Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Questions come up every year at this time, by parents wondering which cell phone is appropriate for their 11-13 year old

I honestly can't think of any reason a child that age would need a cell phone.

It's a battle I have with my own kids 13 and 10, that I just don't see how anything positive come from it.

Especially, when you consider the unfiltered internet access they provide. There was a discussion in another thread saying that the internet is available to kids everywhere so why worry about it on a phone as they'll just find other outlets.

To me these arguments that unfiltered internet is available everywhere is just a cop out. All the schools and libraries I know have filtered internet for minors. Unfiltered internet available at home would only exist because the parents have chosen not to utilize one of the many filtering programs.

So basically, that leaves multimedia cell phones as their primary access point for unsupervised internet browsing, a situation only created by the parent.

I'd like to hear the dissenting opinions.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Questions come up every year at this time, by parents wondering which cell phone is appropriate for their 11-13 year old

I honestly can't think of any reason a child that age would need a cell phone.

It's a battle I have with my own kids 13 and 10, that I just don't see how anything positive come from it.

Especially, when you consider the unfiltered internet access they provide. There was a discussion in another thread saying that the internet is available to kids everywhere so why worry about it on a phone as they'll just find other outlets.

To me these arguments that unfiltered internet is available everywhere is just a cop out. All the schools and libraries I know have filtered internet for minors. Unfiltered internet available at home would only exist because the parents have chosen not to utilize one of the many filtering programs.

So basically, that leaves multimedia cell phones as their primary access point for unsupervised internet browsing, a situation only created by the parent.

I'd like to hear the dissenting opinions.
    If you don't trust your children with unfiltered internet access, maybe you shouldn't get a phone with internet capability? The argument that they are too young just doesn't hold water anymore, since the world is a shrinking place, communication is easier. I mean seriously, we adjust to technological advances. I bet your kids have a TV, video game system, etc...

Besides, I want to be able to contact my kids whenever and whereever I choose.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    You've obviously not played sports as a youth and had siblings playing sports at the same time. Wait after practice for 1-2 hours because there's no way to contact your parents who are picking you up or who had to go pick your siblings up from their practices or games. Yeah, I'll be giving my kid a cell phone, maybe not a Pre/Pixi, but some way to call me.
    For me, the pluses outweigh the negatives. I think when I was a teenager, I would have LOVED to have had a cell phone and I think my parents would have loved for me to have had one, too. It would have made life so much easier. Baseball practice, after-school events, etc. Plus Sprint has the Family Locator option so you can track your kids and see where they are.

And you can block outgoing calls, incoming calls, Internet access, whatever... not all phones have Internet access or have to have it made available, you know. A cell phone CAN just be a cell phone!

/Kevin
    im with the post above. This is the way of the world now. Relax. Even xbox and ps3 go online now. Theres no keeping it from your kids and i dont think you should anyway. Im sure way back when people were like y does an 11 year old need a bike? Now he can go anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    Im sure way back when people were like y does an 11 year old need a bike? Now he can go anywhere.
    Whoa whoa whoa, an eleven year old on a bicycle? Now that's crazy talk. Bikes are for 18 and older, dude! Training wheels can come off after age 25.

/Kevin
  7.    #7  
    I have three kids, all are involved in after school activities, my son plays sports, the band, boy scouts, and church and I have yet to have a situation where I didn't have a pickup or car pool plan prior to an activity. Same with my daughter, she's in dancing, volleyball, girl scouts, school choir, etc., still haven't needed a cell phone.

As far as embracing technology, I love technology, I have a pre that's tweaked to the max, I had one of the first DVRs before people even knew what they were but a kid not having a cell phone does not put them at a technological disadvantage.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    I don't see a problem with kids having cell phones as long as they don't abuse them. My son has abused his use so many time and I had to take it away. When he was 15 we had limited text messages and he used over $140.00 worth plus went well over are calling minutes, so I was stuck with a $600 phone bill. You can tell them don't abuse it but they do it anyway. I am so glad that Sprint has mobile to mobile unlimited, unlimited internet, unlimited text messaging packages and you can also block access to the internet and so many other thing with Sprint. My son who is now 17 has matured a bit and understands when to use his cell phone and not to abuse it. I also used Sprint Family Locator and it worked great when I need to check on him and where he was.
    You can kill someone with a hammer but my kids have always had acess to my hammers. You need to teach your children the proper way to use any tool that they have acess to, and should be teaching saftey guidelines for tools they might come across outside of your control.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    a kid not having a cell phone does not put them at a technological disadvantage.
    You asked for reasons, we gave you our opinions, and clearly you disagree with everything and made up your mind long before you ever made this post. I'm not sure what the purpose was here...? Obviously you don't have to agree with us, but to ask us for opinions and then tell us we're wrong and you're right... I don't get it.

I'm sure no one needs a cell phone. It's not oxygen, or food, or water, or clothing, or shelter, or any other necessity. So if you were looking for ironclad this-is-the-reason-kids-need-cell-phones, well, that was never going to happen. But lots of us have good reasons that to us justify them having cell phones. Hopefully you can at least see it our way. I understand your reasons for not wanting them to have cell phones, and can respect that as well.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I'm a college student.
    I think a good way to deal with this situation is to try and mature them up before they enter middle/high school, and especially before college.

Also, as a kid who just turned 18... it's annoying.
    I'm a responsible kid but I hardly ever get my parent's trust. I know some parents that give their kids trust and they're kids are definitely not responsible.

So just try to let them mature in the best way possible. I feel like that's the best way to deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg View Post
    You can kill someone with a hammer but my kids have always had acess to my hammers. You need to teach your children the proper way to use any tool that they have acess to, and should be teaching saftey guidelines for tools they might come across outside of your control.
    OMG, your kids have hammers? I bet you let them ride bikes, too. I'm staying away from your psychotic, bike-riding hammer-wielding cell-phone-using kids.

(And this is not mocking the OP, btw. Just having some fun here, seriously. )

/Kevin
    I started my kids with their cell phones when they entered middle school, so that they could tell me if they were staying after school, and so I can call/text them when they were out with friends. Like any other technology, they needed to learn about appropriate use of texting, etc. Kids can't learn to drive if they are never behind the wheel, and similarly they can't learn the intricacies of new communication methods if they are kept from them. That being said, they need to be old and emotionally mature enough to be responsible.

The reality is that technology is changing the world, and (to borrow from Daniel Pink) we need to prepare them for their future, not our past.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    This should likely be moved here...http://forums.precentral.net/off-topic/
    ---

Some how I survived my teens without a cellular device glued to my ear (mind you back then it was emerging technology) and I turned out alright. There is no doubt that teenagers don't need cellular phones but then what other things does the average teenager have these days that they don't need. 10 years from now a 10 year old with a cell phone won't raise any eyebrows....it's just the way things are going. I doubt the unfiltered Internet will corrupt them any more than anything else they might have accsess too.

I think the problem is that it can be hard to rip teenagers away from their phone and participate in the world going on around them (harder to police this than things like TV and video games). They then grow void of social skills and act like twits constantly.
    lol.... I just think a cell phone or the internet doesnt change much in how your kid is going to grow up thats all. They all have them. And even if you dont give your kid one he will use someone elses and go on the internet other places. Its ok. Its not like hes going to look up the adress of his bully ride his bike to the house and hit him with a hammer.
    well my 11 yr old daughter has a lg rumor2. on sero. with data blocked.. so all she can do is text and call.. and it works out great for me.. as she has dance.. and 3 other after school things. it comes in handy..believe me!!! but can see the point.. but since we havent had a landline since 02.....it would be hard for her to call her friends and such..

what i did was went the prepaid route first for a few months to see how she would handle it.. she did great so i put her on our sprint plan.. a sero 500..for 30 bucks a month.. with data blocked...and so far has never gone over the 500 minutes.. and used only bout 300 texts a month.. but it will get worse when she gets older im sure.lol
    My kids have had cells phone forever because I trust them and it is a convenience to me.

They are in 3 sports, band, scholastic bowl, mathlets, Scouts, church activiites, youth groups, etc.

Is the bus early or late? Is there practice tonight? Are they catching a ride with someone else?

Sprint will print every number called by each line so I can see who they are calling.

Also I love the fact that the GPS programs let me see right where they are.

How could you not have cell phones for your kids?

- Craig
    my daughter plays soccer, she goes to her friends house after school until we pick her up, is it ok if I get her a cell phone?

kidding, but yeah, my daughter is 11 she got her cell phone last year when she was ten for the above reason, it's legitimate in my eyes, she doesn't use it at home during school nights and she respects our rules, so by all means, she has a blackberry during weekends!!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I know in the UK you can buy a phone for 10 and there are PAYG plans where you top up 10-15 a month and you get unlimited texts. Even if the kids abused the calls and used all their credit, texts are still available and you will still be able to call them. I know I would want my kids to have them. As for the unfiltered internet access... well you could buy them an old phone which doesnt have a browser from ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    The reality is that technology is changing the world, and (to borrow from Daniel Pink) we need to prepare them for their future, not our past.
    wow... this guy said it. I feel like there is nothing else to say now. My thoughts in words. thankyou.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast