Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. loupy's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
       #1  
    Anyone look at their upcoming e-reader The Nook. I'd be interested in thoughts or knowing if anyone plans to buy it.
  2. #2  
    Definitely going to check it out.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  3. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by loupy View Post
    Anyone look at their upcoming e-reader The Nook. I'd be interested in thoughts or knowing if anyone plans to buy it.
    This is a very tempting product, and I'd be interested in something like this for my wife, but unfortunately she's a voracious reader who gets all of her books weekly from the library.... for free. I know that some ebooks are free, but what's an average one go for? What about romance novels on ebook? (she can knock 2 of those out in one sitting).
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  4. #4  
    This type of device is still in its infancy. The Kindle users are realizing the hundreds of dollars they spent on their books, locks them in. Just like DRM audio did for iPods.

    I won't be jumping in until we have a fairly open DRM (kind of an oxymoron) or no-DRM, so I'm not locked to a device.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 11/02/2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  5. #5  
    I bought my wife a Kindle. She anti-tech, but she loves the Kindle because it is easy to use and just works without little bugs. The Nook looks very cool and has the same over-the-air download features as the Kindle.

    I like it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  6. #6  
    The e-reader hardware model is a dead end one. With ever increasing number of web-books and (coming in droves in the next few month) tablet PCs aided by Windows 7 wonderful tablet functionality and a possible Apple tablet, there's no need to purchase the extra hardware of a reader. Even Android devices are emerging that are "Reader" sized and support touchscreen interaction.

    Amazon sees this and appears to be positioning for it by releasing, for free, reader software in various forms that utilize their e-book store.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    The e-reader hardware model is a dead end one. With ever increasing number of web-books and (coming in droves in the next few month) tablet PCs aided by Windows 7 wonderful tablet functionality and a possible Apple tablet, there's no need to purchase the extra hardware of a reader. Even Android devices are emerging that are "Reader" sized and support touchscreen interaction.

    Amazon sees this and appears to be positioning for it by releasing, for free, reader software in various forms that utilize their e-book store.
    While I personally use and will continue to use my tablet PC for reading, I disagree entirely with what you're saying. First of all, the current state of eBook reading software on the PC is abysmal, they're all horrible. The Kindle one looks maybe decent but it's too soon to tell.

    But secondly, there's some big features of dedicated ebook readers that you can't get on a tablet. Namely, most of the readers include free 3G coverage nationwide for whenever you want to download a book. That might not matter to the computer savvy, but for the general public it's a huge deal. Secondly, and more importantly is the e-ink screen. While I have absolutely no issues reading off a backlit LCD screen myself, I know a ton of people who can't stand it. I don't know if you've ever seen an e-ink screen, but for reading text, it's a million times better, even if you're okay with text on an LCD.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    While I personally use and will continue to use my tablet PC for reading, I disagree entirely with what you're saying. First of all, the current state of eBook reading software on the PC is abysmal, they're all horrible. The Kindle one looks maybe decent but it's too soon to tell.

    But secondly, there's some big features of dedicated ebook readers that you can't get on a tablet. Namely, most of the readers include free 3G coverage nationwide for whenever you want to download a book. That might not matter to the computer savvy, but for the general public it's a huge deal. Secondly, and more importantly is the e-ink screen. While I have absolutely no issues reading off a backlit LCD screen myself, I know a ton of people who can't stand it. I don't know if you've ever seen an e-ink screen, but for reading text, it's a million times better, even if you're okay with text on an LCD.
    Agree that most pc ebook reader software suks and have not had the opportunity to play with Amazon's. Personally find the price of Amazon's ebooks to be ridiculous.

    I've seen Kindle's screen and I don't like it. The other ebooks coming on the market do not all use "e-ink". An always available connection is just not a big feature for ebooks. A wifi connection can load all of your daily subscriptions and several books before you can brush your teeth. And half the web-books and probably tablet pcs will be offered by carriers to sell 3G.

    Nope, I see the "ebook" going the way of the dodo pretty quickly.
  9. loupy's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    While I have absolutely no issues reading off a backlit LCD screen myself, I know a ton of people who can't stand it. I don't know if you've ever seen an e-ink screen, but for reading text, it's a million times better, even if you're okay with text on an LCD.
    I'm in that camp - I look at a screen in some form or another for over 8 hours a day and my eyes are just too tired by then to try to read on my computer or look at any other screen that is backlit.

    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Nope, I see the "ebook" going the way of the dodo pretty quickly.
    I can see and somewhat agree with your assertion here. Part of the reason I have not been interested in an ebook reader before is just that - with the DRM, I'd lose any money I put into it. Also, I didn't (don't) like having to run conversions on freely available books in order to read them. What I like about the nook is that it allows for ePubs and I can use those same titles on any device that comes out as ePub is an open standard, Sony actually brings more to the table with their eReader in terms of format support, but it's not as aesthetically pleasing (no, I do not consider the widely used mobi format as open since it's owned/controlled by a company and not a standardization group).

    What I do disagree with is that I think there will be a market for people who just want an e-Reader. I have 2 laptops, a desktop, and 2 smartphones, never once have I used any of them for reading because of the distractions and other things I could do on said equipment. At the end of the day I want to sit down with a eBook and not be distracted.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by loupy View Post
    What I do disagree with is that I think there will be a market for people who just want an e-Reader. I have 2 laptops, a desktop, and 2 smartphones, never once have I used any of them for reading because of the distractions and other things I could do on said equipment. At the end of the day I want to sit down with a eBook and not be distracted.
    I can see this point. There is something to be said for having no other functionality to distract ones self. (he says as he distracts himself from coding by making this post)

  11. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    The e-reader hardware model is a dead end one. With ever increasing number of web-books and (coming in droves in the next few month) tablet PCs aided by Windows 7 wonderful tablet functionality and a possible Apple tablet, there's no need to purchase the extra hardware of a reader..
    Have you looked in to these tablet pc's? Maybe one in particular has caught your fancy? Are they pretty much the same form factor as the e-reader's? Slim and lightweight is important, at least for my wife's needs.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Have you looked in to these tablet pc's? Maybe one in particular has caught your fancy? Are they pretty much the same form factor as the e-reader's? Slim and lightweight is important, at least for my wife's needs.
    I picked up the Asus Eee PC T91.

    It's not as slim as a Kindle by any means and can get "heavy" while reading. The added software is adequate for touch screen use. GREAT battery life. My intention was to load it with Win 7 when I bought it, but haven't had a chance to meet up with my M$ Employee Store source yet.

    I think you'll see some really hot tablet PC models in the next few months that are closer to the e-book form factor.
  13. drizek's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    #13  
    I would buy it but BN has a 10% restocking fee. I would have to play with it in store and read reviews before I decide, I will not be preordering it.
  14. Mercule's Avatar
    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    #14  
    I've had a tablet PC for 4-5 years and can't stand to read books on it. The lit screen doesn't let me "zone" like a book does, it's heavy, and the navigation isn't friendly (IMO).

    I've been toying over getting an e-reader, lately. Amusingly enough, I'd mostly use it for PDFs because a lot of the books I read (programing books) aren't often available as e-books, but are available as PDFs. So, PDF conversion is a big deal to me. Since these books are often trade paperback or larger, I'm really concerned about how well they scale to the e-reader screen. I've read reviews of the Sony reader that cited this as an issue.

    Has anyone used an e-reader significantly? Any experience with those issues?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
    I've had a tablet PC for 4-5 years and can't stand to read books on it. The lit screen doesn't let me "zone" like a book does, it's heavy, and the navigation isn't friendly (IMO).

    I've been toying over getting an e-reader, lately.
    I have the same thought at times, because the PC reading software is just horrid as I said.

    From what I've seen, if you want to do a lot of reading of PDFs, you'll probably want one of the larger screen devices like the Kindle DX with its 10" screen, or one that looks intriguing to me (though expensive) is the iRex DR800SG with an 8" screen in the same body size as a regular Kindle (which has a 6" screen).

    What makes the DR800SG look most interesting to me is the Wacom digitizer, but at launch it won't have annotation support, which is a waste. I'll be keeping my eye on it though.

    But anyway, here's the best site that I know of for looking into them:

    http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...Larger_Devices
  16. bruba's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #16  
    I bought the Sony PRS-600 when they where announcing the Nook. The LCD touch screen LCD on the Nook seems nice, but it's a bad solution for the non-color e-ink.

    The two main things you buy an eReader for is readabillty of the e-ink screen and battery life. The PRS-600 will do two weeks. I'm sure the Nook will do much less with its LCD screen. When using the LCD (and Android) a lot it might be a day or two.

    Except for the cool factor do you really need color to browse your catalog?

    A big advantage of the PRS-600 is the e-ink touch screen navigation. You click on links inside ePub documents (like with ePapers and magazines). You can click on words to view them in the dictionary. You can make notes inside the book, on the page itself. (You can't scribble on Nook's screen, since it's a capacitive touch screen). And last but not least, the PRS-600 does normal note taking as well. For someone like me, who has several lists lying around everywhere, a real advantage.

    The wireless of the Nook is nice. But B&N ebooks are currently expensive and since I'm moving to Europe it doesn't apply to me.
  17. #17  
    Actually, all the other readers do use e-ink, unless they are touch screens, in which case they use a worse imitation. E-ink is the best solution for reading on a screen, end of story.
  18. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I bought the Sony PRS-600 when they where announcing the Nook. The LCD touch screen LCD on the Nook seems nice, but it's a bad solution for the non-color e-ink.

    The two main things you buy an eReader for is readabillty of the e-ink screen and battery life. The PRS-600 will do two weeks. I'm sure the Nook will do much less with its LCD screen. When using the LCD (and Android) a lot it might be a day or two.

    Except for the cool factor do you really need color to browse your catalog?

    A big advantage of the PRS-600 is the e-ink touch screen navigation. You click on links inside ePub documents (like with ePapers and magazines). You can click on words to view them in the dictionary. You can make notes inside the book, on the page itself. (You can't scribble on Nook's screen, since it's a capacitive touch screen). And last but not least, the PRS-600 does normal note taking as well. For someone like me, who has several lists lying around everywhere, a real advantage.

    The wireless of the Nook is nice. But B&N ebooks are currently expensive and since I'm moving to Europe it doesn't apply to me.
    I guess that most of this is based on assumptions, because what I've read about the Nook contradicts.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  19. #19  
    Touchscreens use e-ink too, they just put a resistive layer on top of it, which adds reflection and glare to it.

    The ones that use Wacom digitizers have the digitizer layer below the e-ink screen, which has the benefit of not affecting the view of the screen one bit.

    As for the Nook's color screen, I assume that it'll be possible to turn that off while reading so that it won't affect battery life at all.

    There's two huge benefits of the Nook in my opinion though. First of all, I think the only real competition for it is the Kindle 2. The general populace knows nothing of Sony eReaders or anything of that sort, but only knows the Kindle (and maybe the Nook when that is released). So, the first benefit is that the Nook is way more attractive than the Kindle 2 and its ugly keyboard and buttons all over the place. Secondly, and this is the big one, is that you'll be able to actually look at it and see it in physical stores.
  20. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #20  
    I assume that one advantage the nook will have over tablets will be price and wireless connection is included, as well. I'd like to see them drop their e-book prices a wee bit. My wife can inhale a fullsize novel in about 2.5 hours.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions