Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    To all the people who gave me suggestions for my cross country trip with my wife.

    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...g+to+YOUR+town

    Much of what was suggested to me focused on Texas and the South West which is good because that is where we are having our biggest problems deciding...

    There is just so much to do in that part of the country and we cannot do it all! We are still snagged on :

    Big Bend NP vs Guadalupe Mountains NP (TX)
    Gila Dwellings NM vs Sandia Peak vs Mesa Verde NP (NM and CO)
    What part of the Grand Canyon to hike (we are thinking south side because of the time of year (Spring)
    Bryce vs Zion (UT)

    Any suggestions about San Diego besides the Zoo. What beach is nice to go relax on or go for a swim?

    If driving up Rt 1 in California, any good stops between LA andn San Fran?

    Again thanks for the suggestions, we are really taking them into consideration!
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by maddog
    If driving up Rt 1 in California, any good stops between LA andn San Fran?
    There are quite a few. Can't remember which of these are on Rt. 1/PCH as opposed to US 101 (jeez, I spent 21 years living in CA and now that I've been gone for 5 years, all sense of geography is rapidly evaporating), but some potential stops (although hardly an exhaustive list), from south to north as best I can remember:

    Santa Barbara - about 1 hr north of where 101 leaves LA county. PCH must run near it somewhere

    San Luis Obispo - nice little town

    San Simeon - home of Hearst Castle

    Big Sur - Redwoods, hiking, camping, great views...lots of state parks in the area (although the famed Esalen hot springs are apparently closed to public access...too bad, they're great)

    Monterey - gorgeous town, famous aquarium

    Santa Cruz - hmm, how best to describe Santa Cruz...let's just stick with: it's a beautiful town with an eclectic mix of people. (Also the setting for the Lost Boys if you're into movie trivia like that.)

    Oh, and don't forget to enjoy the fantastic views from PCH as you drive up the coast (as long as you pay attention to the road...it can be pretty twisty).


    Jeff
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by maddog

    If driving up Rt 1 in California, any good stops between LA andn San Fran?
    Everyone needs to stop at the Madonna Inn in San Louis Obispo atleast once. Its certainly memorable, and not outragiously expensive. http://www.madonnainn.com/
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by jsbernstein


    There are quite a few. Can't remember which of these are on Rt. 1/PCH as opposed to US 101 (jeez, I spent 21 years living in CA and now that I've been gone for 5 years, all sense of geography is rapidly evaporating), but some potential stops (although hardly an exhaustive list), from south to north as best I can remember:

    Santa Barbara - about 1 hr north of where 101 leaves LA county. PCH must run near it somewhere

    San Luis Obispo - nice little town

    San Simeon - home of Hearst Castle

    Big Sur - Redwoods, hiking, camping, great views...lots of state parks in the area (although the famed Esalen hot springs are apparently closed to public access...too bad, they're great)

    Monterey - gorgeous town, famous aquarium

    Santa Cruz - hmm, how best to describe Santa Cruz...let's just stick with: it's a beautiful town with an eclectic mix of people. (Also the setting for the Lost Boys if you're into movie trivia like that.)

    Oh, and don't forget to enjoy the fantastic views from PCH as you drive up the coast (as long as you pay attention to the road...it can be pretty twisty).


    Jeff

    PCH ends in Oxnard (70 miles north of LA) but becomes part of the 101. It's a beautiful drive up the 101 from there all the way up the coast (I like the drive from Ventura (my home town) to Santa barbara.

    I would say go to the north side of grand canyon. I've been to west, south, and north. I liked the north rim the best, it's not a desert like south and west rims but rather has a lot of trees and is very woodsy feeling. Check out Angel point (i think that's what it's called)

    I would also suggest zion over bryce.. Make sure you make reservations early though since it is a very popular spot camping and hotel. One of the most interesting aspects of zion is the very long (2 miles i think) tunnel going into Zion.

    In san luis obispo i would recommend the Apple Farm (VERY GOOD FOOD) and a nice hotel. And McClintoks (sp?), a very good steak restaurant, pay close attention to their water pooring techniques
    If you're in the san luis obisipo/san simeon area check out the small town of morro bay. Very gorgeous.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

    "It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by ashmed



    PCH ends in Oxnard (70 miles north of LA) but becomes part of the 101. It's a beautiful drive up the 101 from there all the way up the coast (I like the drive from Ventura (my home town) to Santa barbara.

    The 101 doesn't stay along the coast all the way north. PCH and 101 DO merge around Oxnard, but they separate again just north of Santa Barbara, where the 101 turns inland. They cross and/or merge a few more times up the coast, but overall they're separate roads.

    Ok, now you've made me doubt my memory, so I had to pull out a map and doublecheck Take a look north of SB, somewhere around Lompoc, and you'll see that they split again until just before San Luis Obispo, where they merge for a short stretch before separating again. In general, PCH stays along the coast (and is much smaller and more twisty) while 101 stays further inland and is usually more of a freeway or wide highway.


    Jeff
  6. #6  
    Oh, been awhile since i've been up in that area. Thanks for correcting me. We don't want maddog missing out on such a great area of california because I forgot the PCH contintued
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

    "It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home

Posting Permissions