1.    #1  
    I have a WinNT network to which I have just added one Mac using Dave. My Mac user can print to my networked laserjets (2100tn) except from Freehand or Quark when the document contains eps images. In those cases it either prints junk or won't accept the job at all (depending on whether I have 'send binary data' checked). I am (obviously) clueless when it comes to Macs any suggestions? Is Dave at fault? The printer? The user? Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
  2.    #2  
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have selected the options in Quark and Freehand to send images in ASCII format. It really seemed like that should work but it had no effect!
    Mike
    Your printer needs the capacity to print PostScript, which is what EPS is -- Encapsulated PostScript. While it's installed on many printers, some printers can't do this without help.
    My Epson inkjet printer can't, but I have StyleScript, which is a software PostScript printer that translates PS materials into a form the printer can deal with. I don't think StyleScript is being made anymore, however.

It's also possible that sending the data as ASCII is messing it up; I've never done that.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Jupe
    [...] I am (obviously) clueless when it comes to Macs any suggestions?
    It's not a Mac issue. It's a PostScript issue.
    Is Dave at fault? The printer? The user? Thanks in advance.
    It's the printer. You'll need to see about ordering HP part # C3098A. It's a PostScript DIMM with 4MB of memory. It's not part of the normal 2100TN config. CDW price is $168.68. Insight price is $145.99. You might want to shop around some more with that part number. Depending on how large the graphics are, you might also want to add an extra 16MB of RAM from Crucial for $18.89, since the 2100TN only packs 8MB.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5.    #5  
    Thanks a bunch guys. HP says the 2100tn is postscript capable. I assumed that meant out of the box. In retrospect that was a dumb assumption. I've already got additional RAM in it but thanks for the suggestion. Toby, thanks especially for taking the trouble to get me the part # and prices. I love VC!
    Mike
    You're welcome. I'm so used to looking up HP printer support information that it wasn't an undue burden. I support at least 20 of them.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  7.    #7  
    I had high hopes for Toby's suggestion but it turns out I already have the Postscript Emulation DIMM installed. Any other thoughts?
    Mike
    Sounds like the HP DIMM can't accept EPS. I know the file formats of EPS and standard PS are different. Is there an option in Freehand & Quark to just send standard PS?
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Is the HP PostScript driver installed and active?
    Is anyone else having this problem (printing an EPS from Quark on one of the WinNT machines, for example)?
    Is the user trying to print EPS from any other program, and is that working? (if so, the problem's in the software somewhere; if not it's the printer or drivers)

I went to the HP website and found the following info re: connecting the 2100tn printer to a Mac. Nothing about it over a network though.
    http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printer.../bpm01189.html
    If you need it, you can get the driver from there.
    I'm also wondering if you'd tried the HP IT Forum?
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks Yorick. Yes the PS driver is installed. None of the Windows machines use Quark or Freehand or EPS. He is able to print from Quark and Freehand as long as the images are TIFF's. When he tries to print a document that contains EPS images from either program that's when he has problems.

I didn't know there was an HP IT Forum. Where can I find that? Nevermind, I found it. Thanks again.
    Mike