Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, I was thinking of buying a pair of nice jeans online. However, the pairs I found had inseams of 33 or 36 inches.

I was just wondering, if I was going to hem them down to 31 inches after I buy them anyway, is there a difference between jeans with 33 or 36" initial inseam lengths (i.e. are all other aspects of the jeans completely the same)?

I am asking this because the 36" variant is cheaper, but I don't want to buy it if hemming it by 5 inches down to 31" will distort it more so than if it was 33" to begin with (in which case I would only hem it by 2 inches).

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mxu030 View Post
    Hey everyone, I was thinking of buying a pair of nice jeans online. However, the pairs I found had inseams of 33 or 36 inches.

I was just wondering, if I was going to hem them down to 31 inches after I buy them anyway, is there a difference between jeans with 33 or 36" initial inseam lengths (i.e. are all other aspects of the jeans completely the same)?

I am asking this because the 36" variant is cheaper, but I don't want to buy it if hemming it by 5 inches down to 31" will distort it more so than if it was 33" to begin with (in which case I would only hem it by 2 inches).

Thanks!
    I seriously recommend AGAINST purchasing jeans online. Different manufacturers have serious differences in sizes. And with what these "nice" jeans cost you should go into a nice store and get the full fitting treatment.

If you where replacing a pair of 501s that you know fit you I would say it would be ok to order online.
    yeah, even within the same brand their are discrepancies in sizing. it's because of the way the material is cut in bulk. i try on EVERY pair of jeans.

in regards to your question, there will be distortion depending on the cut. a boot cut or tapered bottom will of course look incorrect if shortened as drastically as 5 inches. a true straight leg will yield better results, but that is still a lot to take off.