Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I liked the Netflix model, and subscribed in December 2001. Where I am, it's typically $3-$4 for a DVD rental. With Netflix, it's $20 for 3 DVDs without a hard due-date. Pretty cool. In terms of rentals, I'd need to rent about the same number to break-even. In terms of Netflix, I'd need to checkout at least 4 titles to make my monthly $20 worthwhile. However, that also means that I need to watch at least 4 movies a month ad-nuseum to be ahead of the game. Yeah, watching a movie once a week, or even 2 movies during the week may not seem like a lot of time, but after a while, it got to me. In the last weeks of my subscription, I was thinking more about what I need to watch in order to break-even, rather than what I want to watch. In the end, I finally cancelled my subscription, but kept my local video membership - $20 for 10 DVD rentals, good anytime.

The Netflix model is good, but one really has to watch a lot of movies, even at the modest cost of $20, to really get your money's worth.

Just my USD 0.02.
    Experience is what happens when something unexpected comes up.
    I recently signed up for Netflix, but I don't plan to keep it after the 2 week trial period. It IS really cool, but I figure that I rarely watch more than 3 movies a month. They have a MUCH bigger DVD selection than Blockbuster, which is what I liked about it. And they arrived in 2 days from Flushing, NY. IF you watch enough movies, it's worth it, I just wish they had some kind of cheaper service, maybe like you pay for each DVD you have out, or pay less for fewer DVDs at a time. . . I don't know. But it's definately really neat.
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    You can get it for $14/month with 2 out at a time vs $20 with 3 out at a time.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
    Wow, I didn't see that anywhere. Where's that?
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    I found it when I went to cancel.
    My Treo has more memory than I do.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12