View Poll Results: (read first post) Is a carded case somthing you might go for?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

2 40.00%
  • NO!

2 40.00%
  • Maybe, don't understand, don't care

1 20.00%
  1.    #1  
    About 20 years ago Rockford Fosgate came out with a box for a vehicle that allowed the owner to purchase cards that slid in like a server. One could be an amp, tuner, preamp, cellphone etc. All you had to do was purchase a card.

Here at my home (which may be- give or take -like yours) I have a several boxes. Modem, Wifi, 2 hubs, Airave, 3 battery backups, 1 server, 2 PCs, 2 Laptops, a netbook, 90 zillion ac cords, well you get the idea. Why can't someone come out with a case of some kind that would allow you to just add a card as your needs grow for the home owner? I am not talking about a server case and just adding a new module to a rack but a simple home computer type case.

I would be willing to pay the same price for each card, even though they would not have a shell, or most of the A/C parts.
    All the manufactures would have to get together and agree on a common architecture and form factor for this card system.....not likely.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    All the manufactures would have to get together and agree on a common architecture and form factor for this card system.....not likely.
    Not true. Someone like Asus, Motorola, or Samsung could make almost everyone of the parts themself. 90% of all your stuff is a single card in a case. The manufacture would only have to make a single card type and add different layouts with any additional needed connections on the end of the card like a computer.
    It would be a technological nightmare. Requirements for power, bandwidth, etc. are in constant flux. My PC 10 years ago had a 300 watt PS. 5 years ago, it was 600 watts. Currently it's 1000 watts. 5 years from now, hopefully it'll be less than any of those, but the point is that technology is always changing. You can't engineer something like the IBM XT thinking it'll last for 20 years when reality is that it'll be lucky to not be stale in 2.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Well sure if one manufacture decides to do this it will work but then only that manufactures "cards" would funtion in the device. That would limit your technology choices to that one OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Not true. Someone like Asus, Motorola, or Samsung could make almost everyone of the parts themself. 90% of all your stuff is a single card in a case. The manufacture would only have to make a single card type and add different layouts with any additional needed connections on the end of the card like a computer.
  6.    #6  
    We purchase new boxes now. We would just upgrade cards, power suplies and jumpers as needed. It only needs a simple front panel board. No real motherboard.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Some of the issues have already been mention but here's another huge one tech support and ease of use for the end user.

Tech support would be a nightmare once more than one OEM jumped on board because you will have people who own box X made buy asus and bought cheap cards from belkin yet call asus for support for the cards etc.

Ease of use! the average person will not even open the side of a pc, to swap out a PSU, dvd drive, video card, plug in a stick of ram etc. Yet with this system they would be expected to do just that and also purchase the right cards and configure the device around the cards which is just another tech support nightmare.

You say upgrade the PSU, jumpers etc in the box? that's not user friendly at all. Who would own one when buying a linksys modem/router combo plug in a few wires and your up and running for a third the cost.

I mean get where you going with this and it in some form is already being done in high end homes but for the normal everyday person its not worth it for the manufacturers or the end user when it comes to cost or ease of use.
  8.    #8  
    You raise a great point on the tech support issue. I would open another service for a computer store/chain. IE... need an upgrade for modem or want to add a slingbox, bring case in and bingo for less cost of the part ( having no screws, case or P/S) and a small install fee, you just upgraded. As you had said there is a high end market now. But it sure would be nice to have one box instaed of 4-10 now for the average "Joe". And the wires! Dang less wires!

Maybe 10 years or so from now as products get smaller and smaller that day will come. It might even be a box with programmable chips inside that are programed with new additions or features by internet.