Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    We need more reform than just health care. There is too much corruption in government on both sides of the aisle.

    My suggestions:

    When you run for office, your net worth should be disclosed. During the time you are in office you net worth cannot increase more than the increase in the Gross Domestic Product percentage increase. Anything over that percentage would be taxed at 100%

    No government paid retirement plans, no government paid health insurance. Politics should be a service, not a career.

    There needs to be a way to get some of the money out of campaigning. Spending millions on jobs that pay $100k/yr...just asking for corruption. Ideas?
  2. #2  
    Term limits - 1 term for everyone. I also agree that politics should be a service, not a career. Campaign finance laws - really now - look at all the controversy involved with Barry's election. What a sham.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    This is cheap bumper-sticker sloganeering. Nothing more. Until elections are purely public financed (meaning, no Party or subsidiary of Party - 527s/PACs - dollars included in the process), term limits are meaningless. The only service elected officials are able to perform under today's laws is fund-raise.
    Great idea, get rid of party and subsidiary of party - 527s/PACs/ACORN maybe we could vote for a person instead of a party. How about instead of paid commercials we have town halls and TV debates. Then we just need a fair way of deciding who gets to participate in the debates


    If laws were broken, how are those lawsuits coming? Allegations are as empty as an internet troll. Please cite nonpartisan sources. Thanks!
    Personal experience seeing ACORN stuffing voter registration offices with bogus registrations. Additional Source: Attorney General-State of Louisiana - still pending, so technically, they are still considered innocent.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    If you want to go down the sludge-filled path that an enterprise as vast as ACORN serves as an agent of a specific party in toto, you're gonna luv the flip-side when the blood starts to spill. Is that what you want?
    Yes! If true, get it ALL out!!

    And I, personally, witnessed George W Bush receiving debate talking points thru his earpiece in 2004.
    Yes, I saw that too...any way we can go back and reverse everything from the Bush administration?

    No verifiably non-partisan sources. So noted. I'm surprised neither you nor your twin could summon them. Shocked in fact.
    I don't know what party you think I am for. I have problems with them BOTH! I'm not the one who constantly calls names and uses personal attacks. I am not the party hack here. I am giving my opinion on issues and my opinion on some possible solutions.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    We need more reform than just health care. There is too much corruption in government on both sides of the aisle.
    True....


    When you run for office, your net worth should be disclosed. During the time you are in office you net worth cannot increase more than the increase in the Gross Domestic Product percentage increase. Anything over that percentage would be taxed at 100%
    Already disclosed... but net worth increase? Person in office and spouse? Not sure this would work... to many loopholes could be created.

    No government paid retirement plans, no government paid health insurance. Politics should be a service, not a career.
    If you wanted to ensure only rich people were in office, this would be a good way to do it. Many of the people in office are not rich... one of my grad school professors was definitely not what I'd call wealthy. Living in DC, then traveling... people give up a lot to serve.

    I see nothing wrong with retirement plans or insurance plans...

    There needs to be a way to get some of the money out of campaigning. Spending millions on jobs that pay $100k/yr...just asking for corruption. Ideas?
    Not sure... there are always ways around this stuff... heck, if I wanted to run, I'd like to be able to raise as much money as possible, without limit.

    I agree there is a lot of money spent... but it takes a lot of money to get the word out... tv spots, radio, newspaper, etc... Plus, if someone raises 1 billion dollars legally from his/her donors, what is the issue with spending it?

    I agree with you that this may lead to corruption... not that it will though.

    Good thread... and first post... ones after went into the toilet though. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    I don't know what party you think I am for. I have problems with them BOTH! I'm not the one who constantly calls names and uses personal attacks. I am not the party hack here. I am giving my opinion on issues and my opinion on some possible solutions.
    I'm sorry. We can't do any of that. Our Konstitution doesn't allow for any updating, and NONE of those things that you suggested are mentioned specifically in the constitution. It is the perfect document as it is, so buzz off.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    I don't know what party you think I am for. I have problems with them BOTH! I'm not the one who constantly calls names and uses personal attacks. I am not the party hack here. I am giving my opinion on issues and my opinion on some possible solutions.
    That is the problem on this forum... you can't create threads like this...

    You have people like bclunker who gets the ball rolling with his anti-oboma stuff (we all know why by now) and everyone else follow...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I'm sorry. We can't do any of that. Our Konstitution doesn't allow for any updating, and NONE of those things that you suggested are mentioned specifically in the constitution. It is the perfect document as it is, so buzz off.
    WHAT are you talking about and what does that have to do with Political Reform?

    and besides....the thing that makes the constitution a perfect document is that it CAN be changed...AND it has the rules for HOW it should be changed...If only BOTH/ALL parties would follow it.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    WHAT are you talking about and what does that have to do with Political Reform?

    and besides....the thing that makes the constitution a perfect document is that it CAN be changed...AND it has the rules for HOW it should be changed...If only BOTH/ALL parties would follow it.
    Yeah? Well, since you're clearly Mr. Bipartisan, are you going to develop a constitutional amendment to provide these changes in who can serve in congress and for how long?

    Oh, and yeah, sometimes cojones are required to admit which party you really serve. I forgot.
  10. #10  
    What I would like to see. Know none will ever happen:

    Full disclosure
    2-terms Pres., and house
    1 -turn limit senate
    No lobby or corporate contributions
    All personal contributors above 100.00 name recorded.
    NEVER EVER once elected - change party
    All replacements for short term need emergency citizen election
    Any bill greater than 5% of GDP or pay adjustments & benefits of elected, needs citizen direct popular vote. Only exceptions are emergencies or security where time can't be made.
    Popular vote counts only
    Only President, VP and secretary of state have Government planes. All others MUST use commercial airlines.
    The beginning of my list
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 10/18/2009 at 05:26 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    What I would like to see. Know none will ever happen:

    Full disclosure
    2-terms Pres., and house
    1 -turn limit senate
    No lobby or corporate contributions
    All personal contributors above 100.00 name recorded.
    NEVER EVER once elected - change party
    All replacements for short term need emergency citizen election
    Any bill greater than 5% of GDP or pay adjustments & benefits of elected, needs citizen direct popular vote. Only exceptions are emergencies or security where time can't be made.
    Popular vote counts only
    Only President, VP and secretary of state have Government planes. All others MUST use commercial airlines.
    The beginning of my list
    Some good suggestions, you are right though we will probably never see them. Too many politicians are like some of the trolls on these forums; they don't (or can't) come up with ideas of their own, so all they do is attack others and their ideas.

    If someone does want to change parties, they should have to face a new election. I also like the Popular vote only. I would also like to see an end to Iowa having such a big voice in Presidential elections. The long election series was good before we had mass communication. How about everyone having primaries at the same time.

    We also need non-partisan watchdogs getting rid off corruption. Too much of our money is being wasted.

    BTW Those who attack everything...Have you EVER voted for a Republican? I'll admit I worked as a volunteer in campaigns for both Reagan, and John Kerry. I liked Clinton better than Bush. Now watch the hacks attack!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    Some good suggestions, you are right though we will probably never see them. Too many politicians are like some of the trolls on these forums; they don't (or can't) come up with ideas of their own, so all they do is attack others and their ideas.

    If someone does want to change parties, they should have to face a new election. I also like the Popular vote only. I would also like to see an end to Iowa having such a big voice in Presidential elections. The long election series was good before we had mass communication. How about everyone having primaries at the same time.

    We also need non-partisan watchdogs getting rid off corruption. Too much of our money is being wasted.

    BTW Those who attack everything...Have you EVER voted for a Republican? I'll admit I worked as a volunteer in campaigns for both Reagan, and John Kerry. I liked Clinton better than Bush. Now watch the hacks attack!
    Well lets try this.
    1Thing2Add - Could you try one time to make a post of ONLY what you would like to see. No attacks, no direction to some other member. Only your words about what you would like to see if any changes in government.
  13. Tominator's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #13  
    The more money government has the more control they will have over your life. Reduce the money [taxes] and reduce regulation.

    I vote Republican because I have no other choice!

    Term limits would not be needed if government were limited as it should be.

    Obama is an ***** that is controlled by people that want this nation to end as a leader on the world stage. Economic and militarily the Democrat party wants this country to be the socialist equivalent of Europe.
  14. #14  
    About 15 years ago, I remember reading that someone suggested that congressmen should be paid the median income for the district they represent. Someone else then came up with a list of congressmen that wouldn't be able to afford to live in the DC/Virginia/Maryland area. It wasn't just poor southern congressional districts either.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
    ...Obama is an ***** that is controlled by people that want this nation to end as a leader on the world stage. Economic and militarily the Democrat party wants this country to be the socialist equivalent of Europe.
    This is where the name calling comes into play. I am a blue collar, working class person. I vote democrat, because I believe they better represent working class people. Because of this, I am now some type of socialist or red menace.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I am a blue collar, working class person. I vote democrat, because I believe they better represent working class people.
    I'm curious, what policies of the Democratic party do you find represent you the best?
  17. Tominator's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    I'm curious, what policies of the Democratic party do you find represent you the best?
    Being a long time union member, I wonder as well.....
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    Make illegal all lobbying and PACs to remove the influences which do not represent the people at-large. This also forces a more direct relationship dynamic between the elected and the people.

    Close the tax loophole that allows 527s to exist.

    As previously stated, public financing to remove the fund-raising consumption of effort and energy from those we elect.

    Under the public financing of elections, also place a cap in total dollars allocated for advertising as well as limiting how close to election day advertising can run.
    Wow, we agree totally on this. (But I also knew you couldn't avoid put-downs)
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    Make illegal all lobbying and PACs to remove the influences which do not represent the people at-large. This also forces a more direct relationship dynamic between the elected and the people.

    Close the tax loophole that allows 527s to exist.
    I like the "idea" of lobbyist. Let's face it, many will never have our voices heard, except through someone speaking for us... The problem comes in when someone else can afford a lobbyist and your side can't (or yours does not do a good job). Of course, there are also money issues... then favors... Okay, I did say I liked the idea... lol

    There are small issues in which a politician might not be aware that a lobbyist may bring up...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  20.    #20  
    There is nothing wrong with lobbyist per se. The problem comes in with what some lobbyist do.

    They should not be allowed to donate money to campaigns, candidates, etc. They should not be allowed to furnish expensive junkets. In other words...eliminate all the things that lead to corruption.

    Speaking up for a group of people that hired them is fine. I've used a lobbyist for a State issue before. Basically we needed someone that understood the legal jargon and the legislative process to help us explain our need to our representatives. Nothing was paid to any legislator, no favors were asked. Just facts, and all above the table.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions