Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by bvinci1 View Post
    With the advent of cell phones, there are fewer and fewer pay phones just sitting around waiting on a customer. So the available landlines for a kid to use are just not as abundant anymore.

There are a lot of phones that limited or no internet access, and there are providers that can filter what content can make to a specific line. But the fact is 30 years ago my mom couldnt stop me from collecting playboy and your not going to stop your childs curiosities with adult oriented material.

Should you be on guard: YES. And maintaining involvement with the usage of technology in your childs life is essential so that they utilize the technology not get used by it.
    Let's be realistic, I know boys, especially, will ultimately find their ways to nude pictures out of curiosity, but playboy is a far cry from the full on sexual content available on the internet.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by bvinci1 View Post
    But the fact is 30 years ago my mom couldnt stop me from collecting playboy
    Pervert!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    It seems like some are painting me as the overprotective one, yet I'm not the one who needs 24/7 contact with my child.
    I won't speak for anyone else, but I don't make any assumptions about anyone else's parenting style, overprotectiveness, etc. We all have our own situation, and our decisions can be based upon any number of factors, including the safety of our local neighborhoods, the way we were parented, etc. There's no one right answer.

This topic is of interest to me, simply because I live with the ramification of widely diverse parenting styles (being a school administrator).
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Well then where are your kids that an adult isn't present, either a coach, teacher, etc. What activities do you have where you leave your kid and no adults are around? I'm talking an 11 year old here, not a high schooler
    First of all, no one said you were overprotective, nor are we. We simply USE the technology available to make life easier on us as parents and them as children.

I think my perception is that you are sheltering your children from changing times.

Secondly, have you ever left the kids at home without adult supervision? Ever allowed them to go play out in the neighborhood? Drop them off at a skating rink? If so, then those are the times they will NOT have adults there who are supervising them.
    I have two girls. Ages 13 and 10. They both have HTC touch pros. They have had their phones for over a year now.

For me. It is a security thing and it makes life easier.

They take their phones with them when they go out to play, or to a friends house. I have the sprint family locator on our account. If they have a sleep over and need to talk to me in the middle of the night, they can without bothering anyone.

They can text their friends and stay in touch. We don't have a landline, so before they had to use our cellphones. Which was annoying.
    Last edited by Mom2Ninjas; 12/02/2009 at 12:58 PM.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    They go places without me, but not places without some type of adult involved that I could contact if necessary. I'm not one that just drops my kid's off at the mall.
    Im sure you let your kids out to play. If you dont i feel sorry for them lol. Either way a cell phone isnt that big of a deal. No kids dont need them. We all didnt have them. But lets be realistic. Times have changed and it just makes things a little easyier and even safer. Thats all the technology really does. I would bet that most kids do have cell phones now. As for going on the internet and looking at nudes... It happens either way. Just scare em a little into thinking you get it on the phone bill and they wont try it till 14. lol. But yes all boys look up nudes. Even without a cell phone someone else has one and they wont be alone looking at it anyway.
    They go places without me, but not places without some type of adult involved that I could contact if necessary. I'm not one that just drops my kid's off at the mall.
    My Mom use to take me to basketball practice and go run errands. She thought that was ok since he was my high school basketball coach. Guy was later arrested for molesting a girl on the team who's mom was late picking her up because the practice times had changed. A phone could have really helped her avoid a lot of pain in that scenerio. Is this common NO. Would a phone have helped. YES
    www.ppcgeeks.com
  8.    #48  
    Honestly, I doubt a cell phone would have helped, a sexual predator probably would have unfortunately found a way to pray on that girl with or without a cell phone. Very sad story, but a cell phone is not going to stop a ******.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    This thread should be closed. It's clear that the OP is not looking for varying opinions, and had their mind made up before posting the initial question.

OP, don't get your kids cellphones if you don't think they should have them.

And YES, in the particular instance mentioned above, a cellphone WOULD have helped. The mother was picking up the daughter at the original time, and if the girl had a cellphone, she could have called her mother and let her know that the time had changed or that she was getting a ride with a friend, thereby avoiding the time spent alone with the "trustworthy coach".
    Last edited by jye75; 12/02/2009 at 01:14 PM.
    Honestly, I doubt a cell phone would have helped, a sexual predator probably would have unfortunately found a way to pray on that girl with or without a cell phone. Very sad story, but a cell phone is not going to stop a ******.
    If she had had the cellphone... She wouldn't have been left there alone with him. Therefore not giving him the perfect opportunity to take advantage of her.
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    This thread should be closed. It's clear that the OP is not looking for varying opinions, and had their mind made up before posting the initial question.

OP, don't get your kids cellphones if you don't think they should have them.
    I agree. Why ask if you are going to argue every point made.

It is really simple. If you don't want your kids to have one. Don't get them one. All you have to say to justify it is "Because I said No". You are their parent.

Everyone else has their reasons that justify their kids having one to them. Your arguments are not going to change our minds or make us feel bad about our decisions. So this whole thread was a waste of space since you had your mind made up before you posted it.
    www.ppcgeeks.com
  12.    #52  
    Not true, I think the two people who brought up the fact for financial reasons they have forgone a landline make a compelling case for a child needing access to a phone. This was a scenario I had not considered, additionally I'm not so myopic that if my circumstances financially were different and I lived in an inherently dangerous neighborhood, I would feel safer with my kids having a cell phone.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Not true, I think the two people who brought up the fact for financial reasons they have forgone a landline make a compelling case for a child needing access to a phone.
    How is THAT more compelling than:

a) Allowing the child a way to communicate normally, when they are not with you?

b) Allowing the child lifeline during an emergency?
    Really, your children are always with you or an adult you trust? My childhood certainly wasn't like that. I can remember several occasions over when a cellphone would have been very useful for contacting my parents (or they me). These days of course, children are supposed to be under adult supervision until the age of 12.

Before the age of the cellphone, wasn't it common in this country for parents to get a second phone line? Cellphones are just the modern version of that.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    These days of course, children are supposed to be under adult supervision until the age of 12.
    Depends on where you live. Being a veteran of the Air Force, and moving around quite a bit, it ranges all over the country. Some states don't even have a minimum limit and leave it up to the discretion of the parent.
    Quote Originally Posted by jye75 View Post
    Depends on where you live. Being a veteran of the Air Force, and moving around quite a bit, it ranges all over the country. Some states don't even have a minimum limit and leave it up to the discretion of the parent.
    True, I meant to add "in some states".
  17.    #57  
    How is THAT more compelling than:

a) Allowing the child a way to communicate normally, when they are not with you?

b) Allowing the child lifeline during an emergency?

a. I'm not sure what this even means, communicate normally. I guess I'm just making the point now more than ever before, kid's have access to a phone without having to have one themselves. Just about every adult I has a cell phone or the school has phones available to students.

b. see number 1 access to a phone

I never said in my original post, I was looking for someone to convince me, on the contrary I was just trying to understand someone else's choices.

I already know how I'll handle cell phones with my kids.

Why request the thread closed? If your done with it move on, others my not be
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Questions come up every year at this time, by parents wondering which cell phone is appropriate for their 11-13 year old

I honestly can't think of any reason a child that age would need a cell phone.
    A generalized answer is probably not helpful to anyone here, so I will only state our case. We provided our oldest daughter a cell phone at 12 because she regularly performs with a professional dance troop/halau in various locations, sometimes overnight or over a weekend. Since also have other kids in various activities, we can't get her to all the events. We have set up car pools with other parents. Sometimes they take her, other times we take their kids.

The only way my 12 (now 14 y.o.) daughter is going on such outings is with people I trust with her life and with a way for us to stay in contact that does not rely on a third party. Paranoid? Not completely, but enough.

By the way, SHE paid for the phone with money she scraped up from babysitting, small shows on the side, gifts, etc. We pay the additional few bucks to add her to our shared plan. She has trashed two phones already (both involved water and were due to the carelessness of others). She accepted a hand-me-down the first time and then SHE paid the second time, which occurred after she qualified for an upgrade. If the kid doesn't feel a sense of their own investment, they generally won't treat things with respect. She takes great care of her phone as a result.

She has also lost phone privileges on a few occasions, so she knows we are serious about how she uses it (and chores and attitude, etc.). Your mileage may vary.

Chris
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longhorntreo View Post
    how is that more compelling than:
    still have not answered this^

a) allowing the child a way to communicate normally, when they are not with you?

B) allowing the child lifeline during an emergency?

A. I'm not sure what this even means, communicate normally. I guess i'm just making the point now more than ever before, kid's have access to a phone without having to have one themselves. Just about every adult i has a cell phone or the school has phones available to students.
    as in, they want to communicate with you or someone else without it having to be an emergency.
    b. See number 1 access to a phone
    there is no guarantee that they will have access to someone else's phone or a landline during an emergency.

i never said in my original post, i was looking for someone to convince me, on the contrary i was just trying to understand someone else's choices.

I already know how i'll handle cell phones with my kids.

Why request the thread closed? because at the time, you were not demonstrating your desire to understand someone else's choices, you were just arguing against them. If your done with it move on, i'm not done with it because you keep addressing my points directly, while still trying to invalidate other opinions on the matter. others my not be
    I can see valid reasons for kids that age to have a cell phone. If I had kids that age, you can bet if I gave them internet capable phones, every now and then, randomly, they'd hear "Let me see your phone for a minute".
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast