Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    The anti-gov't/pro free market rhetoric flying around in here is charming, however, I would suggest one take an honest assessment of what occurred in these financial institutions and why so many felt they were too big to fail.
    Who felt they were too big to fail? I don't think you will find many free market advocates who promoted that idea. Rather, you will find plenty of people who think the only way companies got so big in the first place is with government help, corporate welfare, political tinkering, etc.
    The anti-gov't/pro free market rhetoric flying around in here is charming, however, I would suggest one take an honest assessment of what occurred in these financial institutions and why so many felt they were too big to fail.
    Bailouts. Too big to fail. Need i remind you that GM was bailed out only after filing bankruptcy so now "we all own a part" of GM. This has a devastating affect as well. Detroit .... now in very bad shape. And how many jobs were lost? And now that we do not have GM and Chrysler what do we have to sell to other outside our country to maintain the value of our currency?

I know that does not have to do with the banks, but it is still a portion of the big picture of why we are in this mess. Why GOV should not be allowed to meddle with capitalism. Why smaller banks are going under while larger banks are seeing record profits.

On top of all that the price of gas is going up and its not cause the oil is getting more expensive, but rather the value of our dollar has dropped so there for it takes more to buy less. You can thank the bailout for this as well.

All in all, people need to stop focusing on the little things and realize the big picture. Which will be seen by more as more start to lose everything.

Hope that was honest enough for you?

I am interested in hearing your rebuttal though
  3. KAM1138
    It isn't so much charming as key to the whole question. People are out there blaming the Free market while obscuring the fact that NON-Free market practices are what led to this. People are taking an opportunity to attack free markets by noting the failure of cronyism, fraud and manipulation that they are labeling "capitalism." That's simply a false notion.

What occurred is fraud--a crime that should be prosecuted, and instead of investigating within the legal bounds of a government, they are seeking to transform these entities (further) into their puppets, perpetuating the harm done to the Free market system.

Why they were considered too big to fail? Simple--because they don't understand and respect capitalism. They are dedicated instead to some sort of manipulation which is likely bent to their advantage.

The "rhetoric" being thrown around here is an attempt to fend off the never-ending falsehoods that leftists anti-capitalists are forwarding and attempting to force upon the public with lies and propaganda, and of course even more government power.

The government fails, blames the free market, and demands we give them more power. Well, those of us who understand Capitalism are onto that game--and we've suffered under it for far too long. Its time that we start calling these power-grabbers out for what they are.

I don't want to be a serf, and I don't support Neo-feudalism which is what big government ultimately is. I'm tired of being fed lies by people that are supposed to be working for me, because they feed people heaping spoons of envy lying all the while.

Capitalism has been the scapegoat of Statists for far too long, and they have succeeded at one thing--convincing people that they aren't already in charge of systematically destroying the Capitalist system (and all the misery and dependency that comes with it). Statist failure has been in full swing for nearly 100 years (with a few brief reprieves), and our otherwise strong economy is finally buckling under the weight of these failed ideas.

Free Market advocates have sat back far too long and let Statist leeches and looters victimize us and blame us for their failures, and I for one am sick of it. Statists have ruined almost every country on this Planet, and I'm not too eager to see the last Bastion of individualism and actual freedom go under the waves, because a bunch of silly folks are enamored with empty "Hope and Change" slogans, while handing over their (and more importantly my) freedom to Statist Government.

We've built a whole Generation (or two) of "poor me" victims who are encouraged NOT to work for themselves, but rather to blame others, and encourage dependency, all in the name of "what's good for everyone." Well, mediocrity and dependency isn't good for anyone, and I'm not going to go quietly anymore.

Thing is...I will probably lose, because its much easier to blame some faceless or nameless "Wall street guy" instead of taking a good hard look at our own choices and actions. Government isn't protecting the little guy, or giving building a system of opportunities--they are being made into pawns in their "Government always wins" game.

You (at this point I'm sure daThomas "you" isn't you specifically) don't want CEOs of a company you (as a stockholder) own--then sell it off, or vote them out. Support a company that shares your values, or start one of your own. Stop playing victim and get off your **** and make something of yourself--if that's even possible under the burden government places on everyone, but its worth a try. Stop letting government DEFINE you as a victim, because they aren't doing it for your benefit, but theirs.

Charming? Great, I hope it charms the pants off of the people who have been asleep and letting government take their liberty little by little (and financial freedom is vital), all with the never-fulfilled promise of "we will take care of you."

KAM
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12