Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hannity video switch-up is only the tip of Fox News' video-doctoring iceberg

On his Fox News show, Sean Hannity misleadingly aired video from the 9-12 March on Washington while discussing Rep. Michele Bachmann's (R-MN) much smaller November 5 anti-health care reform rally to claim that "twenty-thousand plus" people showed up to Bachmann's protest. Hannity's video switch-up -- which Jon Stewart highlighted on The Daily Show -- is just the latest example of Fox News hosts' extensive history of deceptively using video and photos to advance a false or misleading story line.
    Yeah....that's a surprise.

Make sure you watch the clip....it's hilarious
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Coming from a different country and now living in the United States I have some outside-looking-in observations:

1. Conservatives love this country. They respect its history and its founding documents.
    2. Liberals seem to hate this country. They have this need to apologize to other nations for America's rudeness, pride, and insensitivity. Without America I do not think the country where I came from would be a free country today.
    3. Where I come from all I have is CNN and MSNBC. Now I have Fox. Here now is my assessment. I find the liberal media one sided and do more cover ups as compared to Fox, that is if Fox is making cover ups at all. Also journalism is absent in the liberal media while in Fox I think they really are "fair and balanced."

Just my 2 cents.
    I'm sure this is done now and again by many media outlets regardless of which side of the house the public perceives them to be aligned with. This week it's Fox, next week....

As an Alien myself I have to disagree with Jewel completely. To imply that half the citizens of the USA hate their own country is ludicrous. Both conservative and liberal groups seem to take their country very seriously, both want to see it continue to prosper, both want to see change and both think their vision is the right one.

The great thing about the USA (and similar nations) is that these groups can work together, live in peace and provide a stable and safe environment for the people. I personally dislike current American politics but greatly respect the process.
    You mean like when NBC did an interview with Pres Bush last year and they edited the video of the interview so that his answers didn't match up with the questions? Now that is real journalism....if the answer isn't what you want, well, just attach the answer you want to a question. That is clearly fair and balanced, LOL.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I had a similar debate over brunch this past weekend. It seems the perception by conservatives is that journalism, true journalism, is by it's nature liberal, therefore propping up a right wing copy of it and calling it fair and balanced is...well...fair.

I would argue the last thing this country needs is to continue to polarize the media into MSNBC and FOX camps but rather to support those sources of true journalism where ever we find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I had a similar debate over brunch this past weekend. It seems the perception by conservatives is that journalism, true journalism, is by it's nature liberal, therefore propping up a right wing copy of it and calling it fair and balanced is...well...fair.

I would argue the last thing this country needs is to continue to polarize the media into MSNBC and FOX camps but rather to support those sources of true journalism where ever we find it.
    To expand on that. Practically every nation has an English version of their newspapers available. From Europe to the Middle East and on to Asia. It really opens your eyes.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

LOL.

jouralists are often indoctrinated right from the start. Also, using John Leibowitz as a source for news must be a joke. That said; I prefer printed news. The tv cycles are predictable.

You know I used to think the same thing, but I've changed my mind. The truth is that the concept of an impartial or unbiased media is really modern idiosyncrasy. Needing to have an unbiased media was all good and fine when there were only 3 major television news options. In today's media jungle, I think a media outlet has to find a niche to survive and cater to a particular audience. If you think about it, the cable news industry today is more like the newspaper industry a hundred years ago. At the turn of the 20th century, there were many more newspapers in this country then there are today. Many were very partisan and vocal proponents of a particular party or ideology. You could say these newspapers were the foxnews and msnbc of their day. I think era of limited options and pseudo-impartiality of television media was an aberration. I don't mind options and want the ability to have as many veiwpoints represented as possible...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    When a communications professor actually told my class (13 yrs ago) that it was the job of the media to influence the debate I pretty much gave up on independent news - such a thing hasn't existed for at least 20 years.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I'm not sure about the Conservatives you talk to but this is not an accurate representation at all, in my opinion. But I'm curios, what argument would you give to support this claim?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    To expand on that. Practically every nation has an English version of their newspapers available. From Europe to the Middle East and on to Asia. It really opens your eyes.
    It does. But I think no matter which news source you go to, from any country around the globe, you'll find one prevailing fact: the more you know about a subject, the more you know that the story you just read about that subject is inaccurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    When a communications professor actually told my class (13 yrs ago) that it was the job of the media to influence the debate I pretty much gave up on independent news - such a thing hasn't existed for at least 20 years.
    20 years!?!? Hah! Try since the inception of our Country! I read:
    Infamous Scribblers: The Founding Fathers and the Rowdy Beginnings of American Journalism by Eric Burns

a couple of years ago. What a hoot! What was passed off for journalism then makes MSNBC and FOX look like the News Hour! I like Eric Burns. He was the host of the only Fox News show I Tivo'd; Fox News Watch, because he was fair and balanced. I think that's why they replaced him with another host which I'm sure lead to a dive in the ratings cause they canceled it within a few weeks.

Point being, a free press is ESSENTIAL to a democratic society. If we keep pushing journalism into advocate corners we'll be losing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I'm not sure about the Conservatives you talk to but this is not an accurate representation at all, in my opinion. But I'm curios, what argument would you give to support this claim?
    I believe that the stereotype of journalism being liberal is that by it's nature it's purpose is to keep an eye on those in charge. Whether they be politicians or businesses poisoning the community at a profit. By it's nature it asks questions of the status quo which is contrary to a Conservative attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    It does. But I think no matter which news source you go to, from any country around the globe, you'll find one prevailing fact: the more you know about a subject, the more you know that the story you just read about that subject is inaccurate.
    What you learn is that communication and approach make all the difference in the world. If you approach someone aggressively, you'll normally get an aggressive response. If you approach someone assertively and respectfully, you get a more understanding response.

Many times we look like arrogant bullies to others, and that could have been avoided with the right approach.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

15.    #15  
    I noticed that Hannity issued a major apology to viewers and agreed that John Stewart was correct. The funny thing is that he made a big point of saying it was inadvertant. Right. Like the rest of their lies. Encouraging participants in rallies to jump up and down when they're being filmed, giving talking points to participants when they film them....great journalism. CNN has the occasional news person that lets their opinions run over onto camera....but they don't make crap up.
    im in sales print side, prior to this managed a couple of radio stations and a tv station, i can in my own little opinion state most reporters are egotistical .......... with little regard to what is the truth.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm sure this is done now and again by many media outlets regardless of which side of the house the public perceives them to be aligned with. This week it's Fox, next week....

As an Alien myself I have to disagree with Jewel completely. To imply that half the citizens of the USA hate their own country is ludicrous. Both conservative and liberal groups seem to take their country very seriously, both want to see it continue to prosper, both want to see change and both think their vision is the right one.

The great thing about the USA (and similar nations) is that these groups can work together, live in peace and provide a stable and safe environment for the people. I personally dislike current American politics but greatly respect the process.
    Liberals make up 20% of the US population not half of it, at least that's what the Gallup poll says. And with my experience with them all I see is hatred and loathing for life, in general, and for their country.

I came to this country with a hatred for the President, George Bush. I dislike America for going to Iraq and for "invading", bullying other nations. These and the other messages that I got from the liberal media is summed up in two words, "America sucks." When I discovered conservative media (which happened accidentally, by the way, while randomly switching my radio tuner) I was surprised to hear that there are people who are proud of their country, their heritage, their positive contribution to the world. I did not immediately knew that there were two ideologies that are at play. All I knew at that time was, "Okay these guys over here have negative views about their country most of the time. Oh, they call themselves liberals. And over here are interesting folks who are saying positive things about their country. Conservatives. That's what they call themselves." With the conservative media I have learned not to hate Obama but his policies.

Again, this is just my personal experience.
  18. KAM1138
    20 years!?!? Hah! Try since the inception of our Country! I read:

Point being, a free press is ESSENTIAL to a democratic society. If we keep pushing journalism into advocate corners we'll be losing that.
    That is true--our founding era had blatantly biased newspapers and pamphlets.

However, we've developed the idea that a free, unbiased press is a good thing, and it is. We don't have much of it.

Advocate "journalism" is dominated by liberals in the so-called mainstream media--Most major newspapers, Network news broadcasts. Conservatives dominate talk radio. Blogs are split.

However, the current leadership in Washington has suggested attempts to regulate (read destroy) Conservatives hold on the areas they have dominated--see the Fairness Doctrine, and its other offshoots they've started looking into. The Obama administration has made some statements that they don't support the Fairness doctrine, and then appoint someone at the FCC who is focusing on those same goals.

So, Citizens should beware of ALL attempts by any party to silence those they oppose, because some day you will be on that opposing side.

KAM
  19. KAM1138
    I believe that the stereotype of journalism being liberal is that by it's nature it's purpose is to keep an eye on those in charge. Whether they be politicians or businesses poisoning the community at a profit. By it's nature it asks questions of the status quo which is contrary to a Conservative attitude.
    Yes, wouldn't it be wonderful if that is actually what occurred? It doesn't and isn't. I maintain that President Obama is in large part a Media creation, and would remain a petty Chicago politician if not for the Media fawning over him and specifically avoiding "questioning" him, his views, his goals, etc.

Only recently have the majority of the mainstream Media started to pull back on their adoration of Obama.

Wouldn't it have been interesting to see how eager people would have been to vote for "hope and change" if we had a media that asked the tough questions instead of forwarding campaign propaganda.

KAM
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAM1138 View Post
    Yes, wouldn't it be wonderful if that is actually what occurred? It doesn't and isn't. I maintain that President Obama is in large part a Media creation, and would remain a petty Chicago politician if not for the Media fawning over him and specifically avoiding "questioning" him, his views, his goals, etc.

Only recently have the majority of the mainstream Media started to pull back on their adoration of Obama.

Wouldn't it have been interesting to see how eager people would have been to vote for "hope and change" if we had a media that asked the tough questions instead of forwarding campaign propaganda.

KAM

Yeah. Wouldn't it have been interesting to see what would have happened in the 2000 and 2004 elections if the biased liberal media had only given up their control of the voting public. If there ever was an insidious media creation, it was "compassionate conservatism" and the thought of that born-again Bush actually bringing people together.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast