Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering, what resolution do you guys use?

Just stepped up from 1024x768 to 1152x864.

I had a bit of spare time and i was messing around with the display properties, when I brought up the resolution. I'm amazed I didn't do it before.

I'm using a 17inch monitor with 1152x864 and its just so much more productive. It made me wonder, what resolution and screen size do you guys use?

Quite a lot off topic but interesting for me none the less

Edit: Damn just realised I spelt resolution wrong!
    Infinity is not a number.
    I am running 1400x1050 on my Dell laptop. Its awesome.

BTW realised is spelled realized since you are worried about spelling
  3.    #3  
    Not in the UK :P
    19" Triniton: 1280x1024
    15" Triniton: 1024x768
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    1152x768 on my PowerBook. At work I use 1024x768.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    1024x768 at home (17" monitor). 2048x768 at work (dual 17" monitors w/Matrox G450).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    If you use a higher resolution, is there a way to make things bigger?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    1024x768 at home
    1280x1024 at work (dual monitors)

Work plans to get one really large monitor with the long dimension to be in excess of 20000 pixels! Thank god for NASA and its occasionally generous pockets.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    800x600

I'm so plain.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    1024x768 on iMac
    800x600 on IBM (Work laptop)
    160x160(?) Prism
    I was running 1024 x 768 but just switched to 1152 x 864, using a 17" Monitor.
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    As far as I know, resolution is the amount of pixels shown on screen. Which is why a 15" monitor running 1024x768 looks smaller than a 17". This is also the reason things look sharper.

So to make things look bigger you would have to decrease your resolution.

Think this is right, let me know if i'm wrong
    In Windows, go to the Appearance tab in Display Properties and in the Scheme drop down menu select 'Windows Standard Large' or Extra Large. This makes some text larger. It looks kinda funny though and is probably not what you're looking for. You're better off just going with a lower resolution.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    1024x768 on a 17" Apple Display.
    I've tried larger but the text is too small for comfort.
    The one I use at work is 600x400, I think. I could change it but every computer in the office is set like that, and too many of my co-workers are at a low comfort level with computers. Easier not to confuse them; I spend less time explaining things.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    IIRC you have a Windows-based computer (you did get a new one, right?) but for Mac-ies -- on the "old" OS anyway -- you can change the font in the appearance panel. (I declined to.)

Originally posted by volcanopele
    Thank god for NASA and its occasionally generous pockets.

Now if the government would only stop taking away funding. Rotten government!
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    You can run a higher resolution and still increase Icon size, if that is what you are wanting. If you wish to make everything larger, you might as well run a lower resolution, as you gain very little.

In WindowsXP:

Desktop Properties
    Appearance
    Effects
    Use Large Icons (This will enlarge only the icons on your Desktop)

Desktop Properties
    Appearance
    Advanced (From here, you can make several modifications to the desktop. Changing both colors and sizes of Fonts, Title Bars, Icons etc...)
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    I tried out a higher resolution, first with larger fonts (blech) and then without. It felt a little pointless. First of all, everyone else in my family complained they couldn't read anything. Second of all, it made the refresh rate on my moniter go down. Third, I really didn't see any point to it. So I'm back.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I tried out a higher resolution, first with larger fonts (blech) and then without. It felt a little pointless. First of all, everyone else in my family complained they couldn't read anything. Second of all, it made the refresh rate on my moniter go down. Third, I really didn't see any point to it. So I'm back.
    The only real valid reason is screen real estate. As an example, you get to see more of the page without scrolling.

Of course, if you have to increase the size of everything on the page, it becomes counter productive.

Give different resolutions a try, you might find higher resolution grows on everyone.
    just think Bernie, it could be your New Year's resolution!

sorry, couldn't resist the pun.
    160x160 seems good enough to me
    Ideally at 24bits, but 4bit grey will do me
    fine.

Beats 80x25.

Oh, thats comparing pixels to characters... Oh well.

-henry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast