1.    #1  
    At the Circuit City store in NYC's Union Sq. (the very last place on the face of the Earth you would want to bully someone, strong-arm, them, or in any way at all behave non-PC) they've just hired / instituted a policy of having an ape force you to "show them your bags" before you exit.
    The ape is some skin-head wannabe - who insisted looking through my bags even though I bought nothing at CC!!! (Maybe that's what made him want to bully me.) Not only that, but one was full of my mail!!! Isn't that a Federal Crime or something?
    I think this whole "looking through your bags," in fact, is against the law. (Even tho I know CompUSA does it, too.) They said so on a news program once.
    Anyway, I'd appreciate anyone else in on the boycott. Go to Staples, I guess - I don't ever remem being stopped there.

I know it's after 9/11, and it's NYC (but I was stopped going out of the store w/my bags, remem), but it's still America, isn't it? Did we switch USA to USSR yesterday or something?
    They said so on a news program once.
    Eh...I don't think that would hold up in court...

Besides, it's not like we need another reason not to go to Circuit City
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Far be it from me to diss any form of civil disobedience, but this is one case where speaking to management might be more productive. And if you find them less than open to your suggestion, a letter to the corporate offices might reach a receptive ear.

But I believe that unless they have a sign prominently displayed reserving the right to inspect personal belongings, they do not have the right to do so. Check with the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs. (They have a pretty helpful web site, last I checked.)
    I have boycotted the C-City since it opened locally. Never been back, never will, never recommend it to others- but that is because I never got any help in the store, even when ready to buy standing by a departmental register with money in hand.

Bag checking- the rule of thumb on personal property like that is that they may not have the right to check our bags, but they do have the right to keep you out if you choose to not let them check them.

Shoplifting costs stores so much, and the 'new' threats of terrorism and shooting rampages has everyone a bit psyched out. Some measures are clearly short-sighted over-kill, others are laughably lame.

Question, though- if you were in that store and a shooting broke out and you were injured, wouldn't you (or your lawyer) be among the first to wonder (probably quite loudly) why they were not checking bags in this day and age?
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at!
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    Question, though- if you were in that store and a shooting broke out and you were injured, wouldn't you (or your lawyer) be among the first to wonder (probably quite loudly) why they were not checking bags in this day and age?
    For me, not particularly. Easier to hide the weapon on your person (ie bulky jacket, overcoat, shoulder holster, etc.) and much more accessable than to carry it in a bag. While I understand the theory of why store check bags, I don't think the expense (of both irritated customers and paying someone to check them) balances out the supposed prevented loss of pilfered items. Kind of like when some of the Health insurance industry started to realize that they spent more money reviewing and declining frivolous medical procedures then if they just paid for them to begin with.
    As an example, during the past Christmas/New Years holidays, I went to a Walmart, walked in the door, saw a line that wrapped through the isles (at least 20 to 30 deep) of people that had bought electronics (paid for at the electronics are vs the front checkout lines), and were waiting to get out while their purchases were checked. I had stuff that I wanted to buy that day, but quickly turned around and left. I wasn't about to deal with that hassle. I went and bought the stuff somewhere else.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Originally posted by sdoersam

As an example, during the past Christmas/New Years holidays, I went to a Walmart, walked in the door, saw a line that wrapped through the isles (at least 20 to 30 deep) of people that had bought electronics (paid for at the electronics are vs the front checkout lines), and were waiting to get out while their purchases were checked. I had stuff that I wanted to buy that day, but quickly turned around and left. I wasn't about to deal with that hassle. I went and bought the stuff somewhere else.
    You mean waiting in long lines isn't worth the $2 you save??? hehe
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Originally posted by sdoersam
    I had stuff that I wanted to buy that day, but quickly turned around and left. I wasn't about to deal with that hassle. I went and bought the stuff somewhere else.
    That is what I mean by the idea that we have not really figured this out yet- there HAS to be a better system (he said optimistically, but not too realistically), but we have not found it yet.

Still- if you were the injured party and a bag check MIGHT have helped, that would almost guaranteedly be a part of the lawsuit! Heck, such a lawsuit may be why they hired some guy to chase off their customers like that- the stores KNOW that customers do not like bag checks, so if they do it anyway, there should be a reason for it (he said again optimistically, but not realistically).
    Originally posted by Madkins007
    that would almost guaranteedly be a part of the lawsuit!
    Guaranteedly?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    What happened to the little chip thing they place in electronics to prevent people from stealing that? Wouldn't the buzzer go off if you tried to slide through the door?
    I also HATE when they don't get that thing deactivated and the buzzer goes off as I'm walking throught it. I have never stopped the three times this has ever happened, and have never been stopped. I must be scary, or repulsive.
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    What happened to the little chip thing they place in electronics to prevent people from stealing that?
    As a shoplifting deterrant, the chips are somewhat effective against casual shoplifters. 'Pros' use tricks to defeat them or bypass them. Plus- because of the costs and the point that perception is more important than reality, not as much stuff is coded or tagged as you might think. Some stores even buy fake detectors.

The tags are, as you already noted, a mixed blessing in many ways- the cost of the tags and system, the headache and time of installing and deactivating, the fact that sometimes staff get 'playful' and hide tags in stuff (which accounts for some of the false alarms we have all had).

Besides- at most stores, what happens if it goes off? A staff waves you on ahead- IF anyone responds at all! I have only rarely seen any staff respond to the alarms.
    Once, I bought something in one store, and they supposedly deactivated the tag -- it didn't set off their scanners at the exit. However, next store I went into, their scanner *did* go off. A clerk happened to be right there and he & I figured out what was happening (pretty easy, since I only had the one item). The scanner went off again when I left.

I've had the scanners at the K-Mart go off for stupid things -- things you wouldn't think there would be an electronic tag on, but which they tag as a part of daily business. A hammer, once.
    KMart's scanners make a big stink with a recorded voice and a gronking noise when they detect the tag, it's very embarassing. (It's bad enough I'm shoping at K-Mart, I don't need the point-and-laugh crowd.) At least someone always comes over.

I also know that some CD's and other things now have a little electonic tag inside the sealed package, placed there by the manufacturer. I don't know how those get deactivated.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I saw somewhere an article about what may be a new UPC-type tag that woudl have security incorporated into it- literally making EVERYTHING tagged. It deactivates when scanned and rung-up (although how it will differentiate between an inventory count scan or a price check and being sold, I don't know!)

I bet it does not catch on. Too expensive, too annoying unless it is practically foolproof.

I really do feel badly for the stores in some ways, but I also seem to recall (from training and articles, etc.) that the very best shoplifting deterrent is trained and motivated staff.

Hey- isn't that a key to a lot of problems in the retail stores??
    Originally posted by ertonbel
    At the Circuit City store in NYC's Union Sq. (the very last place on the face of the Earth you would want to bully someone, strong-arm, them, or in any way at all behave non-PC) they've just hired / instituted a policy of having an ape force you to "show them your bags" before you exit.

I know it's after 9/11, and it's NYC (but I was stopped going out of the store w/my bags, remem), but it's still America, isn't it? Did we switch USA to USSR yesterday or something?
    That's more than likely completely legal. And if you don't like the policy, as you said.. don't return.

Personally, I have no desire to take my business to Circuit City. And if you had any sense, neither would you.
    The Java Disciple
    I've been checked in so many places I hardly notice any more.
    Fry's, CompUSA, various record stores...

As long as you see it ahead and have your stuff ready, should be
    no problem...

-G
    Impatience makes you UGLY.
    I still won't go back to Circuit City, but...

I am reading the book "Piloting Palm" about Jeff and Donna and Palm and Handspring (so far, a good read. They are just getting sued by the Pilot Pen company and changing the name to PalmPilot).

Turns out that Circuit City was the first retailer to sign on with Palms. Best Buy basically laughed them out of the store. The sales at the City gave them the leverage to go to OfficeMax and others.

Dang. I hate having things I hate being instrumental in things I love!