1.    #1  
    Ok... so I know that I shouldn't be using it as an email program, but I am, so no flames please!!

I'm trying to figure out where Outlook XP stores the mail messages. I have to reformat my comptuer, and so reinstall everything after. I would like to be able to keep all my email messages saved in all the different folders. I know that this was possible with Outlook Express (I once found out what file you had to save), but would like to know how to do the same with Outlook.

Well, that was rather convoluted. In summary--where are the folders and their associated email messages stored in Outlook XP?

thanks,
    Juggler
    Look for files *.pst on the drive (C: ?) that you installed Outlook on . It'll probably be Outlook.pst.

. . . . Brian
  3.    #3  
    Would the outlook.pst file include all the messages in the "Sent Items" as well?
    As far as I know, the *.pst file holds all the information in your mail profile. ie Inbox, Sent Items, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks etc.

If you use the outlook archiving options, you may find you have two .pst files on your pc - one with live data, the other with the archived data.

This is not the case when your outlook mail profile connecting to ms exchange where outlook just provides an interface to the exchange database on the server.
    IanP is correct. All you need to do is to make a copy of the Outlook.pst file and then replace it when you reformat. It is in a hidden folder, so make sure that you have show hidden files showing. It should work seamlessly. This is how I sync outlook between my desktop and laptop.
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the info!

ahead with the format...