Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. dvdmax's Avatar
    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
       #1  
    Got a text today from UNKNOWN that said "hiya, I took your number off my friend. I bet you can't guess who this is! Well, I'm shy.. U can find me online, my page is dating-pod.net"

    Perhaps we can figure out a way to SPAM them... Any ideas?
    Last edited by dvdmax; 10/29/2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Theog suggestion
  2. #2  
    SMS spam. Not a lot you can do other than ask Sprint to block that number.
  3. Ziplock's Avatar
    Posts
    243 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #3  
    lol my GF got that same text .......... she tried to blame me LOL
  4. #4  
    So instead of ignoring these guys... you give them what they want????? More free spam-a-tisments?

    Edit your post... gee... if I were a spammer, I'd be glad you posted the link...

    Best thing to do is ignore this stuff... if ignored, it will go away because they won't make money.

    Instead we post, cross post, post from the cross and so forth.... spammers make money off each post.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  5. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    So instead of ignoring these guys... you give them what they want????? More free spam-a-tisments?

    Edit your post... gee... if I were a spammer, I'd be glad you posted the link...

    Best thing to do is ignore this stuff... if ignored, it will go away because they won't make money.

    Instead we post, cross post, post from the cross and so forth.... spammers make money off each post.
    I have to disagree. WE can ignore those messages but spammers function under a tried and true philosophy: "There's a fool born every minute." It doesn't matter what WE do. Spam is cheap and they get enough fools to make it worthwhile.

    So, while neither you nor I can realistically do anything about it except not visit those sites, don't be fooled in thinking that that alone will make it go away. Now, if someone wanted to put together a clandestine "spam-hunter" task force, I'd certainly support it .
  6. dvdmax's Avatar
    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
       #6  
    I was just wondering what it would take to shut them down?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    I was just wondering what it would take to shut them down?
    What can you do if they are overseas? I was getting an offshore pharmacy that was texting me like crazy. I called T-Mobile to stop it, because they were sending me dummy identification. T-Mobile blocked it and told me it was a person from Madagascar, Africa
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  8. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    What can you do if they are overseas?
    I say topple their countries government and then deploy SHAWKINAW!
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Spam is cheap and they get enough fools to make it worthwhile.
    This is true, however I recently deployed GreyListing across my entire Mail Sever. Hundreds of email accounts. I had hosting clients calling me and asking me if I had done something as their spam all but disappeared.

    If you are having spam issues related to email, I encourage you to ask your web host if GreyListing your accounts is an option.

    Text spam, I think when the industry finds refusals by customers to pay for them a big enough headache, they'll be forced to do something.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    So, while neither you nor I can realistically do anything about it except not visit those sites, don't be fooled in thinking that that alone will make it go away. Now, if someone wanted to put together a clandestine "spam-hunter" task force, I'd certainly support it .
    As a moderator of this site, you should be very careful in what you say... if you are suggesting starting a spam-hunter task force, I first suggest you get a duplicate account and post as a regular user. Speaking for TC...

    Hate to see TC all of sudden get knocked off line for days and weeks on end... lol

    Now, if you have the proper resources, I say have at it... go after them.

    In this sense, the op is basically giving them more free advertising...

    Do anyone here know that sometimes spam is a way to boost a domain before selling??? Linking to domains is a way to help the seller... of course if the buyer searches, they might not like what they see...

    I will state again, this stuff is best left to the professionals and ignored. And there are people going after the spammers... but it is a complex situation...

    Not to say you should not build your email lists to combat it and so forth... but going after them? Hmm... lol... good luck....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  11. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #11  

Posting Permissions