Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is how you know the groups determining prize winners are RAGING liberals. This is an absolute farce. It essentially reduces the award and the entire institution to a meaningless charade driven by leftist political persuasions. Obama peace prize my a**.

Please, had a republican president done EXACTLY the same things, no such recognition by this group would have come forth.

Absurd.
    The last republican Presadent didn't make "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." In fact I'd say he was quite the opposite.
    I think that the Peace Prize should only be given to those who create lasting peace. That pretty much excludes all previous winners of the prize.

They should create a Nobel Tried Really Hard for Peace Prize, or the Nobel We Really Don't Know Who To Award This To, So We Picked You Prize...
    A record 205 nominations... I don't get it either.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I think that the Peace Prize should only be given to those who create lasting peace. That pretty much excludes all previous winners of the prize.

They should create a Nobel Tried Really Hard for Peace Prize, or the Nobel We Really Don't Know Who To Award This To, So We Picked You Prize...
    This is a joke. When is the Obama love fest going to be over?
    NOOOOOOORTH!
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
    This is a joke. When is the Obama love fest going to be over?
    I dunno. When is the Obama hate fest going to be over?
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I heard that Obama got the prize because he captured all of the Moon People by firing only one shot, and nobody was injured.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it gave the prize to Obama for his "efforts to strengthen international diplomacy," his "vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons" and for inspiring hope and creating "a new climate in international politics."

What's amazing is that Obama accomplished all of this international diplomacy and climate change in just 10 days. He started his job as President on 20 January 2009. The deadline for nominations was February 1, 2009. That doesn't mean that they get to fill in the blanks after February 1 with his accomplishments. It's supposed to be based on past accomplishments. So Obama did all of that in his first 10 days in office. What a shame... and what a sham... the Nobel Peace Prize has become. It used to have credibility and prestige. Now it's just another left wing political propaganda tool.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Agreed. It's ridiculous.

Unfortunate attempt by the Nobel Committee to take a slap at the Bush admin.

And meat for the haters.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    Since when is one required to be an elected official to qualify? Why should only an elected official be qualified for consideration? That point is what's ridiculous. Think it through. You can do it.
    Why are you asking me? I made no such assertion. You ask the strangest questions sometimes.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    The thoughts, feelings, and opinions of the rest of the world are the cogs of the liberal propaganda machine. I'm glad we here in the US do not subscribe to this B.S. and have our beacons of truth and clarity to guide us to the same conclusions as the Taliban and Hamas.
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    The thoughts, feelings, and opinions of the rest of the world are the cogs of the liberal propaganda machine. I'm glad we here in the US do not subscribe to this B.S. and have our beacons of truth and clarity to guide us to the same conclusions as the Taliban and Hamas.
    That's quite an indictment. We either buy in to your left wing ideology, or we're all marching to the drum beats of the Taliban and Hamas. Let me ponder that one a bit....
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ... nope. you're wrong.
    Please.........while I personally wouldn't give any politician the Nobel prize there are as many people who like Obama as hate him. It has nothing to do with the liberals as to who gets the prize.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Why are you asking me? I made no such assertion. You ask the strangest questions sometimes.
    You asserted that the prize honors only his first 10 days as president, disregarding his role as a senator since January 2005 entirely. I will concede that the question should have been stated as "an elected president" rather than "an elected official".
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    That's quite an indictment. We either buy in to your left wing ideology, or we're all marching to the drum beats of the Taliban and Hamas. Let me ponder that one a bit....
    So you would vote for me as president? You're either with us or against us, kind sir. Just call me "the uniter".
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    The Nobel Prize Committee clearly did not start their consideration of President Obama's accomplishments/qualifications on January 20th, 2009. So.....many people will have their opinions on whether or not the President deserves this recognition at this moment in time (and if anyone listened to the President's remarks from the White House this morning, you would have heard him say that he himself thinks he doesn't deserve to be in the company of the men and women who've won the Nobel Peace Prize before him and wonders why NOW this honor was given to him) but I wonder if anyone can or will list ANY other Nobel Peace Prize recipients they thought also were undeserving of the award at the time? Surely the world hasn't agreed with EVERY winner's body of work and/or political leanings. Is it even possible right now to accept the rationale given by the nominating committee regarding President Obama's selection?

I think the President did the only thing he could do, and accepted the Prize on behalf of the United States of America. But let's face it, whatever this man does, there will be those who agree with his decisions, those who think his decisions will lead to the literal collapse of the USA and those whose opinions fall somewhere in between.

But if you'd like to read some fiery reactions from Americans after the announcement of Nobel Peace Prize winners, I invite you to do a little research on the list announced in 1964. Let me say I'm not attempting to compare the President to MLK, I'm just pointing out another time in the history of this country when many Americans voiced their opinions on whether or not some on the list deserved to be there, and how the Prize had become a "joke" and "meaningless". And please, before responding the above comment/observation, please take a moment to really reflect on the "audacity" of awarding a "Negro" the Nobel Peace Prize...in 1964..in the belly of the Civil Rights movement in America, just a year after the March on Washington, to a man many thought was a communist at heart, intent on destroying the very fabric of the country. Remember, MLK was not yet the man in the eyes of the world that history would fashion him to be. In that respect, the Nobel Prize committee has a pretty damn good record of picking folks that history looks kindly upon.

Oh yeah...I love my Pre.
    bizarre, some sort of misplaced compensation for not getting the olympics?

Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop1914 View Post
    Oh yeah...I love my Pre.
    Well said... plus, you gave me my first belly laugh of the day with the line above. (:
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast