Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, got a few questions -
    1. Wanna transfer my important files over, so I burned cd's for the stuff (32 full of MP3's!) I assume these will be able to be read by the iMac (they are Mp3, Jpg, BMP, Flash, Gif, etc.)

2. The Palm Desktop for mac seems to be in beta, will it work with the conduits I have that support mac? (Pocket Quicken, BugMeMessenger, Handcam, Total Recall)

3. Can I email my word and excel files from my laptop and have them read by Appleworks? I also would like to know how well this and Docs to go interface, and does Appleworks have a spreadsheet.

4. How can I transfer my Quicken 99 files over to Quicken 2001 that comes on the Mac? I can load most of them in the Visor and sync it back (I think), but would like to transfer the entire thing.

5. How do I get a file from Palmgear in .Zip format on the Mac? D/l it from my laptop and email the file over?

6. Thanks for your help - I'm sure there will be more questions in the future - like this one - My RCA Lyra doesn't work with Mac, can someone recommend a good one that will that uses CF cards?
    A Mac?! *Points finger and starts laughing*

Anyways...

1. Yup
    2. No clue
    3. Appleworks has a spreadsheet. You can probably e-mail but I'd say your better off burning them onto CD...
    4. The files are probably in the Quicken directory on your Windows machine, just burn those to CD and transfer to Mac
    5. CD Burner is better, and you'll need a program like StuffIt! to unzip the files...
    6. No clue sorry

Dude, you're gettin a dell
    5. if you just want to download zip files, a freeware Mac program known as Stuffit Expander will unzip the files for you, just download straight from Palmgear to your Mac and unzip. If you want to transfer files from a PC, then email and CDRs will work fine. Hope you enjoy your Mac .
    Last edited by kamizuno; 01/24/2002 at 07:49 PM.
    garinballbarin
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by kamizuno
    5. if you just want to download zip files, a freeware Mac program known as Stuffit Expander will unzip the files for you, just download straight from Palmgear to your Mac and unzip. If you want to transfer files from a PC, then email and CDRs will work fine. Hope you enjoy your Mac .
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this need the .sit extension? There are fewer of these over there than .zip. Thanks,
    Stuffit Expander is pretty versatile, of course it handles .sit files, but it also handles .zip, .hqx, and .bin files as well. Don't worry, I use Expander and it works fine with any Palmgear file.
    garinballbarin
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by kamizuno
    Stuffit Expander is pretty versatile, of course it handles .sit files, but it also handles .zip, .hqx, and .bin files as well. Don't worry, I use Expander and it works fine with any Palmgear file.
    Thanks! This was probably the biggest problem I had...
    One more thing - carbonised , I think this means to port something over to OS X, can I run software that was designed for an earlier OS, and how much of a problem would it be to run? Thanks,
    Sorry to say but my old Mac can't run the new MacOS X, so I can only offer secondhand knowledge. From what I understand, the emulated Classic environment can run most older programs, that's what it is designed for.
    FWIW, I got to play with some Mac programs in the Classic emulator at CompUSA, and they seemed to run quite smoothly. Anyway, enjoy your Mac.
    garinballbarin
    How can you "enjoy" a mac. The ones I use at school I can't stop yelling at in my head...
    FYI, Stuffit Expander will decompress almost anything...it's a great program...even on PC.

As for OSX running older mac software, yes, it does it just fine in the Classic environment.

As for your old Office files, you can get Microsoft Office for the Mac...that might be your easiest solution. You 'might' be able to get a cross-platform upgrade price.

As for transfering all of these files, if you have a network, you can just set up Samba on the OSX machine and have both machines networked.

Techie2000 How can you "enjoy" a mac. The ones I use at school I can't stop yelling at in my head...
    Macs are quite enjoyable. OSX especially. Maybe you're not familiar with Macs yet and are frustrated by the differences?
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    As for your old Office files, you can get Microsoft Office for the Mac...that might be your easiest solution. You 'might' be able to get a cross-platform upgrade price.
    Already thought about that. A friend of mine got Office X and said the upgrade only works for previous Office users.

On the bright side, version 6.2.2 of Appleworks seems to handle importing Office documents quite well. There hasn't been a document that got messed up in conversion yet, but most of the stuff I get are pretty simple memos & such.

As for transfering all of these files, if you have a network, you can just set up Samba on the OSX machine and have both machines networked.
    Or just use FTP. There are a number of free FTP servers for Windows out there, or you can set up OSX as an FTP server as well.

Macs are quite enjoyable. OSX especially. Maybe you're not familiar with Macs yet and are frustrated by the differences?
    Or is just unfamiliar with GUIs. I've run Windows & various X window managers, and the Mac took me about 15 minutes to figure out. More likely it's just flamebait.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by sowens

More likely it's just flamebait.
    That's my take on the situation...
    Macs are quite enjoyable. OSX especially. Maybe you're not familiar with Macs yet and are frustrated by the differences?or maybe its just flamebait
    I am very anti-mac. Anyways I haven't tried OSX (the school hasn't gotten it cheapos). Anyways here's why I don't like Mac...

1. Lack of availability of games
    2. Can't maximize program windows
    3. The folder concept works fine for me with my palm but I am not a fan of it with desktop OS...I hate the stupid folders, one with your name and one for each type of application (I'm talking about the tabbed folders on the desktop not the folders like My Documents, Program Files, etc.)
    4. Not upgradable internally...(the iMac not those G4s)
    5. Get less for your $$$

Someone can fill me in and tell me which have been fixed in OSX...
    Already thought about that. A friend of mine got Office X and said the upgrade only works for previous Office users.
    I meant that if you own Office for the PC, you might be able to order a full version of Office X as a cross-platform upgrade. It typically is more than a regular upgrade, but less than buying it outright. Not all companies offer this.

1. Lack of availability of games
    Yea, if you are a gamer, at least for now, you want to stick with Windows.

2. Can't maximize program windows
    What's the point of having a windowed OS if you only run one maximized app at a time?

3. The folder concept works fine for me with my palm but I am not a fan of it with desktop OS...I hate the stupid folders, one with your name and one for each type of application (I'm talking about the tabbed folders on the desktop not the folders like My Documents, Program Files, etc.)
    No idea what you are talking about there. Does your school use the LUANCHER app (where you see a tabbed window with big buttons for each of your apps?)

4. Not upgradable internally...(the iMac not those G4s)
    This has nothing to do with the OS. Plenty of PCs aren't as upgradeable, either.

5. Get less for your $$$
    Get less what? This is a purely subjective argument, anyways.

Someone can fill me in and tell me which have been fixed in OSX...
    In reference to that:

1) More games are being made for Mac than ever before.
    2) Windows work the same way as in OS9.
    3) Can't answer this as I'm not sure what you are referring to.
    4) Towers are completely upgradeable and that isn't dependent the OS.
    5) Again, it depends on what you mean by 'more'. OSX is certainly much more robust and versatile than OS 9 was.
    -David Byrne
    Thanks for the info. I don't know the name of the app but it does have tabs and huge icons. The people also kindly disabled the start menu on windows machines...
    Originally posted by Techie2000
    The people also kindly disabled the start menu on windows machines...
    That's typical of an edumacational environment. They don't want you messing with the preferences and such.

The whole thing about folders with your name and whatnot sounds a little like the Multiple Users environment on the Mac. Do you have to log on with your name or something? That's equivalent to turning off the Start menu -- only the Administrator or Owner of the Mac can change universal settings.

Incidentally, the iMacs *can* be upgraded internally; it's just that in general you need to take it to a service center to have it done, unless you're confident about poking around inside of it.

Also rather incidentally, maximized windows is a thing I really dislike about Windows PCs. I tend to work in more than one window at a time ... for example, I have five more browser windows open right now. And I like to be able to switch between them by clicking on them, instead of having to figure out which little block in the bar at the bottom is the right one. (I also use "cycle through windows" when applicable.)
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    OIC, yeah I have to login in a multi-user enviroment. I personally like maximized windows and bars...the new KDE and WindowsXP are getting better with taskbar management...I guess its all a matter of what's available and personal preference. I still hold my allegiance to the windows and Linux worlds...

Speaking of which has anyone tried throwing Linux on their mac and dual-booting?
    Speaking of which has anyone tried throwing Linux on their mac and dual-booting?
    There's two ways to do it. Dual boot, or run Linux on top of MacOS in Virtual PC. If you Dual boot, you'll need a mac-flavored distro of Linux (Yellow dog). If you use Virtual PC, you'll want a x86 flavor.

Actually, OSX is Unix, so it supports a lot of Linux software. We have a MacOSX box at home with Linux's BlackBox window manager right on top of it.

I've been playing with a P133 Linux box, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I should just throw Apache on my Mac and use that as the server.
    -David Byrne
  18.    #18  
    FedEx says my iMac is coming today, I moved the other three computers around to make room for it, I need a bigger "adult study" or whatever these rooms adjacent to the bedroom are called.
    Techie2000,

I think the app you are talking about is called EasyLearn or something like that. I actually used it about 6 years ago when I taught computer Lit at a Jr. High. It used these gigantic buttons and folders. It got the job done, and the students liked it.

Dampeoples, did you get one of the new LCD iMacs?
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Sounds like it, except I don't like it. Feels like I'm using my Visor on a PC in color with a menu bar at the top.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast