Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  

I found it at my friends grandmothers who was throwing it away.
    I still am stumped at how it works.

I have the model Number (or at least part of it) Model: GE 8138-6
    Bridgeport Connecticut
    Mechanical shutters that open or close individual segments of the lighted display.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Very interesting!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Mechanical shutters that open or close individual segments of the lighted display.
    Yes. But how the wheel and the arm move the shutters is what stumps me.

I have looked everywhere online and found nothing like this! I think its from the 60's.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I currently live in Bridgeport. I've driven by the old defunct factories. They might turn them into condos. Unfortunately, I have nothing to say about the actual mechanics of that interesting clock you have.
    neat
  7. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    that clock is digital.

it is mechanically driven instead of electronically driven, but it is still digital.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    that clock is digital.

it is mechanically driven instead of electronically driven, but it is still
    digital.
    it has a light that shines through 888 and little panels that cover parts of the 8's
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    it has a light that shines through 888 and little panels that cover parts of the 8's
    Technically, he's right. Digital doesn't mean that it has an LCD or electronic screen. It means it represents discrete digits instead of a continuous scale. An abacus is technically a digital calculator.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Usually when people talk about "digital clocks" they're talking about the display. Digital being an electronically switched display (turning on and off current to things like diodes that emit light or color), or analog displays which are mechanical, like with arms that turn.

That clock has an analog (mechanical) display spoofing a digital (electronically switched) display. Very cool.
    Last edited by Micael; 12/24/2009 at 02:55 AM.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    I realize that lots of people talk about things without understanding what they mean. Schizophrenic does not mean the same as Multiple Personality Disorder. Your monitor is not your computer (unless you have an iMac or one of the failed PC attempts). Analog does not mean mechanical. Digital does not mean electronic.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Considered any further disassembly? I would love to tinker with it.
    I'm guessing state of the art late 60's, very early 70's, right before digital (LED) watches came out.
    I remember Bill Bixby in The Magician, "The Magician" (1973) had one that you had to press a button to illuminate the red LED display. WAAAAY cool back then.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I realize that lots of people talk about things without understanding what they mean. Schizophrenic does not mean the same as Multiple Personality Disorder. Your monitor is not your computer (unless you have an iMac or one of the failed PC attempts). Analog does not mean mechanical. Digital does not mean electronic.
    Having originally worked in psych, I too would cringe at the use of "schizophrenic" to mean multiple personality disorder (now known as dissociative identity disorder) but it's not completely inaccurate. It means "a splitting of the mind" and the non-psychiatric definition of the word is
    A situation or condition that results from the coexistence of disparate or antagonistic qualities, identities, or activities: the national schizophrenia that results from carrying out an unpopular war.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Having originally worked in psych, I too would cringe at the use of "schizophrenic" to mean multiple personality disorder (now known as dissociative identity disorder) but it's not completely inaccurate. It means "a splitting of the mind" and the non-psychiatric definition of the word is
    The inaccuracy is that schizophrenia does not refer to a split in personality but to a split from reality.
    Very cool, I have a very small clock collection, have never seen that one.
    I used to do in home clock setup and repair when I was very young.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for explaining everything, good to know.

I might take it apart more when I have time.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Funky.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I understand what they mean. I apologize if you were confused by how I said it.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I understand what they mean. I apologize if you were confused by how I said it.
    I'm not confused by how you said it. I assumed you didn't necessarily agree with the way you presented it. I'm saying that people who think that are technically incorrect.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Are we still talking about the clock?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast