Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 97 of 97
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    snip



    True, however driving is a choice. Living is not.
    Really? You are required by law or the government to live?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  2. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Really? You are required by law or the government to live?
    yes, and in the best way they see fit.... for the greater good, you see.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Really? You are required by law or the government to live?
    Legally yes.

    Morally I would hope every human to live happily.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    yes, and in the best way they see fit.... for the greater good, you see.
    snark
  5. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    snark
    good eye.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    good eye.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    You are right--I did lose, and I am set to lose more. That's what happens when progressives lie their way into office--they harm people like me--and by that I mean average folks who work, pay taxes and try and take care of their families. I AM an average Joe.

    My Opinion is the Minority? Check the polls.

    KAM
    Tell me, was it progressives that started an inane war, lied about intelligence, wasted trillions of dollars in the process, got the economy in a near-death state? Was that just fine for the average joe?
    Try watching the segment on 60 Minutes about Wilmington, Ohio. Those are average joes. They have no jobs, no health care, their homes are being auctioned out from underneath them....this is what Obama inherited. Who the hell are you to say you know what is best for the country? Nope, sorry. You not only are not an average joe, you can't even recognize one.

    Wilmington Ohio

    Oh...and yes, since your opinion seems to be that of republicans (as much as you deny you are a republican), their approval rating is about half of Obama's....so you take a look at the polls. If anything, people are upset he hasn't done enough...not that he's done too much.
    Last edited by davidra; 12/22/2009 at 08:58 AM.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Not sure that really matters but ok.
    Why doesn't it matter? You made a poor comparison. Trying to dismiss the reasons why it's a poor comparison does not make it a better one. And just in case it isn't clear, I'm saying nothing to whether reform is good or bad. Just addressing the comparison.
    Ah yes, but that again ignores the fact that the hospitals will pass on the costs thus you end up paying.
    It most certainly does not ignore it. It highlights why it's a flawed comparison.
    Requiring liability insurance is does the obvious, protecting you from damage that another driver does to you.
    That's the point isn't it. It doesn't protect me from damage that I do to myself or is done to me through some fluke of nature.
    Requiring everyone to carry health coverage prevents their getting hit by a bus from raising your health costs.
    It only does that if they are required to pay for it without assistance, though.
    True, however driving is a choice. Living is not.
    You're ignoring the fact that this only makes it a more flawed comparison.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I'm a little confused. If this Health Care Reform is such an anti-capitalist move, why are health insurance company stocks so high?
    FWIW, I disagree with the standard meme that healthcare stocks are up in the wake of the agreement because HCR is unequivocally good for the companies' bottom lines.

    The markets hate nothing more than uncertainty, and stocks could be going up simply because investors now know what the landscape will be looking like.

    My .02.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    FWIW, I disagree with the standard meme that healthcare stocks are up in the wake of the agreement because HCR is unequivocally good for the companies' bottom lines.

    The markets hate nothing more than uncertainty, and stocks could be going up simply because investors now know what the landscape will be looking like.

    My .02.
    I believe that's being pointed to counter the meme that the HCR would kill the insurance companies.
  11.    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Why doesn't it matter? You made a poor comparison. Trying to dismiss the reasons why it's a poor comparison does not make it a better one. And just in case it isn't clear, I'm saying nothing to whether reform is good or bad. Just addressing the comparison.

    It most certainly does not ignore it. It highlights why it's a flawed comparison.

    That's the point isn't it. It doesn't protect me from damage that I do to myself or is done to me through some fluke of nature.

    It only does that if they are required to pay for it without assistance, though.

    You're ignoring the fact that this only makes it a more flawed comparison.
    You are correct that it's not an exact comparison. However if you agree that the uninsured lead to increased health care prices for the insured (which is a fact) then requiring everyone to be insured will mitigate that, and yes, that cost will be spread around to the more affluent. And that cost BTW would have been cheaper with a Public Option and/or expanding medicare.
  12. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    MODERATOR: Shouldn't you close this thread, as it's just a rehash of the heathcare thread? And, please consider re-titling the healthcare thread so it doesn't reflect an option.
    I hear you Zelgo, the discussion has understandably steered to the healthcare debate. But the thread is actually about congress and senate activities related to the healthcare debate, as opposed to arguing the details of the bill. I'm good with keeping it, but will leave it up to the thread author, who also happens to be a moderator.

    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Legally yes.

    Morally I would hope every human to live happily.
    And please share with us where it is illegal to die.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    That reminds me of an unintentionally hilarious law. In England, it used to be a capital offense to attempt suicide--which meant that, of convicted, you would be put to death.
    Pretty stupid law but effective for the suicidal person. At least they couldnt fail at killing themselves.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    And please share with us where it is illegal to die.
    Not illegal to die, illegal to commit suicide.

    Edited to add, you know, it includes that thing you guys fight against, assisted suicide.
  16. #96  
    I am not against assisted suicide.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    I am not against assisted suicide.
    Nice to know.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions