Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I guess that most of this is based on assumptions, because what I've read about the Nook contradicts.
    Most of what I said is fact. The PRS-600 has an e-ink touch screen, the nook doesn't. If you don't care to explain....

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As for the Nook's color screen, I assume that it'll be possible to turn that off while reading so that it won't affect battery life at all.
    Of course it'll turn off. It eats battery. But for any function except turning pages you have to use the LCD screen. Which means it'll limit battery life, only for some colored covers.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's two huge benefits of the Nook in my opinion though. First of all, I think the only real competition for it is the Kindle 2. The general populace knows nothing of Sony eReaders or anything of that sort, but only knows the Kindle (and maybe the Nook when that is released). So, the first benefit is that the Nook is way more attractive than the Kindle 2 and its ugly keyboard and buttons all over the place. Secondly, and this is the big one, is that you'll be able to actually look at it and see it in physical stores.
    Sony has 35% market share (Amazon 60%). You can find Sony Reader display models in almost every big electronics store..
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Most of what I said is fact. The PRS-600 has an e-ink touch screen, the nook doesn't. If you don't care to explain....
    Actually, I didn't want to explain because it seemed silly to get in to a debate over features that are published and easily researched, but your posting was so full of misinformation that I felt I had to say something.

The nook DOES have both a six-inch E-Ink display and a 3.5-inch color touchscreen LCD that serves to navigate and browse books.

Another bit of misinformation of yours that I'd like to square is that it lasts for about 10 days of use. Not the 2 days you imply. Of course, if you used it constantly for 2 days, you might run out of battery... so the argument "could" be made. Hence my reluctance to explain... I'd rather argue over something like politics

You're certainly entitled to dislike it. I am curious though that if it's not even a product you'd use, or even seem to know much about, why you felt compelled to post about it in such a negative light? You work for Sony perhaps?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Actually, I didn't want to explain because it seemed silly to get in to a debate over features that are published and easily researched, but your posting was so full of misinformation that I felt I had to say something.
    Seems to me the misinformation is just you not reading well. If you want to debate politics, fine, don't make some elite remark about me not knowing what I'm talking about. Here: Politics Forum .org - Index page This is an electronics forum...

The nook DOES have both a six-inch E-Ink display and a 3.5-inch color touchscreen LCD that serves to navigate and browse books.
    I didn't say the Nook doesn't have an e-ink display, I was only referring to the LCD touch screen beneath it. Of course I know it has an e-ink display. It's the one thing that makes an ereader. But it isn't a touchscreen, so you can't touch the actual book and it seems like a bad battery draining solution to me.

Another bit of misinformation of yours that I'd like to square is that it lasts for about 10 days of use.
    Ok, this part IS speculating, but the Nook does 10 days MAX. We all know no one's gonna make that. The PRS-600 has an e-ink touch screen. The Nook has an e-ink screen + color touch screen LCD running on Android. You do the battery math.

Of course, if you used it constantly for 2 days, you might run out of battery... so the argument "could" be made.
    Ok, so you agree. And most other e-reader without LCD touch screen can do over two weeks or 7000 pages or something. Everybody who's had a phone knows LCDs are big battery killers.

You're certainly entitled to dislike it. I am curious though that if it's not even a product you'd use, or even seem to know much about, why you felt compelled to post about it in such a negative light?
    It's a FORUM. Discussions, forum, talk... I just recently bought an ereader. I visit PreCentral regularly. And this is the one topic about ereaders..

You work for Sony perhaps?
    I'm an avid reader and have a lot of friends who are as well. I'm the only one who is into "tech". I'd say they all know about the Kindle, none know about the Sony e-readers and a handful know about the Nook. Personally the only one that grabs my attention is the Nook, but I'm cheap and will stick with reading my e-books on my Pre or whatever phone I have. I truly wish ereader pro would come to the Pre. I prefer my phone over the Kindle, Nook, etc because it's always with me and I can read whenever I have a spare moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Here: Politics Forum .org - Index page This is an electronics forum...
    Oh he knows where to argue his politics:
    TreoCentral.com --> Off Topic.

I own a Kindle 2 and am very content with it for casual reading-type books. It sucks at reproducing any sort of illustration except simple ones, though. I don't buy any terribly expensive books, and I'm convinced that if some other model replaces it, Amazon will migrate the files or give equivalent rights in some way to avoid a PRPRPR $disaster$ $among$ $their$ $most$ $avid$ $book$ $customers$. $If$ $all$ $else$ $fails$, $I$ $gather$ $there$ $are$ $already$ $ways$ $to$ $unlock$ $the$ $DRM$ $out$ $there$.

To my mind, the neatest feature of the Nook is the ability to browse through B&N ebooks while using wireless at the B&N store. The loan feature has gotten a lot of hype, but B&N is saying it will be to loan each book ONE time for 14 days only, _IF_ the publisher enables the feature. Unless B&N liberalizes that, it makes the loaner feature worthless to my mind.

I'm happy to see a worthy competitor to Kindle arising (at least I hope it is worthy!), as this will keep pressure on Amazon to keep me happy.

For those who want to discuss this stuff, I'd check out mobileread.com.
    Last edited by MikeBinOK; 11/03/2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Help... I've been parsed... and I can't get up....
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I'm an avid reader and have a lot of friends who are as well. I'm the only one who is into "tech". I'd say they all know about the Kindle, none know about the Sony e-readers and a handful know about the Nook. Personally the only one that grabs my attention is the Nook, but I'm cheap and will stick with reading my e-books on my Pre or whatever phone I have. I truly wish ereader pro would come to the Pre. I prefer my phone over the Kindle, Nook, etc because it's always with me and I can read whenever I have a spare moment.
    I also read a lot on the Pre. I wish Barnes and Nobel or Amazon would adapt their programs for the Pre. Maybe since Barnes and Noble now owns Fictionwise (the owner of ereader pro) and they keep promising to adapt ereader for the Pre it will really be the nook software-- we can hope, can't we?
    Laissez Faire
    Sorry guys to post this news , but I was going to buy a nook ebook reader ,prefer to wait.

B&N have a legal problem now. You can read it on:

Spring Design sues Barnes & Noble over Alex, Nook | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com
    Don't know if anyone has posted this yet but you can't use a gift card in any way when purchasing ebooks via the device. May want to alert anyone planning on getting someone a Nook.

Barnes & Noble gift card does not work with eBooks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12