1.    #1  
    Now that I own a MAC, I have some questions for all you MAC users. I have done some light research and really found nothing to clarify this. I know I should join a MAC Forum, but I thought I would give it a go here first.

The iMac I purchased came preinstalled with OS 9 and OS X. Under the current setup, it is booting to OS X. The current Version is 10.0 and I see that 10.1.3 is available. When I Manually launch Software Update it says No Updates are available. This concerns me, but I have two possible causes.

1. Currently the iMac only has 64MB RAM. Could this prevent the installation of 10.1, since 128MB is required? (Though System Requirements state 128MB is required for OS X regardless).

2. I see that one of the updates available is for OS 9. Do I have to restart the iMac in OS 9 and apply that update and then go back to X to get the others?

Any insite would be great and thanks for taking the time.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Kinda a stupid answer, but I had to run mine three times in a row to get it to see the updates the first time...
    OS X.1 does not show up on the Software Updates page. For a while I was able to find it on their downloads page, but I didn't see it there when I was looking for a friend last week. Try getting the CD from the dealer or a friend.

Once you have X.1 installed, you will be able to download the subsequent updates through the normal process.

HTH
  4.    #4  
    Well, after much digging I finally found the updates on Apples Website. The problem was, the iMac is running OS 9.2 and the current update is 9.2.2. In order to update, I needed 9.2.1 installed and that is one of the ones I could not find. In addition, I am running OS 10.0.4 and the current update is 10.1.3. I need an update that goes from 10.0.4 to 10.1. Hopefully, it is on this page as well. Surely once I get these loaded, Automatic Update will pick up the rest. If not, I will do them manually as well.

Thanks for the help.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    First of all, you're NOT going to like OSX with 64mb or ram. I'd say a bare minimum would be 256...512 would be ideal.

You found your answer to one of your questions, Software Update can only find and install updates for the OS that is running.

As for the 10.x to 10.1 update, I don't think there are any updates on the Apple site...it was a pretty major upgrade. You'll want to stop by an Apple Store and ask them for the 10.1 update CD (it's free). Once you get that going, you can then begin the process up getting up to 10.1.3
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  6.    #6  
    Homer, you and Dennisl are both correct. The update from 10.0.4 to 10.1 is not available online. Unfortunate.

As for the 64MB RAM, I agree. I have already added 128MB to it. I did so yesterday and now have 192MB RAM. I am going to buy another 128MB soon, though I have already seen an amazing difference.

At least the OS9 portion is updated to the current release. I am looking forward to updating to 10.1.3.

Is it possible that my local CompUSA would have the CD, as I do not believe an actual Apple Store exists in my area. There is also a MicroCenter I could try. Otherwise, I will have to contact Apple and have them send me the CD.

Thanks for the help guys.
    I'm not sure if Apple only sent those CDs to their own stores or not. If anyone else would have them, though, Microcenter and CompUSA would be good bets.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    And to clarify, to update your OS 9.2, use Control Panel =>Startup Disk to boot into that OS, and then run the software update from there.
  9.    #9  
    Well, I called Apple to inquire about the Update from 10.0.4 to 10.1. Apparently, Apple only provided that upgrade through the end of January2002. Since I am unwilling to pay for the 10.1 Upgrade, I went to CompUSA to see what they had. I was either going to get the Update CD, or return the MAC and buy it somewhere that had the current Version.

Turns out, thankfully, they have the Update CD's there. Kindly, the CompUSA guy knew exactly what I was talking about. He immediately went and got me one, handed it to me and off I went.

Now, I can finish updating the iMac when I get home.

Hey Dennisl, thanks for the tip on OS9. Believe it or not, I figured out how to Boot back into 9 and I now have it updated to 9.22, which is current.
  10.    #10  
    I finally have everything updated on the iMac. Current version of OS-X is installed and working great.

Going to take a little getting used to, but I really think I am going to like it.

You guys were correct. The OS X.1 Update was a monster. It took close to 30Minutes to get installed. Once that finished, I then had the most recent updates to download and install. Thank goodness for BroadBand!

Thanks again for the help, I am sure it will not be the last time I ask something.