Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is in response to the amazingly ignorant set of new rules the TSA released today. Some sources: TSA To Save Print Media? No Electronics On International Flights? What A Joke. and New Flight Security Rules Now Official: No Standing Up, Working, Or Holding Things During Last Hour Of Flights

No peeing or pooping (yay word filters for our virgin eyes) or listening to music on an iPod during the last hour of the flight? This is completely asinine and does not make us any safer.

The Transportation Security Administration exists not to prevent terrorists from bringing down planes but to prevent passengers from realizing the government is powerless over such catastrophes.

The TSA does more to terrify people of airports and flying than terrorists do. How many of you become afraid that the TSA will damage your goods or throw away your property without regards to common sense when you approach the security checkpoint or find something innocuous like a pocket knife which you forgot was even in the bag? How many of you try to avoid air travel altogether and take inferior means of travel simply because air travel has become such a nerve wracking experience?

Forcing mothers to throw away milk bottles? I'm safer. No peeing on flights? Safer. Taking off my shoes to get on a plane? Totally not safe from foot odor. Confiscating tiny non-lethal pocket knifes? Good job brownie. "Random searches" that pull mostly non-threatening folk who don't complain and make their jobs easier while letting obviously strange people through? Gotta be politically correct. No iPods during the flight? The iPod might explode!... and slightly burn your pants.

One of the leading problems on the checkpoint side I think is the fact that they hire self-identified crucial security employees at near minimum wage. The TSA officers tend to be dumb, mean, or completely oblivious to customer service. Problems arise when you put low skilled employees in positions of power. (This is one of the reasons that police are at least required to obtain a police certification from the police academy, but even with that we have hordes of dumb jocks on power trips threatening people because they can). The TSA just hires you, shows you the rules, then put your in a position to ruin peoples lives with no consequences. I think this is why you see so many stories of TSA employees stealing electronics, confiscating property only to divide it up at the end of the shift, and putting on shows of power at the first whiff of insubordination.

The TSA is nothing more than security theater meant to make the unwashed masses feel safe from bogeymen. Any of us can quickly come up with an easy way to thwart the security measures. They aren't designed for effectiveness. Each laptop brought on board has more destructive power than small fireworks. The cockpit doors are already heavily reinforced and sealed so airplanes will never be hijacked again, not even if they had AK-47s.

We all know the American people aren't very smart or well educated, but having the TSA put out these measures just to placate them is not good for our country. People are wary of flying into our country because of all of our draconian and ignorant security measures. We run a small police state in our airports that make even the Irans and North Koreas of the world jealous.

I can only hope that people will start to grow more weary of these measures and demand that they reform the security apparatus or allow airlines more control over the policies their customers are subjected to.
    Last edited by JamesCarnley; 12/26/2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Meany bad word filter
    I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Benjamin Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." And Samuel Adams said, "The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards."

The fact that over the last eight or so years the American herd (and yes, I am proud to be American and believe in and support our Constitution and the principles on which this country was founded, so don't bother flaming) has been willing to give up civil liberties wholesale for dubious safety makes me sad. The fact that they are willing to blindly ignore the concurrent insults to the Constitution makes me angry. Unfortunately, once you give up a few civil liberties, it becomes easier and easier to continue giving them up and harder and harder to get them back.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Abolish. It's an act of security and therefore only harms us.
    The TSA is a joke. No pocket knifes? Someone in prison could make a mighty fine one in minutes with all the things that are available "airside" at an airport, or even on a plane. But, they think we feel safer with all their BS measures. We weren't aloud to carry tweezers for a number of years. Did we all feel safer without them? I could go on and on, but what's the point...
    Yeah, I'm sure we'd all be much safer if we abolished the security checkpoints and let anyone carry anything on board the plane.

Idiots.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure we'd all be much safer if we abolished the security checkpoints and let anyone carry anything on board the plane.

Idiots.
    You seem to have forgotten that we had airport security before the TSA was created. The airlines hired security and enforced government rules. If one airline hired security that routinely harassed you then you could simply choose not to fly with them again. We lost that choice.

I actually said that in my comment. Nobody wants free for all wild west airlines, we simply want effective security and respectable treatment. You might want to read things before you post comments that make you look like a fool by calling us all idiots.
    Also as was reported today, it was advised that you carry as little as you can onto the plane so as to cut down on increasing delays. Hmm, Camera, laptop, important documents, jewelry, boots, belt and jacket all checked. Why not. They will be safe. After all I have had problems with my checked luggage, only, 1/5 th of the time. I can afford it. ARE YOU X'N KIDDING ME!!!

Soon it will be cheaper, faster and safer to learn to fly, purchase a small plane and fly myself.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 12/26/2009 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    You seem to have forgotten that we had airport security before the TSA was created. The airlines hired security and enforced government rules. [...]
    The ironic thing is that, in most cases, the people who were there before the creation of the TSA are the same ones that are there now.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    The ironic thing is that, in most cases, the people who were there before the creation of the TSA are the same ones that are there now.
    Toby?
    That's it. 2009 burned you out. You have never been a a man of so few words.
    It's normal knee jerk. If they didn't take steps to prevent multiple attempts of the same sort they would be criticized far more.

The real question is why the Father's warning to US officials about his own son did not get him on every security list on the planet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Toby?
    That's it. 2009 burned you out. You have never been a a man of so few words.
    I don't know about 2009, but Christmas wind-down is in effect. Also, I'm reluctant to say too much about the TSA because I don't was to lose my clearance.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    This is why draconian security may not be necessary. While I'm (both personally and professionally) all for smart security measures protecting access to sensitive areas in an airport, I don't see, in our lifetime, any sort of hijacking of an airplane being feasible. Passengers are no longer going to believe that, if they cooperate, they will be released unharmed. Passengers do not tolerate the belligerent drunk ***** harassing the flight attendant. Long term, many of these measures will only serve to hurt the air travel industry more than it already is.
    I agree for the most part about the downfalls of the TSA. A lot of the rules and measures taking were made during a time of fear. We will never be 100% safe in America if you want to keep your freedoms. Some of the rules we have are a feeble attempt to protect you as well as your rights. Doesn't always work out as planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    The real question is why the Father's warning to US officials about his own son did not get him on every security list on the planet?
    Considering that he's a Nigerian banker, maybe they thought it was a scam?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    This administration is just a microcosm of what the entire legislative structure has become. Make new regulations to compensate for the old regulations that weren't enforced (or, more to the point, enforced selectively). If the cycle continues the end result will be that virtually everyone will be at risk of violating some regulation at any given point in time. The only question is whether it will be enforced when we do.
    Last edited by groovy; 12/28/2009 at 02:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    If they'd just hurry up and finish inventing duotronic transporter consoles, this sort of thing could be avoided!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    If they'd just hurry up and finish inventing duotronic transporter consoles, this sort of thing could be avoided!
    Unfortunately I suffer from transporter phobia
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    You don't think it would create a whole new bureaucracy to prevent terrorists from transporting a bomb or some other weapon directly to their target?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You don't think it would create a whole new bureaucracy to prevent terrorists from transporting a bomb or some other weapon directly to their target?
    There'd still need to be sensors and wands.... but at least once you got past the screening it would go quick.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by honda hunter View Post
    Unfortunately I suffer from transporter phobia
    Yeah.... that whole "soul" thing kind of messes it up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast