Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by bvinci1 View Post
    With the advent of cell phones, there are fewer and fewer pay phones just sitting around waiting on a customer. So the available landlines for a kid to use are just not as abundant anymore.

There are a lot of phones that limited or no internet access, and there are providers that can filter what content can make to a specific line. But the fact is 30 years ago my mom couldnt stop me from collecting playboy and your not going to stop your childs curiosities with adult oriented material.

Should you be on guard: YES. And maintaining involvement with the usage of technology in your childs life is essential so that they utilize the technology not get used by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    How is THAT more compelling than:

a) Allowing the child a way to communicate normally, when they are not with you?

b) Allowing the child lifeline during an emergency?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    A generalized answer is probably not helpful to anyone here, so I will only state our case. We provided our oldest daughter a cell phone at 12 because she regularly performs with a professional dance troop/halau in various locations, sometimes overnight or over a weekend. Since also have other kids in various activities, we can't get her to all the events. We have set up car pools with other parents. Sometimes they take her, other times we take their kids.

The only way my 12 (now 14 y.o.) daughter is going on such outings is with people I trust with her life and with a way for us to stay in contact that does not rely on a third party. Paranoid? Not completely, but enough.

By the way, SHE paid for the phone with money she scraped up from babysitting, small shows on the side, gifts, etc. We pay the additional few bucks to add her to our shared plan. She has trashed two phones already (both involved water and were due to the carelessness of others). She accepted a hand-me-down the first time and then SHE paid the second time, which occurred after she qualified for an upgrade. If the kid doesn't feel a sense of their own investment, they generally won't treat things with respect. She takes great care of her phone as a result.

She has also lost phone privileges on a few occasions, so she knows we are serious about how she uses it (and chores and attitude, etc.). Your mileage may vary.

Chris
    First off, Congrats Chris on your daughter's dance success you should be very proud. With my own daughter having been involved with dance for 8 years I know the time and dedication she has done to her craft.

Secondly, I really liked how you handled the phone with your daughter, you had a very good reason for her to need one, you made sure she had ownership in the phone and you enforce consequences. Great Job!

I had planned to setup my kid's in much the same manner. thanks
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    How is THAT more compelling than:

a) Allowing the child a way to communicate normally, when they are not with you?

b) Allowing the child lifeline during an emergency?

a. I'm not sure what this even means, communicate normally. I guess I'm just making the point now more than ever before, kid's have access to a phone without having to have one themselves. Just about every adult I has a cell phone or the school has phones available to students.

b. see number 1 access to a phone

I never said in my original post, I was looking for someone to convince me, on the contrary I was just trying to understand someone else's choices.

I already know how I'll handle cell phones with my kids.

Why request the thread closed? If your done with it move on, others my not be
    Waste of my time really but I have to respond to this. My kids are 6 and 4 and I work for a cell phone company. Do they have phones? No. Will they someday? Yes. Will it be before they drive? Most likely.

To the OP in response to this
    a. I'm not sure what this even means, communicate normally. I guess I'm just making the point now more than ever before, kid's have access to a phone without having to have one themselves. Just about every adult I has a cell phone or the school has phones available to students.

b. see number 1 access to a phone
    a. Isn't it a bit presumptuous to assume ANYONE would take care of your kid's communications needs. Why should my kids or anyone else's pay for your unwillingness to get them a phone. It seems you see the value but are not willing to pay for it yourself. Where I come from we call that freeloading. Not to mention, I bet you have taught your kids not to talk to strangers. What if no one they know is around. No pay phones, no friends, no familiar adults? It could happen you know. You may not want it to, but it could. Wouldn't that be the time to have the peace of mind of knowing the could call you if the need arose?

b. In an emergency you foolishly assume your child would not be alone, in an unfamiliar place, or threatened by hostile forces. And really, in an EMERGENCY do you want your child to FIRST have to find the means to contact you or the authorities before actually doing so? You seem to miss the possibility that the person your child approaches for the use of their cell could BE the emergency. I guarantee your child reaching for their own phone when they need you wont result in a kidnapping or murder. Asking a stranger could. It would make sense to me for the child molester to target the kids with no phones. Who are they gonna call?

my 2 cents. I agree with the rest of the crowd. You've made up your mind.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    a little extra encouragement to keep their grades up and stay out of trouble.
    You can't beat your kids anymore so a parent has to have some kind of leverage.

LOL it works

My 13yr old has a phone and he occasionally goes to school football games and I text him randomly and he knows if I send him a text he has 60 seconds to take a picture of the scoreboard and send it to me.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flak1969 View Post
    You can't beat your kids anymore..... .
    oops....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

My 13yr old has a phone and he occasionally goes to school football games and I text him randomly and he knows if I send him a text he has 60 seconds to take a picture of the scoreboard and send it to me.
    LOL... Awesome!
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    My little one would have a Mobile Phone as earliest as they could use it.
    Just call me Berd.
  7.    #67  
    Nice!, I like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    My little one would have a Mobile Phone as earliest as they could use it.
    My daughter has had a Firefly since she was 5 or so (4 or 5 years ago). She can only make and receive calls from the preprogrammed numbers. It allows my wife and I to easily call her and tell her it's time to come home when she's playing at a friend's down the street. It allows her to call us if there's an issue that needs our attention. Eventually, she'll get a 'real' cellphone, but her current one lets her learn an appropriate degree of responsibility until that time.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    For me, the pluses outweigh the negatives. I think when I was a teenager, I would have LOVED to have had a cell phone and I think my parents would have loved for me to have had one, too. It would have made life so much easier. Baseball practice, after-school events, etc. Plus Sprint has the Family Locator option so you can track your kids and see where they are.

And you can block outgoing calls, incoming calls, Internet access, whatever... not all phones have Internet access or have to have it made available, you know. A cell phone CAN just be a cell phone!

/Kevin
    I agree, there are some reasons why a teenager should have a phone. A PHONE, not a PDA or smartphone. I see kids walking around with Blackberrys and Iphones and wonder why? To me, I remember the day of being challenged as a child. To have to remember all of my friends home telephone number...of having to pass notes not text messages...of sitting and playing a pick up game of football with my friends as we ALL waited for our parents to pick us up LATE. Im all for allowing a child a Phone for purposes like getting stranded and need a ride, check in with parents, etc. The kids with too much freedom tho I dont agree with. There are kids that sit and text all day instead of having open verbal conversations...does anyone think there may be a possibility that this could possibly result in a lack in social skills later in life? Maybe not in all, but verbal communication and spelling is slowly going downhill in kids and phones are partially to blame. Ask many teenagers to spell THANKS, or YOU...I bet you'll find many that say "THX" or "U". Dont believe me? Look how many adults there are that dont take the time or forget how to spell in emails due to short-texting.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Questions come up every year at this time, by parents wondering which cell phone is appropriate for their 11-13 year old

I honestly can't think of any reason a child that age would need a cell phone.

It's a battle I have with my own kids 13 and 10, that I just don't see how anything positive come from it.

Especially, when you consider the unfiltered internet access they provide. There was a discussion in another thread saying that the internet is available to kids everywhere so why worry about it on a phone as they'll just find other outlets.

To me these arguments that unfiltered internet is available everywhere is just a cop out. All the schools and libraries I know have filtered internet for minors. Unfiltered internet available at home would only exist because the parents have chosen not to utilize one of the many filtering programs.

So basically, that leaves multimedia cell phones as their primary access point for unsupervised internet browsing, a situation only created by the parent.

I'd like to hear the dissenting opinions.
    IF you're going to get your kid a cell phone, WATCH the text limits, internet usage limits, etc. I'd say a young teen only needs a cell phone to make or receive calls, and they'd darn well better answer it when it's the parents calling! No texting, no internet. If you DO allow these make sure you either get UNLIMITED or a LIMIT put on their account or trust me, you will get a huge bill. Having previously worked for Embarq (Sprint) customer service, I took call after call from shocked parents. Kids don't have the capacity to think about how much they've been using the service. I always pushed unlimited or limiting their accounts but time after time parents would tell me "Oh no, not my Johnny. He's very responsible. He won't go over the limit." OK, see for yourself I'd think! Trust me, these cell phone providers have very little sympathy when it comes to their money. And in a sense, they are right. It's your kid, and you should be in control.

I plan to allow my teen age kids to get a prepaid phone that they pay for on their own. That way, when they are out of minutes or features, they are out. It teaches bill paying, self restraint and money management. I'll get them started, but after that it's up to them.
  11.    #71  
    I agree, especially with the verbal skills, I watch many kids just sit there and live their whole social life texting on the phone. Can't see how that will not be a problem in the long run.
    I forgot to add one little trick that the kids are doing. So, the 16 year old missed curfew by and hour and you say "hand over your phone!" Got him, right? WRONG! If it's a phone that takes a SIM chip, like T-Mobile, ATT, just about every carrier BUT Sprint, they take the card out before handing over the phone without your knowledge and use it in their friends phone. LOL! Pretty tricky, so check for that SIM chip!
    My kid has had a cell phone since he was 8 years old, simply because I couldn't trust his mother to keep her own phone turned on; the kid needed something for emergencies.

He's 15 now, and it's only been in the last year that he's started using it look at **** (and yes, he does use it to look at ****, and yes, I know he's doing it).

My parenting choices and techniques may not be suitable for others, but in my situation, it made sense a year ago to openly acknowledge to my son that the phone could be used in that matter, and that I'd prefer to know about it than to pretend it wasn't happening. Perhaps I'm delusional, but he seems to be pretty open with me now about his relationship with his girlfriend (and no, for the curious, they're not sexually active - at least, not yet).
  14.    #74  
    i'm just curious do you let your son surf for **** with his friends and he let them surf on his phone. I respect your choices for your son but would have a problem if those choices spill over to others. No different than the parent that makes the choice they're fine with their child drinking and allowing it at home with the child's friends.
    Don't get your kids a data plan
    Younger kids might be better off with a prepaid phone. Give them a budget of $x a month for the phone; if they go over, the phone is now a brick until the next month. This allows kids to enjoy having a fun, without the risk of them becoming addicted to texting which can be detrimental in other ways.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I currently have two completely unused cell phones on my account that I dont want to pay early termination for. My sister wants to 'buy' the monthly fees from me so she can give the phones to her 9 and 10 year olds. The 10 yr old is not in activities and is holed up in his room when he doesn't have school so I don't see why he needs one. The 9 year old is in girl scouts, has playdates, adn sleepovers; so I think it would make more sense for her.

However, I worry about lost phones and minute overages. The phones are on the unlimited messaging plan so let them text away.

my question is ... can you do this -->>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    She can only make and receive calls from the preprogrammed numbers.
    ..... with a Sprint phone?
    We have one for our daughter with Family Locator turned on. Not that we're playing 'Big Brother', but because she's currently a latchkey child and her mom is a little paranoid...

Hey, now THERE's a cool app! Have an automatic sms notification when the user enters and/or leaves a specific GPS location. Hrrrmmm....
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jonfran21 View Post
    You've obviously not played sports as a youth and had siblings playing sports at the same time. Wait after practice for 1-2 hours because there's no way to contact your parents who are picking you up or who had to go pick your siblings up from their practices or games. Yeah, I'll be giving my kid a cell phone, maybe not a Pre/Pixi, but some way to call me.
    My after school sports activities were at the same place as my siblings, who after they were old enough were driving to/from practice anyway so it was never an issue. Of course, this was before cell phones became wide spread, so the only way that my parents could get a hold of me at these events would be to try to call the school.

Of course a lot of this could be mitigated by having the coaches publish a the practice and game schedules. With Google Calendar, it should be easy enough for them to distribute it the parents that request it and you could view the different events on your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    ... can you do this -->>>>>

..... with a Sprint phone?
    No idea. It's a feature of the Fireflys. They're designed for kids.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast