Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    how do you score in curling?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Rocks closest to the center of the circle score points.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Doesn't that sport look like fun? Its like chess on ice...lots of strategy & thought...I'm hooked!
    Its is one of Canada's national sports..very popular in the praries..nver learn it though...seems like bowling on ice....but more boring than bowling.
    Curling Basics

This has got interactive information that discusses rules, techniques and terminology.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    how do you score in curling?
    don't waste time trying to figure it out, just remember GB = Gold,

well it is our first winter olympic gold since 1984!
    What I don't understand is: is it who's stone is closest at the END of the game, or at any point in the game? I've seem the way they knock each other's rocks around. . .
    -Bernie

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.
    -Dan Quayle
    Waaahhhh! I miss CBC!
    DLPanther
    "When All Else Fails, Improvise!"
    Originally posted by ernieba1
    What I don't understand is: is it who's stone is closest at the END of the game, or at any point in the game? I've seem the way they knock each other's rocks around. . .
    The stone that is closest to the center at any point in the game is called the shot rock. It could potentially score a point, but it's not until the end of the game that the rocks closest to the center (the button) are counted for points.
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    Originally posted by DLPanther
    Waaahhhh! I miss CBC!
    i know how you feel.

i miss watching monday night hockey on CBC and getting good commentary. Hockey on ESPN just doesn't cut it. the commentary just plain sucks. they spend too much time blabbering on about other things and not enough time calling the play.

unfortunately for me, i don't live anywhere near an NHL city, so ESPN is my only source of hockey games.

and no curling, no CFL, no cycling, no track and field, etc etc

*Sigh* i just need to move back home...
    I'm hooked after watching. Me and a buddy are planning on learning the sport. I figure we have 3 years to prepare for the next winter Olympics in France, and there's actually a Houston curling club.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by JHromadka
    I'm hooked after watching. Me and a buddy are planning on learning the sport. I figure we have 3 years to prepare for the next winter Olympics in France, and there's actually a Houston curling club.
    just don't call it shuffle board on ice.

they don't like it. :-)

BTW, the link abopve to the curling page had a lot of good info.

Maybe I can represent Puerto Rico in four years.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Curling is not as bad as I thought but it is still not as exciting as hockey. But at least curling is a sport, unlike "ice dancing."

Good luck on making the curling team for the Turin, Italy games in 2006.

Jason
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Curling is not as bad as I thought but it is still not as exciting as hockey.
    Both are great sports. The advantage with curling is that it's a lot easier to suck down a few beers while playing it.

The problem that Curling has, IMHO, when compared with the rest of the olympic sports are:

a) There is no contact or risk of serious injury (which speed skating, hockey, and all of the down-hill sports have)

and

b) They don't wear skin-tight unitards (which pretty much all of the winter sports have).

If they would only trip each other once in a while and wear skin-tight tights, I think they may get a bit more air-time.

That said, Kudos to NBC for showing so much of it on CNBC.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    hey everyone!

not a bad winter olympics eh? i'm still shocked that the canadian men's curling lost the gold by literally millimeters!! and i'm also annoyed that the women choked after ruling the preliminaries. Oh well, that's what makes it all so exciting!!

as for missing the CBC, i agree. I lived in Maryland for a little under 3 years and finally came back to canada last summer (so i sympathize with you IAMBUG)

Curling is actually REALLY fun to play and it's also a REALLY social event (lots of beer drinking, story sharing, and tons of joking around) which wasn't really portrayed by NBC (or the CBC for that matter) during the games.

As for the 'tights' complaint from homer, the some of the women up here wear black stockings and "above the knee" kilts when playing.....I personally like the look! and better than the 'track suits' worn at the olympics!!

Glad to see it has taken on a following... there's a movie that just previewed tonight and opening across the country on Friday called "Men with Brooms" which is about 4 guys that come together in their small town after 20 years to re-unite and re-form their championship winning curling team! (has members of the Tragically Hip in the cast!)

http://www.serendipitypoint.com/menw...s/frameset.asp

I think it's only opening in Canada, but i hope the recent increase in popularity it gets down to the states and around the world.

I'll post a review after I see it if you'd like?
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Hoser, by all means post a review. I'll rent it if it comes out on DVD somewhere.

The Houston Curling Club (yes there is one!) is having their finals this Sunday. I'm going to check it out if I can get up early enough.

For those that have played, do you generally play in tennis shoes or is it something special? It looks like one shoe is slick and another is used for pushing off.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Hoser, by all means post a review. I'll rent it if it comes out on DVD somewhere.

The Houston Curling Club (yes there is one!) is having their finals this Sunday. I'm going to check it out if I can get up early enough.

For those that have played, do you generally play in tennis shoes or is it something special? It looks like one shoe is slick and another is used for pushing off.
    On one foot (the sliding foot) you wear a teflon slider. Sometimes it's just a little thing you slip over your shoe, but you can get dedicated shoes too I imagine. I've only seen the slide on things.

And if you do make it to the bonspiel, i'm sure you'll be in for an interesting time. I expect you'll find it quite a bit louder than you anticipate. Not only are there people usually yelling at the stone, but the sheet has a pebbled texture to it (not smooth like skating ice) so the rocks make a loud rumbling as they slide down the sheet.

Have fun!

Looking forward to a review of the movie hoser!
    Whatsup with the yelling the stone? Do they actually think that the stone is going to respond to their yelling?
    Well sure why not? Just like my truck responds to my yelling by running even worse.
    Originally posted by yardie
    Whatsup with the yelling the stone? Do they actually think that the stone is going to respond to their yelling?
    same thing bowlers do with their bodies when the ball is rolling towards the pin i guess

actually they're usually yelling instructions to the two sweeping/brushing ahead of the stone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast