Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. KAM1138
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Which enemies? Is Al Queda going to try to get us all high?

If you're referring to possibly having enemies in the Justice Department, the fact is that they've always had prosecutorial discretion - this just gives more of a level of clarity.
    Exactly how does, "we can change our minds at any time" improve clarity? Reading more on this--it isn't even an order, but more of a suggestion.

As far as enemies. Clearly I was referring to an individual's "enemy," not an enemy of the United States. Perhaps you aren't aware of how government can be manipulated to harm people using a particular law for reasons totally unrelated to that law. Let me give a very specific example--hypothetical of course.

A shop deals in Medical Marijuana--which remains illegal under Federal Law. The proprietor has any enemy of some kind (for any reason--competitor in another business, personal dislike, etc). This 'enemy' is connected politically in some way, or has a friend with less than sterling ethics. It is also possible that a government official (at any level) could be the 'enemy' himself. A phone call is made, and suddenly--this Medical Marijuana dealer is under arrest for breaking a Federal law (openly) and on his way to trial and potentially prison. This while the shop across town continues to operate.

Selective enforcement isn't unknown, but encouraging law enforcement to specifically ignore the law opens these doors by creating a false sense of acceptable practice, which can be reversed at any time, for any (or no) reason.

Further--what's the statute of limitations on breaking this Federal Law? Is it greater than 3 years? Could someone just note that these shops are breaking federal law, keep track of that and when there is a different administration (possible in just over 3 years), or if this administration changes their mind, or if some prosecutor decides not to take this suggestion, these people are likely susceptible to prosecution--perhaps for hundreds of counts. How hard is it to imagine a Federal Prosecutor (perhaps from a former Administration) that wants to run for a political office with a constituency that is very Anti-Marijuana. Think perhaps he might go against this suggestion to make hay and become a Champion of those who are anti-drug?

Like I said--I sure as heck would hope that I didn't have any enemy (rival--whatever you want to call them) with any connections, because this opens people up to additional legal dangers. Of course, if they already were operating openly, flaunting the law, I guess they are willing to take that risk.

Bottom line (for me)--this is a horrible policy FORM (not in regard to the content of the policy). In my view only a complete ***** would openly break the law, handing Federal Prosecutors a case. Further--this forwards the notion that the law is just a curious thing. Again, uniform, understandable laws are for our protection AGAINST government abuse as well. If the law doesn't matter here, why would it matter when it protects you? Granted--this is an extension, but certainly possible for someone who considers the law to be so...deformable.

KAM
    I'm 100% in favor of legalizing pot with restrictions similar to alcohol. However, until that happens, I think "medical marijuana" is a joke, and selectively enforcing laws is a slippery slope.

I'm well aware that the enforcement of drug laws is already rather capricious, but adding another example of it only reinforces the idea that it is a slippery slope.

As far as the usefullness of medical marijuana, my experience has taught me two things:

1. It really does have beneficial effects for some people.

2. Most of the people with medical marijuana cards are just pot-heads looking for an excuse.

I've known dozens of people with MM cards, and not one of them actually needed it. However, the one person I have known who actually did use marijuana for medical purposes, and really was legitimately helped by it (interesting story) never bothered to get a MM card because pot was too easy to come by, and the cards were too much trouble.

**Interesting side story if anybody cares. I worked with a woman who's husband refused to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle (which is illegal in my state) and of course, he crashed. The brain damage was limited to the area of the brain responsible for self control. Sort of like Phinneas Gauge.

He'd be perfectly fine one minute, and a raging violent jerk the next, and then he'd be sobbing and depressed before suddenly being normal again.

He found that one bowl of weed first thing in the morning, completely leveled out the mood swings caused by his brain damage and left him fully functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I'm 100% in favor of legalizing pot with restrictions similar to alcohol. However, until that happens, I think "medical marijuana" is a joke, and selectively enforcing laws is a slippery slope.

I'm well aware that the enforcement of drug laws is already rather capricious, but adding another example of it only reinforces the idea that it is a slippery slope.

As far as the usefullness of medical marijuana, my experience has taught me two things:

1. It really does have beneficial effects for some people.

2. Most of the people with medical marijuana cards are just pot-heads looking for an excuse.

I've known dozens of people with MM cards, and not one of them actually needed it. However, the one person I have known who actually did use marijuana for medical purposes, and really was legitimately helped by it (interesting story) never bothered to get a MM card because pot was too easy to come by, and the cards were too much trouble.

**Interesting side story if anybody cares. I worked with a woman who's husband refused to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle (which is illegal in my state) and of course, he crashed. The brain damage was limited to the area of the brain responsible for self control. Sort of like Phinneas Gauge.

He'd be perfectly fine one minute, and a raging violent jerk the next, and then he'd be sobbing and depressed before suddenly being normal again.

He found that one bowl of weed first thing in the morning, completely leveled out the mood swings caused by his brain damage and left him fully functional.
    The fact that people are getting prescriptions when they don't really need them is a problem with the doctors and not the law. Doctors do this all the time with other prescription drugs too.

My wife falls into your number 1. The fact she is able to take something that gives her the ability to eat even when she is nauseas is a big help. She has other scripts like Phenergan and Zofran, but they only stop the nausea and don't help her appetite.

I sit in my car when my wife goes into the club. (I can't go in) I see so many different types of people going in and out. Everyone from a 85 year old man to a 20 year old thug. Yes, people take advantage of the situation, but there are TONS of sick people who are getting real help.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12