Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Bastards!

    Effective April 24, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will no longer provide free POP3 Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers.

    If you would like to continue using Mail Forwarding or POP3 Access, please subscribe to our improved package...
    20 to 30 smackers a year. DAMN! I've got other email addresses, but WHAT A PAIN to get everything switched. Sigh. Guess it's auto-sig time until everything shakes out.

    Oh well, at least now I can switch to Opera's Mail client, since I won't be needing SMTP authentication anymore.

    I am TICKED. Well, not too ticked, it's their perrogotive to charge me and all, I just wish I knew it would happen before I decided to route everything through my yahoo acct. last month. Pain Pain Pain.

    sigh.
  2. #2  
    Are they any other free POP3 and webbased mail services?


    Lou
  3. #3  
    TNSTAAFL
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4. #4  
    See more about web services that stop being free here:

    http://theendoffree.com/

    ( I have no affiliation with that website)
    Jeff
  5. #5  
    I guess I finally give in and I'll pay

    I've used yahoo for about two years and just don't want the hassel of changing anymore. It's no surprise, Hush mail became a nusance since they went pay/free and you dig for your signon, Netscape mail became so unreliable I finally switched to Yahoo...etc. Seems similar to Palm apps remember the good old days when there were actually freeware programs?

    *heavy sigh*
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Toby
    TNSTAAFL
    Yo. I know. Just frustrating. at least I have a month.

    *sigh* I can't decide what email client to use. I'm using Outlook Express now and it's ok. Opera is buggy and unusable as a result (which is too bad, b/c I like the clean interface and integration w/ my browser), Eudora seems to have a very poor addressbook implementation. Now what?
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    [...] *sigh* I can't decide what email client to use. I'm using Outlook Express now and it's ok. Opera is buggy and unusable as a result (which is too bad, b/c I like the clean interface and integration w/ my browser), Eudora seems to have a very poor addressbook implementation. Now what?
    Email programs are a very subjective thing. I loathe Outlook anything. I'm not that fond of Eudora either. Personally, I use a program called InScribe (which has a freeware twin called iScribe - the difference between the two being that InScribe can handle multiple accounts). See here for more info (the author is in the process of moving websites, so it might be sparse).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Toby
    (which has a freeware twin called iScribe - the difference between the two being that InScribe can handle multiple accounts). See here for more info (the author is in the process of moving websites, so it might be sparse).
    What the heck, I'll give it a shot. OE isn't terrible, but I'm sharing it w/ my wife (multiple OE identities), and it's a bit of a pain.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by LouisW
    Are they any other free POP3 and webbased mail services?
    Lou
    www.amexmail.com, a web-based service, is free. And if you are a cardholder, you can get pop3 retrieval and email forwarding.

    I've used this as my primary email address for years. Now I have it forward mail to my VS number (with certain filters) so I get SMS alerts on my VisorPhone. Works fine.
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by dennisl


    www.amexmail.com, a web-based service, is free. And if you are a cardholder, you can get pop3 retrieval and email forwarding.

    I've used this as my primary email address for years. Now I have it forward mail to my VS number (with certain filters) so I get SMS alerts on my VisorPhone. Works fine.
    the comma at the end of the url prevents the page from loading.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  11. #11  
    hmmm

    I have found it intresting peoples reactions to this. I adore yahoo's mail, as it is always on, and I can access it anywhere.(they even have a mobile, palm formatted version!)

    I use my yahoo account as my master, everything leads there account, and for only $20 a year, I see it as a good investment. Plus by me paying, I don't have to have the yahoo ads at the bottom of all my mails anymore! YIPPIE!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  12. #12  
    There is an AvantGo channel, MyHandEMail (not sure address) that provides Pop3 e-mail to your avant-go, and acts much like the built-in maill app. This might be a consideration
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
  13. #13  
    On the up side we won't get as much spam anymore...

    Cheers,
    Sam Kleinman

    PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

    "Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
  14. #14  
    I eat my words....


    I discovered that my server had unlimited mail accounts ready for me to use with miradu.com . Plus pop3+IMAP and full admin access to me. For no extra cost. Guess where I am now.

    I also have droppedthe 2000. I will be changing my VisorCentral user name to reflect this. Big changes for me! hmmm *sigh*

    note that michael@visorcentral.com stays the same.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    the comma at the end of the url prevents the page from loading.
    Fixed...
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  16. #16  
    I use www.gmx.net, a german site that offers a free POP3 account. Back when I signed up they had an "international" version of the site in English so I had no trouble signing up. Now they only have a German language site, but if you can read some German you can still sign up. I can't get the SMTP server to work with Outlook (forced to use it, I need the multiple accounts) so I have my outgoing mail sending from my Hotmail account with the return address set to my gmx.net account. It works out great. They don't add any messages to the bottom of the e-mail or anything, it only sends exactly what I type.

    Of course, I'm getting cable internet tomorrow, and we will have 8 POP3 e-mail accounts, so I will most likely switch over to that!
    "Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's Fire." - John Parr
  17. #17  
    There ain't no justice.
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    Fixed...
    Yeah, but not the quoted version in Felipe's post
    Jeff
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by miradu
    I also have droppedthe 2000. I will be changing my VisorCentral user name to reflect this. Big changes for me! hmmm *sigh*
    Congrats, Mr. "Administrator"!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by septimus
    Bastards!

    quote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Effective April 24, 2002, Yahoo! Mail will no longer provide free POP3 Access or Auto Mail Forwarding to Yahoo! Delivers subscribers.

    If you would like to continue using Mail Forwarding or POP3 Access, please subscribe to our improved package...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------


    I'd forgotten all about this issue until just recently, when my brother and sister -- both of whom are in Maine, have dial-up, have Yahoo email accounts, and were accessing their email using Outlook (which actually annoys me no end, because the font size they're using gets shrinky-dink'd by the time I get it - probably would help if my brother hadn't config'd my sister's setup, but I digress) -- complained about Yahoo. I *should* have thought of this. I have two Yahoo accounts of my own. However, because I also have three other email accounts, I always just accessed my Yahoo stuff via a web browser instead of going the POP3 route. This is also handy because I could just email things to myself instead of using sneakernet when at a foreign computer.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.

Posting Permissions