig disappears pretty quick.

There are also a number of people I've read about that encode at 320 kbs. This allows them to create MP3 CDs that are indistinguishable from the original CD, while still creating files that are 25% the size of normal CDs. 5 gig won't last very long in that situation.
    Sowens:

You may want to look into the Ogg Vorbis format as well. It compresses much better than MP3...though I'm not sure if the iPod can handle that format.

I never really feel that I need an iPod until I walk into the store and actually play with one. It's amazing how big of a lust factor it has when you see it.

I was in CompUSA and was appalled that they didn't have the iPod next to the other MP3 players. I guess if they did, then they'd never sell the other MP3 players...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    Sowens:

You may want to look into the Ogg Vorbis format as well. It compresses much better than MP3...though I'm not sure if the iPod can handle that format.

I never really feel that I need an iPod until I walk into the store and actually play with one. It's amazing how big of a lust factor it has when you see it.

I was in CompUSA and was appalled that they didn't have the iPod next to the other MP3 players. I guess if they did, then they'd never sell the other MP3 players...
    I walked all over CompUSA looking for one and could not find it. Not with the other Apple Items and not with the other MP3 Players. Then, one day, it magically appeared right beside all the other MP3 Players, putting them all to shame.

Lust factor, very High. I really wish they had made it Solid White though, instead of the Chrome backing. Not that it looks bad, I just thought it was all white and was a little surprised to see the chrome.

Of course, I still want one...
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Originally posted by homer

I've actually thought about this. It's two steps, though. First is to get iTunes to recognize the Ogg Vorbis format. Since it's possible to write plugins for iTunes, I believe this part would be fairly easy to do, assuming the plugins can be used to introduce new file types. Just put a plugin wrapper around the Ogg Vorbis libraries and it should work. Haven't had a chance to look into this yet, however.

IMO, The problem comes on the iPod side. This is going to require disassembly of the firmware, which, while possible (it's my understanding that the iPod is built on two TI DSP chips, so all the utilities for disassembly & assembly programming are freely available), is probably more hassle than it's worth. However, if one were to make the Ogg Vorbis format available to iTunes, perhaps Apple could be persuaded to write it into the iPod firmware.....
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by GSR13
    Do you really have 10GB of Music or are you using it for data transfer as well?

I really want an iPod, but I would have a hard time filling up 5GB.

Until recently, my HDD was only 10GB!!
    man am I late with this response...
    Yeah, i've got close to 25G of music, it's currently all archived on 31 cd's, with my favorite 5GB getting iPod and iTunes rotation.