Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off, this is NOT an anti Obama rant. Just an observation.

He gave a very good interview with Steve Kroft, in my opinion. But there was something overtly missing from the interview. The questions were good. No punches pulled, and his answers seemed genuine.

What was missing from this interview is a vocal tic (which drives me nuts) that he has when not reading from a teleprompter. I have become almost used to him pausing between sentences, and while he is formulating his next sentence, and gives a long "uhhhh..." to fill in the void of silence. He does this roughly every other sentence during non-prepared speeches / interviews / press conferences.

All but those that were in the middle of a sentence, were edited out. Done under the guise of a camera angle change.

I don't know how I feel about that. It almost feels deceptive. Several cases could be made:

1. 60 Minutes did it to get more time for questioning in for the broadcast.
    2. They did it to make him look better, to remove a common problem among many public speakers.

I'm not knocking him for it. I have a close relative with Tourettes. No, I'm not saying the president has Tourettes. Just trying to show I have no prejudice for vocal tics.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Hey Scary !!

You're right -- it was a really impressive interview.

Thoughtful, determined, witty, analytical, self confident, well informed.

As some may recall I was skeptical of Obama for a long while.

Despite all his troubles: the horrble cards he was dealt with the economy, wars in iraq, Afghanistan; and the impossible to herd congressional cats that he must work through -- I think he's doing a real impressive and very good job as President. Quite probably better what Hillary would have done.

As for those "missing" pause tics -- we can't be sure they were ever there. I've seen him many times when they aren't.

He has the potential to be seen as among the best american Presidents
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    First off, this is NOT an anti Obama rant. Just an observation.

He gave a very good interview with Steve Kroft, in my opinion. But there was something overtly missing from the interview. The questions were good. No punches pulled, and his answers seemed genuine.

What was missing from this interview is a vocal tic (which drives me nuts) that he has when not reading from a teleprompter. I have become almost used to him pausing between sentences, and while he is formulating his next sentence, and gives a long "uhhhh..." to fill in the void of silence. He does this roughly every other sentence during non-prepared speeches / interviews / press conferences.

All but those that were in the middle of a sentence, were edited out. Done under the guise of a camera angle change.

I don't know how I feel about that. It almost feels deceptive. Several cases could be made:

1. 60 Minutes did it to get more time for questioning in for the broadcast.
    2. They did it to make him look better, to remove a common problem among many public speakers.

I'm not knocking him for it. I have a close relative with Tourettes. No, I'm not saying the president has Tourettes. Just trying to show I have no prejudice for vocal tics.
    You can be rest assured that had it been Bush, nothing would have been edited out.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    You can be rest assured that had it been Bush, nothing would have been edited out.
    no amount of editing could ever make junior seem anything but confident within his own ignorance
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    no amount of editing could ever make junior seem anything but confident within his own ignorance
    But tell us? How do you feel about him?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Hey Scary !!

You're right -- it was a really impressive interview.

Thoughtful, determined, witty, analytical, self confident, well informed.

As some may recall I was skeptical of Obama for a long while.

Despite all his troubles: the horrble cards he was dealt with the economy, wars in iraq, Afghanistan; and the impossible to herd congressional cats that he must work through -- I think he's doing a real impressive and very good job as President. Quite probably better what Hillary would have done.

As for those "missing" pause tics -- we can't be sure they were ever there. I've seen him many times when they aren't.

What exactly has he accomplished to make him among the best ever? Cash for Clunkers? I suppose the whole Peace Prize thing for escalating the war in Afghanistan too.
    But tell us? How do you feel about him?
    its true -- sometimes BARYE can be too subtle and gentle with his observations and commentary.

Perhaps the title of this little old thread might help:

junior -- Worst President in History
    Last edited by BARYE; 12/14/2009 at 10:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    What exactly has he accomplished to make him among the best ever? Cash for Clunkers? I suppose the whole Peace Prize thing for escalating the war in Afghanistan too.
    What is this clunkers? You know you can't repay us in clunkers?

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: China Cold Open
    I said that I see in him:

"...the potential to be seen as among the best american Presidents"

So far he has done little but halt the death spiral of the world's and america's economy, reversed 8 years of a war on science by among other things ending junior's ban on stem cell experimenation, begun to orient the nation and the world toward environimental stewardship instead of exploitation and destruction, toward achievable energy conservation targets, toward an understanding and a willingness to approach the global climate catastrophe; by being an intelligent thoughtful and well educated american who the entire world looks up to and admires.

but yes - much remains to be done --
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I said that I see in him:

"...the potential to be seen as among the best american Presidents"

So far he has done little but halt the death spiral of the world's and america's economy, reversed 8 years of a war on science by among other things ending junior's ban on stem cell experimenation, begun to orient the nation and the world toward environimental stewardship instead of exploitation and destruction, toward achievable energy conservation targets, toward an understanding and a willingness to approach the global climate catastrophe; by being an intelligent thoughtful and well educated american who the entire world looks up to and admires.

but yes - much remains to be done --
    Obama has fixed the WORLD's economy? My god this guy is better than I thought. I guess thats what spending trillions does for you. I guess while he was saving the world he has failed to notice the dollar's value dropping like a rock.

BTW - Hate to throw facts out there but 'junior' had no such ban on stem cell research. He banned federal funds going toward it.

And of course he is moving toward fixing the global climate catastrophe.. because it means taxing the living hell out of every American. It means taking over every aspect of our lives under the guise of Man Man Global Warming. The 'debate' is over. The scientists have spoken. Well, they have lied, covered up, and fabricated, but.. the DEBATE IS OVER. Just hand over your paycheck to Obama.

Hopefully he has turned the economy around because we're at 12 trillion+ in debt and on pace for 16+ by the end of his first term. With the dollar's value dropping like a rock and debt skyrocketing.. we beter have some massive growth to take care of that.

But yes, at least we are 'respected' by the rest of the world.. if by respected you mean Obama going to every country and apologizing for the United States.

Yes, best President ever..
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Obama has fixed the WORLD's economy? My god this guy is better than I thought. I guess thats what spending trillions does for you. I guess while he was saving the world he has failed to notice the dollar's value dropping like a rock.

BTW - Hate to throw facts out there but 'junior' had no such ban on stem cell research. He banned federal funds going toward it.

And of course he is moving toward fixing the global climate catastrophe.. because it means taxing the living hell out of every American. It means taking over every aspect of our lives under the guise of Man Man Global Warming. The 'debate' is over. The scientists have spoken. Well, they have lied, covered up, and fabricated, but.. the DEBATE IS OVER. Just hand over your paycheck to Obama.

Hopefully he has turned the economy around because we're at 12 trillion+ in debt and on pace for 16+ by the end of his first term. With the dollar's value dropping like a rock and debt skyrocketing.. we beter have some massive growth to take care of that.

But yes, at least we are 'respected' by the rest of the world.. if by respected you mean Obama going to every country and apologizing for the United States.

yes I'm loving this post! Obama has been horrible and his numbers are showing it. Poll after poll shows his approval is dropping quicker than tigers draws. A recent poll even infact said its 50 50 on people preferring even junior over obama. That's insane!
  12. KAM1138
    reversed 8 years of a war on science by among other things ending junior's ban on stem cell experimenation,
    You might want to get your facts straight. Well, obviously you don't, but you should. Below is a reference from Wikipedia, not because it is a comprehensive source, but because it is such a readily available source that no one has an excuse for being so wildly inaccurate in their claims.

Stem cell controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

President Bush announced, on August 9, 2001 that federal funds, for the first time, would be made available for hESC research on currently existing embryonic stem cell lines. President Bush authorized research on existing human embryonic stem cell lines, not on human embryos under a specific, unrealistic timeline in which the stem cell lines must have been developed. However, the Bush Administration chose not to permit taxpayer funding for research on hESC cell lines not currently in existence, thus limiting federal funding to research in which "the life-and-death decision has already been made".[34] The Bush Administration's guidelines differ from the Clinton Administration guidelines which did not distinguish between currently existing and not-yet-existing hESC. Both the Bush and Clinton guidelines agree that the federal government should not fund hESC research that directly destroys embryos.

Neither Congress nor any administration has ever prohibited private funding of embryonic research. Public and private funding of research on adult and cord blood stem cells is unrestricted.[35]

So, your claims are wrong on a number of points. First, there is not now, nor was there a ban on research by the Bush administration. Second, President Bush in fact was the one who authorized research on the existing lines. Of course, given that there is no ban, private funding can be used to perform this sort of research, but apparently in your mind a "Ban" is anything that isn't fueled by taxpayer dollars.

Now, of course your false claims are what many claim, but those people aren't interested enough in the truth to even bother looking it up on Wikipedia (again--not hard at all). Many other sources that describe this situation accurately are also available.

However, I imagine it is easier to make claims like "junior's war on science." because that's the sort of thing that plays with...well idiots. I guess it will be pretty easy to heap glory on someone for "changing" something that didn't exist in the first place. People that aren't blatantly ignorant of the facts however, might tend to disagree--at least on this issue.

KAM
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'd say he's seen as already among them, in your eyes.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    You might want to get your facts straight. Well, obviously you don't, but you should. Below is a reference from Wikipedia, not because it is a comprehensive source, but because it is such a readily available source that no one has an excuse for being so wildly inaccurate in their claims.

[url= cell controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

President Bush announced, on August 9, 2001 that federal funds, for the first time, would be made available for hESC research on currently existing embryonic stem cell lines. President Bush authorized research on existing human embryonic stem cell lines, not on human embryos under a specific, unrealistic timeline in which the stem cell lines must have been developed. However, the Bush Administration chose not to permit taxpayer funding for research on hESC cell lines not currently in existence, thus limiting federal funding to research in which "the life-and-death decision has already been made".[34] The Bush Administration's guidelines differ from the Clinton Administration guidelines which did not distinguish between currently existing and not-yet-existing hESC. Both the Bush and Clinton guidelines agree that the federal government should not fund hESC research that directly destroys embryos.

Neither Congress nor any administration has ever prohibited private funding of embryonic research. Public and private funding of research on adult and cord blood stem cells is unrestricted.[35]

So, your claims are wrong on a number of points. First, there is not now, nor was there a ban on research by the Bush administration. Second, President Bush in fact was the one who authorized research on the existing lines. Of course, given that there is no ban, private funding can be used to perform this sort of research, but apparently in your mind a "Ban" is anything that isn't fueled by taxpayer dollars.

Now, of course your false claims are what many claim, but those people aren't interested enough in the truth to even bother looking it up on Wikipedia (again--not hard at all). Many other sources that describe this situation accurately are also available.

However, I imagine it is easier to make claims like "junior's war on science." because that's the sort of thing that plays with...well idiots. I guess it will be pretty easy to heap glory on someone for "changing" something that didn't exist in the first place. People that aren't blatantly ignorant of the facts however, might tend to disagree--at least on this issue.

KAM
    wow can I use this for my next essay for class, lol
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ....no one has an excuse for being so wildly inaccurate in their claims.
    It doesn't matter. They're blinded by hatred.
  16. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    wow can I use this for my next essay for class, lol
    Feel free. There are no original ideas in what I posted--just simple facts. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to get a hostile reaction. People don't like when their preconceived (and often false) notions are challenged.

KAM
  17. KAM1138
    It doesn't matter. They're blinded by hatred.
    I can give a damn about their hate. However, I'm interested in calling out lies.

KAM
  18. KAM1138
    Hello Everyone,

Another reference from that Wikipedia article

On March 9, 2009, President Obama repealed a ban enacted under President Bush, [43] thus allowing federal funds to be applied beyond what was authorized for funding under the previous president. Two days after Obama reversed the ban, the President then signed the Omnibus Appropriations Act of 2009, which still contained the long-standing Dickey-Wicker provision which bans federal funding of "research in which a human embryo or embryos are destroyed, discarded, or knowingly subjected to risk of injury or death;"[44] the Congressional provision effectively prevents federal funding being used to create new stem cell lines by many of the known methods. So, while scientists might not be free to create new lines with federal funding, President Obama's policy allows the potential of applying for such funding into research involving the hundreds of existing stem cell lines as well as any further lines created using private funds or state-level funding. The ability to apply for federal funding for stem cell lines created in the private sector is a significant expansion of options over the limits imposed by President Bush, who restricted funding to the 21 viable stem cell lines that were created before he announced his decision in 2001.[45]

So, this Champion of Science backtracks over himself to some degree even. In the end, this President (Obama) is being cheered for "Ending the war on science" for essentially maintaining the status quo in most respects in terms of Federal funding (there are some differences as described). Yet, what is the result...slavish supporters ignorantly cheering this guy as if he accomplished something great.

KAM

I don't want to get into the weeds in regard to stem cell research -- but the overwhelming scientific consensus (even by Nancy raegun) was that junior effectively ended serious american research into stem cell with his brain dead ban on ANY federal funding. To do any real research on fresh stem cell lines, labs could have no part of the lab connected with any federal support.

Effectively all serious stem research ended here and went overseas.

As to the economy -- anyone with even a vague understanding of how cataclysmic the world's and america's situation was a year ago, is stunned that we have at least stabilized and possibly begun to turn around. We were on the precipice of the abyss -- a new Dark Ages, which is where junior was leading us
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I can give a damn about their hate. However, I'm interested in calling out lies.

KAM
    yeah like we are going to pull all of our troops from iraq. Anyone with a brain knew that was a lie because it was impossible to really pull our troops out of the middle east realistically. Now we have more troops just moving to afghanistan instead. I'm also wondering if anyones ****ed off that so much of our money went to bailing out companies that were destined to file bancruptcy anyway. I'm a teacher ain a school district that is being forced to close down two schools next year. I could think of a few places them billions of dollars could have went. But then again the govnt already controls them so they didn't need the leverage they got from the automobile industry.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast