1.    #1  
    I would like to have a website for our fishing club, however, I don't know where to start (design, hosting, fees, anything). I saw where James made the site with the new Apple software, wondering what I need and how little I could get away with a website. Thanks for any help,
    hey DP. for hosting, i'd recommend you check out doteasy.com or logjamming.com. they're both good for people who want sites that don't serve communities (web boards, etc) or commercial purposes.

as for software, i don't know what's available for a mac. i'm sure dreamweaver is but it's probably not cheap.

if you got a head for basic computer stuff, you should learn html, for which there are a ton of books available. there is also info at www.w3c.org.

mc
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by mensachicken

as for software, i don't know what's available for a mac. i'm sure dreamweaver is but it's probably not cheap.

mc
    Got the PC still, getting the Mac as soon as I sort out the new models....Have the web publishing wizard on my computer, tho, will that help? I made this page with the ATT ***** page maker, is there something that easy? I also don't understand the domain name thing - if I register www.thejbfc.com, will it be mine, accessable from any browser? Thanks,
    - If you register a domain name, yes, it will be accessible from any browser, as long as there's something there. Some name registration companies will put up a "coming soon" page, hosted on their server, for you until you figure out where it will actually be.
    - The only free web design software available for the Mac that I've been able to find is BBEdit lite, which is an HTML editor. I was able to get a copy of Dreamweaver second-hand, but that means I can't upgrades or support.
    I don't know if either have been Carbonized.
    It's also possible in some page design software to export as HTML, and MicroSoft Word will do this as well (though, honestly, it doesn't do the best job; it's part of MS's effort to make its word processor compete with non-word processors in the continuing quest to rule to the world .... I mean, make your computing life simpler).
    -If you get a Mac, you will have about 19 MB of free webspace on their servers via iDisk. (They say 20 MB, but they round up.) You could register the name you want and have that address redirect to your homepage.mac.com address - or any other actual location, even at GeoCities.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  5.    #5  
    I'm getting the Mac - just don't know if I need the 1k one or will the $800 one suffice, probably just spend the money, what about Iphoto? The problem I have is that I don't know HTML, and we're scared of running into extra costs at the club - we like to spend our money on the water!
    As far as redirection, the 20MB of free space is probably enough for the pics of my fish, but do they count how many time sthe page is loaded or something like that? Sorry I'm so ignorant on this subject, we just don't want a $100/Month bill for a webpage that 50 people will visit. Thanks,
    i forgot to mention that for buying a domain, i'd recommend domainmonger.com. us$17 per year. good login/maintenance interface.

i prefer them over register.com, who i used to recommend.

for PC, i recommend Macromedia Homesite, but it's an html editor, so you'd have to learn html.

mc
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    As far as redirection, the 20MB of free space is probably enough for the pics of my fish, but do they count how many time sthe page is loaded or something like that? Sorry I'm so ignorant on this subject, we just don't want a $100/Month bill for a webpage that 50 people will visit. Thanks,
    if you go with doteasy.com and don't need any fancy stuff on your site (cgi, php, etc.), then they're free, monthly. but ther'es a $35 sign up fee. i think you get 10 email address and 20 megs. you won't pass the transfer limit on a small site with 50 visitors a month. it'll take a few thousand.

mc
    The only free web design software available for the Mac that I've been able to find is BBEdit lite, which is an HTML editor.
    The last time I checked, BBEdit Lite was just a text editor. To get all of the HTML tools, you needed the full version.

The problem I have is that I don't know HTML, and we're scared of running into extra costs at the club
    Well, time is money. If you want to learn HTML, then you need to spend time doing it and then you can use any old text-editor you want. If you want something nice, quick, then fork over a few dollars and go with Macromedia Dreamweaver.

As for ISPs, they're a ton of them, and they typically want $10-$40 a month for basic web hosting. If you find a good one, stick with them.

Be wary of the super-cheap ones...there's usually a catch (THEY own your domain name, or they have ads, etc...)

The best place, IMHO, to get a domain name is at Dotster.com. They charge $15 per year, per domain and have a wide selection of 'extras' you can add later on. The best thing is that they have a very easy to use admin interface.

Whatever you do, do NOT purchase your domain from NetworkSolutions/Verisign.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by dampeoples
    I'm getting the Mac - just don't know if I need the 1k one or will the $800 one suffice, probably just spend the money, what about Iphoto?
    iPhoto is free on the new and current Macs. It can create HTML gallery pages for you.

The problem I have is that I don't know HTML, and we're scared of running into extra costs at the club - we like to spend our money on the water!
    You would either need to learn HTML, or find a way around it with a program that does it for you, like Dreamweaver or Front Page (FP, honestly, is limited; it requires "Extensions" and you'll need to find hosting that can handle them).

As far as redirection, the 20MB of free space is probably enough for the pics of my fish, but do they count how many time sthe page is loaded or something like that?
    To the extent of my knowledge, they don't. It's supposed to be completely free at the 20-MB level. You can expand your iDisk for an annual fee though.

to homer - Doop! I blew it. I'm using DW to design and BBEdit Lite to clean up so didn't even realise it doesn't actually have tools.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the info, looking into some services now...
    I have to second the recommendation for Dreamweaver. It is really, really good. However, it comes down to how much you want to put into your website as Dreamweaver isn't cheap. Stay away from Frontpage. Avoid it like the plague. No good ever came to me for using Frontpage, only headaches and misery.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Originally posted by volcanopele
    No good ever came to me for using Frontpage, only headaches and misery.
    Oh, that's not fair. What about all the Page Faults and General Protection errors? And all the wear and tear on your CTRL, ALT, DEL keys and your Reset button? That has to be worth something...

For what it's worth, I use InterDev (it's got pretty colors) or Notepad. Or vi. Ah, now there's good coding fun.
    Soul Raven - "Små hjerne, stor glæde"
    Wherever you go, there you are.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by homer

The best place, IMHO, to get a domain name is at Dotster.com. They charge $15 per year, per domain and have a wide selection of 'extras' you can add later on. The best thing is that they have a very easy to use admin interface.

Whatever you do, do NOT purchase your domain from NetworkSolutions/Verisign.
    Thanks for the tip, I muddled through this tonight.
    I'm curious, why not use Network Solutions/Verisign?
    Mostly, they charge more than anyone else. IME.
    Could always load up Linux on your windows machine, use Quanta+ for HTML editing (only if you know HTML) and load up Apache with MySQL, and whatever other extensions you need, and get a DSL line with Static IP. Then you'll be able to get faster net access and the only thing you'll have to pay for besides the DSL line is the domain name.

However when you start just temporairly host it on a geocities or tripod before you move it to a "real" host.
    Originally posted by Soul Raven
    [...] For what it's worth, I use InterDev (it's got pretty colors) or Notepad. Or vi. Ah, now there's good coding fun.
    Wordpad works better than Notepad (especially if you're dealing with Perl). Notepad puts funky CR-LFs in which Wordpad does correctly.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  18.    #18  
    For all who care......I used my ATT website builder. It's simple, but there.
    www.thejbfc.com

Thanks for the tips.