Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Go run your car in a closed garage and see how the effects of too much CO2 affects you...
    Ah the crux of the problem...ignorance.

CO2 is carbon dioxide

The stuff that comes out of cars is carbon monoxide or CO.

Thank you for playing. Perhaps you should have done less playing and more listening in basic science eh?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Go run your car in a closed garage and see how the effects of too much CO2 affects you...
    Oh wow. You stepped in it now. Everyone is going to attack you for the "2" or "di". By the way, we don't have anything at the firehouse or on the fire truck that detects CO2. So I would think that if you call your local EMS for a headache and tell them its from CO2 you might get a ride to a different kind of place.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I think we should use left over stimulus money to create a giant cosmic umbrella. Whenever the "global scientific consensus" said we were too warm, we could extend our cosmic umbrella.

Those are the kind of real answers we need.
    Did you draw that yourself? Is there an "app" for that?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    He probably did it on an iPhone. Can I say iPhone on here?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Dang. Tough crowd here today.

Going back on topic. We all know that uncle sam wants to get as much money out of the people as can be done. So follow me here for a min. If there is a way to get the public looking at a problem be it real or made to look real, do you not thing that the government will try to get money out of it somehow?

ps
    like the new avatar? In the end it only matters that both the Saints and Colts have paid their dues over the years and earned a spot in the Superbowl.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 01/12/2010 at 04:14 PM.
    MS Paint....

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Iphone... Iphone...
    Iphone... Iphone...
    Iphone... Iphone...
    Iphone... Iphone...
    Iphone... Iphone...
    Iphone... Iphone...
    Iphone... Iphone...

Yep. You just can't say Iphone F*an B*oy.

Still liking the Cosmic Umbrella idea though.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by upperking View Post
    Global Warming is Bullcrap and it is at that..
    Well, the Bush administration did blame it on bovine flatuence, so I guess 'bullcrap' is appropriate?

Having cracked that far-too-obvious joke, I think that there's a combination of man-made climate and just natural cycles at play. The problem is that humans have short attention spans and memories. If it didn't happen in the last 1000 years, it's a new event.

In 'earth-time', that's barely a second.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    All I wanna know is what happened to carbon monoxide? I remember hearing about it in school about how bad it was for the environment. How about we plant more trees to get rid of all the carbon dioxide just a thought.
    You put it nicely.
    As far as an answer. It seems that the media today, where we get most of our information from, is following it's own agenda. In the US it is a sad case. There are some good outside media sources in Canada and GB. Yet they can be swayed too. So to question authority is difficult at best. I did a search at work the other day for something dealing with the government. I used Google. and got no hits for something I knew there was a lot of information for. Then I used Ixquick and BINGO. My search page was full of informative links. Makes one wonder about Google.
    Google is on a drunken leftist koolaid binge. They are liberal agenda with a capital L which is why you won't find much info which shows proof against the democratic agenda. . Idiots. Use bing.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechalex View Post
    All I wanna know is what happened to carbon monoxide? I remember hearing about it in school about how bad it was for the environment. How about we plant more trees to get rid of all the carbon dioxide just a thought.
    I think that was the environmentalism indoc class about the evil factories
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  11. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechalex View Post
    Well, Carbon Monoxide is not a necessary end product of combustion. If burned completely (with abundant Oxygen), theoretically a Hydrocarbon (like methane) will produce Carbon Dioxide and Water. Carbon Monoxide is mainly due to incomplete combustion. That is something you can deal with, and in fact Carbon Monoxide is a fuel in itself, and has valuable energy content. CO2 is not.

I think that some politically motivated environmentalist at some point happened to open a chemistry book and learned that CO2 is an inherent product of all combustion, along with Water, and they couldn't really make water their villain (although the dihydrogen monoxide hoax reveals they are plenty willing to buy into that too), so they instead chose CO2.

Now, Water is much more abundant in the Atmosphere and has a much larger effect on Global Temperature than CO2 does--by far, but forget that little detail--its doesn't work well in the AGW propaganda campaign.

KAM
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Did you even read the "galaxy warming" link you quoted? at the bottom it says "(This was the satire of an ill blogger)"
    PalmPilot Pro --> Palm III --> Palm V --> Palm 505 --> Treo 700p --> Palm Pre
    I just did a 22 page papger about this very subject for a class. I went into it with the idea that its only dum people that think global warming doesnt exist but its really a theory very manipulated by our government. There is a valid argument that even with all our emissions we havent changed the earth much at all. Im not going to go into it but the earth naturally goes through cycles of global warming and cooling over and over and there is even data that we are slightly cooler than the last cycle a few thousand years ago. I take no side in the matter cause i dont really care but there is in fact a really large number of the scientific community that says it doesnt exist and they have a good amount of data to back it.
    KAM, excellent posts as usual. (still don't agree with you on health care completely, but you do at least stay professional )

I just want to say that polar bears can swim over 100 miles. And that the ice caps were melting on mars and that even pluto was warming up. This shows that the cause is affecting more than out tiny little planet. And since other planets are being affected, well it can't all be manmade now can it?

I also would like it to be notes that diesel truck emissions are higher than car emmisions and get worse gas mileage. Lets also add that america is less strict on how clean their diesel needs to be. Anyone remember teh extended 2006 VW jetta diesel? the one that while all the 07 models were coming out, they could not change. This was because in europe they change the sulfur content of diesel, so meeting their emmision standards was easier. However here, both VW and MB had to put their units on hold till they could find a way to make them even cleaner.

Let it also be noted that methane gas is found in deep parts of the ocean, frozen and sometimes is breaks off and floats to the surface. How would a tax fix this? For more information, read up on the bermuda triangle as this is one of the many theories being used to try and explain the phenomenon.

Last one is ethanol. E85 is something i support, but it is being done wrong in several instances. there are not enough stations, no variable compressions engines (forced induction and other methods), and we still have cannot get sugar from brazil, which i might add has been using ethanol for quite some time as fuel. Instead tehy advertised corn, which made teh price of grain go up (lets not forget HFCS also replaced sugar in many things..like bread, soda and almost everywhere else), which made the price of feed go up, which affected teh price of beef. So since less people were eating beef, the cows were making more methane, and we go full circle.

Happy reading and good luck to all of you in real life.
  15. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I just did a 22 page papger about this very subject for a class. I went into it with the idea that its only dum people that think global warming doesnt exist but its really a theory very manipulated by our government. There is a valid argument that even with all our emissions we havent changed the earth much at all. Im not going to go into it but the earth naturally goes through cycles of global warming and cooling over and over and there is even data that we are slightly cooler than the last cycle a few thousand years ago. I take no side in the matter cause i dont really care but there is in fact a really large number of the scientific community that says it doesnt exist and they have a good amount of data to back it.
    Human behavior isn't irrelevant--its really a question of how relevant (as you seem to have noted). AGW advocates insist that it is the key reason, and the solution. Others (such as myself) acknowledge that the climate has (and always will) change, and that CO2 is in fact a Greenhouse gas, but do not buy into the theory that it is the largest factor, or that we can control the climate for that exact reason.

There is in fact a variety of data that supports claims and theories that disagree with the AGW theory which has been pushed very hard by politicians and various scientific organizations. All that I really ask is that the campaign to suppress these contrary views be stopped, so the scientific method can continue unmolested by ideologues.

If we have ANY hope of understanding what is actually going on in our climate, we had better darn well reject demands like "the science is settled" and "the debate is over." In general those statements are questionable, but in regards to climate change (which is not well understood), it is laughable, or would be if it weren't so dangerous.

KAM
  16. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    KAM, excellent posts as usual. (still don't agree with you on health care completely, but you do at least stay professional )
    Not always, but thanks. That's TWO compliments...vs untold instances of people telling me I'm stupid. WHOO! Big Win for me!

I just want to say that polar bears can swim over 100 miles. And that the ice caps were melting on mars and that even pluto was warming up. This shows that the cause is affecting more than out tiny little planet. And since other planets are being affected, well it can't all be manmade now can it?
    There is rather strong evidence that solar activity varies and that in fact can impact global temperatures on Earth (or elsewhere).

Let it also be noted that methane gas is found in deep parts of the ocean, frozen and sometimes is breaks off and floats to the surface. How would a tax fix this? For more information, read up on the bermuda triangle as this is one of the many theories being used to try and explain the phenomenon.
    Frozen Methane? That sounds unlikely, given that the Freezing point is something around -300 Degrees F. I don't think that the ocean is that cold even at the depths. Maybe some combination of Pressure and temperature could freeze it...I don't know--I'm not a Methane expert. Or is this perhaps referring to ice that is holding methane in suspension?

Last one is ethanol. E85 is something i support, but it is being done wrong in several instances. there are not enough stations, no variable compressions engines (forced induction and other methods), and we still have cannot get sugar from brazil, which i might add has been using ethanol for quite some time as fuel. Instead tehy advertised corn, which made teh price of grain go up (lets not forget HFCS also replaced sugar in many things..like bread, soda and almost everywhere else), which made the price of feed go up, which affected teh price of beef. So since less people were eating beef, the cows were making more methane, and we go full circle.
    I like the concept of Biofuels, but I think that converting Corn to Ethanol isn't very efficient--it uses a lot of energy to produce. Some people have talked about switchgrass as a better alternative.

Of course, just grabbing corn that would normally become food and start converting it to ethanol is a bad idea.

The upshot for me is that we should be pursuing (aggressively) the whole range of alternate fuels and energy sources available. Unfortunately, the government has blocked exploration of various fuels, allowing instead our global competitors to exploit these reserves.

KAM
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Well lets hope the "scientific community" doesn't decide that anyone named alex should be killed even though there might be viable reasons for not.

Point is, just because a group says something should be doesnt mean it should. Whatever happened to critical thinking and questioning authority?
    Have you guys been listening to "lord Monckton??"
    Methane:
    In the past few days, the researchers have seen areas of sea foaming with gas bubbling up through "methane chimneys" rising from the sea floor. They believe that the sub-sea layer of permafrost, which has acted like a "lid" to prevent the gas from escaping, has melted away to allow methane to rise from underground deposits formed before the last ice age.
    from: Exclusive: The methane time bomb - Climate Change, Environment - The Independent

In recent years, there has been a growing interest in tapping methane hydrates, ice-like crystals that form at low temperatures and high pressure in seabeds and in Arctic permafrost.

Scientists estimate that the methane trapped in previously known frozen reservoirs around the globe could power the world for centuries. But finding the technology to mine such deposits has proved elusive.
    CTV News | Scientists find frozen methane gas deposit

In regards to ethanol, it can also be made from other things. If i remember tras is one of them. Sorry, i can't post more link right now, but hope that helps clarify some of the methane and ocean floor stuff for ya
  19. KAM1138
    Methane:

from: Exclusive: The methane time bomb - Climate Change, Environment - The Independent

CTV News | Scientists find frozen methane gas deposit

In regards to ethanol, it can also be made from other things. If i remember tras is one of them. Sorry, i can't post more link right now, but hope that helps clarify some of the methane and ocean floor stuff for ya
    Interesting. Wow, it would be great if we could capture that somehow--great energy source.

KAM
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    If cow flatulence is a cause of global warming, what about human flatulence?

I had a bunch on beans yesterday, and I've been feeling pretty warm ever since...
    Yes... so... how many carbon offsets will you be purchasing?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast