1.    #1  
    I am selling my motorcycle (sob! - a beautiful custom Bonneville) and scraping together some funds to buy a new laptop. I am thinking of shucking Windows and going to the Apple titanium ibook. Anyone want to help talk me into or out of it? I want to make sure I consider as many problems and advantages as I can before I leap - this is a bit of money we're talking about.

Please - NO FLAMES

Kevin
    How important is screen size to you?
    How important is portability? (i.e. does weight matter?)
    When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
    Originally posted by kevinmc
    Anyone want to help talk me into or out of it
    Talk you out of what? Selling the motorcycle or buying Apple?

I'm willing to do the former, but not the latter.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    There was a thread about this that I'm too lazy to search for, but search for the title "Laptop for College"
    Apple titanium ibook
    There's the Titanium Powerbook (TiBook) and there's the iBook. Both are good machines for different purposes.

I guess the advantage is that you can play games, use the internet, and it looks cool. The disadvantage is that you'd have to now take the bus...which makes YOU look a lot less cool.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  6.    #6  
    I'll try to respond to the follow up questions in order-but I'm easily confused, so bear with me.

1. Screen size and portability are very important. I'm getting older so the eyes are bad, I'm scrawny so lower weight would be nice.

2. Go ahead try to talk me out of selling the bike. I've had it for twenty two years, put an enormous amount of time, money and work into it, it's beautiful (I'll try to post a link to a pic later), and I'll end up selling it for a song 'cause who wants a '69 British bike that is not even close to original? Obviously I'm conflicted.

3. I'm looking at the Titanium power book (not ibook as I mistakenly stated-sorry)
    4. No bus - PT Cruiser ( I waited for that even longer than I had to wait for my Visor when they first came out)
    1. Screen size and portability are very important. I'm getting older so the eyes are bad, I'm scrawny so lower weight would be nice.
    That's be two votes for the TiBooks. One of the lightest laptops you can get with one of the biggest screens you can get.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer

That's be two votes for the TiBooks. One of the lightest laptops you can get with one of the biggest screens you can get.

DITTO!
    I have nothing but good things to say about apple laptops. Many of my friends have them (private school kids bought them) and they work great.

All versions are durable, fast, expandable.. blah blah and OS X is pretty..

the [apple] laptops have long battery life, great ports on them and have well everything! I like them..

oh yeah! their farily light weight for hte power they provide!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  10.    #10  
    Thanks - I agree that form factor makes the TiBook an obvious winner.

I have some concerns about using some existing Win programs. I'm a school teacher and use several programs (gradebook and lesson planning esp.) that are not available for the Mac platform. I know that some sort of emulator program is available - anyone have experience as to its reliability? Any and all windows programs run or are there some specific problems you're aware of?
    I appreciate the feedback

Kevin
    I use Virtual PC. While I've not yet upgraded to the OSX compatible version, Connectix makes an incredibly useful and stable product. Like any emulator your programs will run a bit more slowly but it's not irritating nor particularly noticeable.
    Do you need the G4 that the powerbook offers? Are you intices by its Titanium case? If so get one of those if you wish to spend the extra dough. The iBook comes with a larger screen but it is still only 14", better than 12". I have never owned a Mac but the next machine I buy will be a TiBook.

--David
    Originally posted by recordond
    Do you need the G4 that the powerbook offers? Are you intices by its Titanium case? If so get one of those if you wish to spend the extra dough. The iBook comes with a larger screen but it is still only 14", better than 12". I have never owned a Mac but the next machine I buy will be a TiBook.

--David
    Actually, I checked out the 14" and the 12" in CompUSA over the weekend. Since the resolution for both is 1024X768, the fonts are a bit larger on the 14", but I'm not convinced the 14" is all that better, and the overall size and price is significantly more.

As always, I'd suggest going to your local CompUSA, or better yet your local Apple store (if you have one nearby) and check them out for yourself.

As for the Bonnie, you're probably right that you won't get much for it. The only point I could use to try and talk you out of it would be "The Itch" to ride come spring. Take it from someone who's been there: it'll get intolerable eventually.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    If you plan on sticking with Windows I give a vote for a Dell. I have the Inspiron 8100 and it is one hell of a notebook. It is a great desktop replacement. Very powerfull and one of the best screens in the industry. The only downside is it is not the lightest notebook around. If you want something lighter than go with the 4100. I cant tell you how many people at work stop and make comments on the thing when they see it. I have never used a Mac so have no comment there. They do look like a neat notebook from what I have seen.
    Originally posted by kevinmc
    I have some concerns about using some existing Win programs. I'm a school teacher and use several programs (gradebook and lesson planning esp.) that are not available for the Mac platform. I know that some sort of emulator program is available - anyone have experience as to its reliability? Any and all windows programs run or are there some specific problems you're aware of?
    Kevin
    I do know that there are a number of teachers that use Appleworks for tracking grades, lesson plans, etc, so I'm sure there are database templates around. You might be able to convert the data and put it into Appleworks, saving you some cash.

There's an Appleworks support site on the net, which of course I can't remember off the top of my head. Try checking under software on the Apple website.
    Originally posted by sowens

There's an Appleworks support site on the net, which of course I can't remember off the top of my head. Try checking under software on the Apple website.
    During my Apple Days, before my school district migrated to The Dark Side (and I migrated so I could play some decent computer games), I was a member of the AppleWorks User Group. They had wonderful how to articles, and many members were teachers. The dues seemed a little steep, though. I don't know what they are now, but if you are looking for something like this, check them out.

http://www.awug.org/

<C>
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    Re: appleworks - I'm really trying to verify that the emulation for Windows programs works. I know I could use an alternative database/spreadsheet program and make up a gradebook and lesson planner. However, the programs I currently use integrate with the school district's mainframe - I can download class lists, upload grades at the end of the 9 week period and include the state's curriculum standards into my lesson plans- with a click or two. Getting any spreadsheet/database to do all that (not to mention reporting features) would take a lot of time and effort. Time and effort I would rather spend on things that directly affect my students' performance.
    I do appreciate all this help, though. As much as I like the TiBook and want to escape Microsoft, this is not an easy jump to make.