1.    #1  
    So I got an email from my ISP (the Phone Co.) about a "starter" DSL plan they're now offering. As near as I can figure from their info, it's some kind of shared DSL, as there's another plan with "dedicated" DSL that has faster data transfer rates. Their specs list speeds up to 950 kbs downstream/120 kbs upstream. Their claim is that it can be up to 15 times faster than a 56K dial-up modem connection.
    Is this likely to be true on a regular, continuous basis? The rate is only about $3 more per month than basic dial-up, so I'm thinking it may not be worth it.
    I would be grateful for any info or advice.
    For only $3 more then its worth it...But did they state a minimum download/upload speed?
    My DSL line is very consistant. I pay for the 1.6Mbps dl / 120kbps upload.

The difference between cable modems and DSL are that with Cable, you are at the mercy of others on your subnet (which is most likely other people in your neighborhood). If they are doing heavy downloads, your download speeds will decrease. Unlike with DSL, you are not effected by others.

Personnally, I love DSL, and it's made my computer/the internet a true appliance to my household. If you are only talking a couple of bucks a month, go for it!
    Jazzlover,

I have tried Bell Sympatico internet in the past. It is pretty good and seems to be roughly the same speed as cable based on the tests I have done.
    Check out this site and their forums for DSL. You may find a little more information there.

DSL Reports

They also have speed tests and tweaks. You can find information on what speeds others on your ISP are getting. And, you should be able to find the good and bad about your future provider.

I have grown quite fond of my Mindspring DSL and should I ever hit skid row...it'll be the last thing I cut...
    If at first you don't succeed....hide all evidence that you tried...
    Be advised that download and upload speeds will be much, much better than any modem and less impacted by how many people are in your local "area" such as with Cable modem. However, if the service doesn't have enough server's dedicated to the DSL connection you can suffer loss of transfer rate as well. LarryN is correct that speeds are not dependent upon other local users but it is dependent upon the load on the server.

PacBell is my provider, for over a year, and you can see when they've added a lot of DSL customers and then when they added new server's to handle the increased demand. It's barely noticeable - but you can see the speed difference's through out the day. Still much better than 56K.

Double check your local provider has enough servers to handle current demand and future demand.

Often times, the speed is determined by the hook up by your local phone company. You might be able to convince the installer to install equipment that allows you the faster speed without paying the price. My local installer stated that my line was capable of 4MPS transfer rates but that to protect the phone companies hardware - they limit their speeds as insurance and maintenance purposes.

If you download large email file(s) attachments or transfer a lot of pictures then DSL is definitely worth the price. If you are just surfing the net and you usually surf the same pages over and over then I'd said, check your internet software and have it cache more pages and then save the money.

My two cents.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    ... If you are just surfing the net and you usually surf the same pages over and over then I'd said, check your internet software and have it cache more pages and then save the money.
    Thanks RSGMOOSE, and everybody else for the help. The DSL Reports site is a great source of info.
    Not sure how to make the adjustments to my browser (IE 5) that you suggest. Can you offer a hint or two?
    Ok to change your "cache" settings:

In IE 5.0 or above, go to the menu Tools/Internet Options/General Tabthen chose settings in the Temporary Internet Files area. Check the Radio Button for Automatically Check for New Versions of Stored Pages. Also, then look at the size alloted for "Temporary Internet Files Folder" slider scale and increase this a size that fit's your needs based upon your hard drive size. This is where the "cache" is and IE starts overwriting files if this setting is not large enough. I have a 40GB hard drive and have this setting set at 5 GB but I'm running DSL.

Ok, next go to the Advanced Tab under this same menu and you'll be able to change some other settings underneath the Multimedia settings such as uncheck, Play Sounds, Play Videos, Play Animations. By turning these features off you'll speed up "loads" of pages that have a bunch of this stuff on them.

Now, don't fret - all of the above settings can easily be restored by selecting the Restore Defaults options on each tab.

While your in the Temporary Internet Files Folder area - check out your file locations and the number of files contained within. You might be amazed at how much stuff stays on your computer even when your not on line.

Also, if you do go DSL - make certain that you get a firewall either software or hardware or both. If you set up the software for high security - you might be amazed at how many times a "junk" email will attack your system asking for a response from your email program that contains your email address. I'm constantly getting warning messages from "spammers" that want my system to confirm my email address.

Good luck and hope some of this helped.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.