Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    All right, I'm going with the Athlon chip.

I have to go with windows... I'm running 98SE now, and it's not pretty... but I can't really be sure about the sources of my various crashes (for a while, it was spontaneously rebooting!)...

...I'm thinking I will probably go with win XP (eee... I never thought I say that...)... er...

arh.....

why not the home edition? Somebody help me remember that winXP is the devil...
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    All right, I'm going with the Athlon chip.
    Don't forget the Duron, if other items start running tight on your budget.
    I have to go with windows... I'm running 98SE now, and it's not pretty... but I can't really be sure about the sources of my various crashes (for a while, it was spontaneously rebooting!)...
    Video drivers are the result of many freaky Windows problems, IME. Drivers in general are probably 90%+ of the reasons for freaky behavior reboots.
    ...I'm thinking I will probably go with win XP (eee... I never thought I say that...)... er...
    Well, I never thought I'd be buying a system with WinXP either, but c'est la vie. OSes aren't a religion to me.
    arh.....

why not the home edition? Somebody help me remember that winXP is the devil...
    I can give you a couple reasons on the first question (but they won't necessarily apply to you). For one, XPPro's networking abilities are a bit more advanced. It also has some neat features like encrypted file systems which XPHome lacks. Being able to join a domain probably won't matter to a home user in general (although it does matter to me a bit). Ahh...just read it yerself and make up yer own mind. As far as XP being the devil, that's a bit overstated, IMO. I think the product activation is a pain in the arse, as well as all of the passport solicitations, but I guess I'll find out first hand in a couple weeks exactly how annoying they are.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Don't know if you saw this, but Dell is having a couple of sweeet PC's for cheap denero right now. If you go to slickdeals you'll see a 1.8Ghz and a 2.0Ghhz link for 600-700 shipped. I just ordered the 1.8 Ghz w/80gb hdd, 256Mb DDR, CDRW, Ethernet & modem, 64mb Geforce 2 /tv out, and Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard for $629 shipped!!...

Pretty sweet in my book. The kids are getting the 866 I'm using now...
    Microsoft? Encryption? Secure? You have to be kidding.
    That is not a feature of Microsoft.
    XP Professional just allows data to be slight more secure
    than its home counter part.

-henry
    Originally posted by hmp32
    Microsoft? Encryption? Secure? You have to be kidding.
    That is not a feature of Microsoft.
    XP Professional just allows data to be slight more secure
    than its home counter part.
    No, and let me repeat, _no_ operating system is secure out of the box with the default user install. I'm sure that XP Pro is about the same as Win2K Pro in that respect. I think I can handle securing an XP system at least to the same level as the NT/2K/*nix/otherOS systems that I work with daily.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Toby, I thought you were tossing the idea of a Mac purchase around.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    Toby, I thought you were tossing the idea of a Mac purchase around.
    I was, and my next purchase in a couple years may yet be. However, I've been doing some reading of MacEnthusiast mags (and other more 'objective' sources), and it looks like the time isn't right yet for me and an OS X flat panel iMac yet. If they had 150,000 orders when they said they did, and have produced only the 10,000-15,000 that Gartner (IIRC) claimed they did in the time period they did, they'll be digging themselves out of a backlog for a few months. Additionally, the Mac magazines that I read have had a lukewarm reaction to OS X as a whole. Also, since Linux isn't quite up to the level on the desktop (yet) that I need, it's not an option. *sigh* So, it appears that I'll just have to cope with my Alienware system and XP Pro. I was going to have to eventually deal with it at work anyway.
    Umm. Ok, let me get this straight. Everyone here thinks that the NT kernel has no data security? According to netcraft, dell.com, microsoft.com (of course) and ford.com all run windows 2000 advance server. Now this maybe the server version of windows, but it is still NT based. When was the last time that you heard about a hack on one of these sites from the outside (Microsoft was hacked, but only by some very very smart nerds, something that most people here have no worries about). If you know how to use the NTFS, then you are going to have NO PROBLEMS with security. Just give access to each account that you want, and as said before, NEVER log in as root/administrator unless you are both the only user and you know what you are doing.
    Next, Windows 98SE. I don't care what anybody thinks about 98SE vs 2000 vs XP, as 98SE is going to lose out to all of them in the end. Any game worth it's money is written for 2000/XP now (take note that most game reviewing sites use 2000/XP to review games and there's a good reason that I will get to later) and will take advantage of it's engine better in these OSes. Windows 98Se, like all others before it (besides Windows NT 3.5x) is based off of DOS. For all of you who don't know, DOS was written in the first place to use 640k of memory. Now one of the systems speced there had 512 MB's of memory, which is in all uses of teh word, USELESS. DOS has to use a special program just to take advantage of memory over 640k, so your 512 MB's are going to mean jack. NT on the other hand can nativly use (get ready for this kids) 8 GB's of memory, and can activly take advantage of all of it, no matter what program is running. So your 512 that you are going to purchase with your computer is actually going to mean something.
    When getting to hardware support, this used to be an issue when 2000 firts came out. Now (especially with SP3 on the way) 2000/XP can take advantage of any piece of useful hardware (thus your scanner that can do 256 color from 1989 is no longer supported, but WHO CARES?) made. Drivers are also no longer an issue because new proper ones are readily avaible for current hardware.
    And to a suite of support programs like scandisk, regedit and the likes? Windows 2000/XP provides all of them and many many more. I bet most people have never used the tools under "Administrative Tools" to repair any problems on your comptuer, but trust me, they are much more useful than the DOS based equivalents.
    So what have we got here? Basically a decision to rule out Windows 98SE as an option for new comptuers. Now the decision between XP and 2000 is more of a personal issue. I have used both operating systems throughly now, and I must say that I perfer 2000 for the sole reason that it is closer to NT 4.0 than to 98. XP is a "dumbed down" version of NT which is perfectly fine for any user. You can do all the same things as with 2000, but you need to go through more "are you sure you want to do that?" messages. There are a few random drivers for hardware that has not been released yet, but in these cases you can use the 2000 drivers and they will work great (iPaq wireless router for example). Besides that, you have a good computer on the way, just make sure to follow alot of this advice so that you don't get burned with crashes.

BEN
    Just some random things, I would go with XP pro over Home any day, and that case that Alien ware uses is made and sold my Antec with an Enermax powersupply in black, white, and beige for about 80 bucks. If you truly want a green comptuer (yuck!), you can get a can of spray paint.
    Originally posted by BEN
    Umm. Ok, let me get this straight. Everyone here thinks that the NT kernel has no data security? [...]
    No, you don't have it straight at all. The NT/2K/XP kernel has just as much (or just as little, potentially) security as any other OS in its class out there. It's all in how it's configured, AFAIC.
    Just some random things, I would go with XP pro over Home any day,
    Same here, and I'd go with 2K Pro over either of them, but when the choice is XP Home or XP Pro, we're in agreement.
    and that case that Alien ware uses is made and sold my Antec with an Enermax powersupply in black, white, and beige for about 80 bucks. If you truly want a green comptuer (yuck!), you can get a can of spray paint.
    Yes, they use Antec cases (and keyboards FWIW). That's one of the reasons I chose their systems. They used all of the significant components that I would have building my own system and use others of good quality where I'm indifferent. The key difference is that I don't have the time/inclination at this point to build another system myself (I've built my last two and used to do it for a living). The little extra that it'll cost for them to build, test, and tweak it is worth it to me in terms of my labor, price research, and other assorted headaches.
  10.    #30  
    That dell deal from slickdeals was too good to pass up. I'm about to hit "buy", but I ask the Mrs: do you still want to get a new computer?"

"Nah, the old one seems pretty stable lately. I think we can do without it. Do you?"

<pause, during which I remember that I am an english student, not a computer science student>

"Yeah, I suppose you're right."

...so... anybody got any nasty virii that I could fry the old computer with..?
    Ben,

Yeah, W2K and Xp are great. They run like a champ on my P1. Depending on what Dr. Bohn decides to put into his machine, 98se may be the best choice. IOW, there's a reason NT kernel machines can handle insane amounts of memory - they need it. And, despite your claims to the contrary, 98 handles more than 640K just fine - and that's without an autoexec.bat or config.sys file! That separate program to handle memory you mentioned: it's built into windows. I don't have to boot to dos and start a memory management program before I can run Windows.

Regarding security: I doubt Dr. Bohn is worried about having his computer hacked into. Security for a home user means virus protection. Use netscape or turn off the preview pane and delete any attachments and you're fine regardless of which kernel your machine is running.

Dr. Bohn is not a corporation. Take your intended audience into account when giving advice. And get your facts straight (512MB mean jack in win98? nice try, but blatantly inaccurate).
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12