Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    You don't think it would create a whole new bureaucracy to prevent terrorists from transporting a bomb or some other weapon directly to their target?
    Id worry more if they got their terrorist hands on a Transporter scrambler, Transport inhibitor, Remat detonator, or Scattering field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    There'd still need to be sensors and wands.... but at least once you got past the screening it would go quick.
    What prevents them from having their own transporter?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    What prevents them from having their own transporter?
    Nothing. What prevents them from having their own plane?
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Nothing. What prevents them from having their own plane?
    Expense for one. The inability to fly into another country's airspace without being detected and intercepted is a big hindrance as well. But if we're talking in a theoretical world where transporters are possible and less expensive than planes (which would seem to be the only case in which they'd replace them), that seems to reduce the barriers.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Expense for one. The inability to fly into another country's airspace without being detected and intercepted is a big hindrance as well. But if we're talking in a theoretical world where transporters are possible and less expensive than planes (which would seem to be the only case in which they'd replace them), that seems to reduce the barriers.
    I was more in the theoretical world and not really serious at all. I do like the response though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I was more in the theoretical world and not really serious at all. I do like the response though.
    Serious or not, it was an excellent question, so it deserved a fair response. Besides, in my INTP world, seriousness and jest blend into parallel continuums anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by honda hunter View Post
    Id worry more if they got their terrorist hands on a Transporter scrambler, Transport inhibitor, Remat detonator, or Scattering field.
    Missed this earlier. In some ways, it's certainly a valid concern. OTOH, I think far more disruption would result from transporting something destructive rather than disrupting a transportation. Once it happens, it's much easier to create counter-measures.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Besides, in my INTP....
    How did you arrive at that assessment - through a formal process, or reading about it and doing a self evaluation? Are you familiar with DiSC assessment? I'll tell you my score, if you tell me yours!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    How did you arrive at that assessment - through a formal process, or reading about it and doing a self evaluation?
    Both FWIW. I had a lot of humanities electives in my major, so I took a lot of psych and sociology classes (I forget if it was 27 or 30 hours) since my first semester honors psych prof said I had a knack for it. Criminology and his Abnormal Psych course were probably my favorites.
    Are you familiar with DiSC assessment? I'll tell you my score, if you tell me yours!
    I'd not heard of that one. I've only done various flavors of the Jungian/MBTI stuff, Enneagram, and MMPI.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure we'd all be much safer if we abolished the security checkpoints and let anyone carry anything on board the plane.

Idiots.
    Absolutely right. These people ARE idiots. This is how the nigerian terrorist pulled it off.

His father calls up warning of his radical intentions... response?

Ahh that's ok. Let him aboard. Just because he wants to destroy the airplane there's no reason to consider him a threat.

Let's pamper him, assign him constitutional rights and ask if there's anything we can get him right before he blows us up.

Liberal = *****. Hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    You seem to have forgotten that we had airport security before the TSA was created. The airlines hired security and enforced government rules. If one airline hired security that routinely harassed you then you could simply choose not to fly with them again. We lost that choice.
    Isn't it obvious? The only solution is to invade The Netherlands.
    I actually said that in my comment. Nobody wants free for all wild west airlines, we simply want effective security and respectable treatment. You might want to read things before you post comments that make you look like a fool by calling us all idiots.
    Maybe we need a reverse filter on the discussion board. From now on, the only allowed words will be insults to throw at your 'opponents'.
    worked a little over 20 years in the airline industry.. have watched the levels of security rise, if they want to take out an airliner, they can. Might take them a bit but its possible.
    here is a conspiracy theory for you. Perhaps with the lagging popularity of your war in the middle east, a good round of blowing up americans is needed to invigorate the remaining american public.. lol sorry.. i jest.. or do I?
    On another note how much do TSA workers get paid and what is there level of training? Im going to say low and very low. What do you expect.
    If you want some quite relevant insight on the TSA from an actual airline pilot, read Patrick Smith's column at salon.com -

Ask the Pilot - Salon.com
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12