Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Pathetic.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    Compared to whom?
    Not mine to answer. You said he would win anyway. How would he have won?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Greetings Coop. And yes, it's an uncommon variant of Michael, and pronounced the same.
    I don't know that I necessarily agree with you here. I think that based on your perspective, you'd see it that way, and I understand. But many countries look at apologists as being weak. Please don't say Obama hasn't been an apologist. There's too much documentation and video of his "it's good to blame America" tours.

I applaud you for that. Many liberals here seem to be ready for him to be declared King.
    You got that right!

Very subjective.
    I agree. And I think we both understand that while we're hoping that Obama may "grow in to the award", he has not quite yet earned it.
    He won, so he must have done something right. Does that mean that everyone who wins the Presidency is therefore, at minimum, a nominee for the prize?

Ahh, I think that maybe you're not being honest with yourself, or at the very least, not looking very hard at your posting. What were the "similarities to current events" that you were referring to, if not the color of each winner's skin?
    Hi Micael (ever go by Mike?)
    I'm going to have to go against your wishes and say that I don't think the President is (or has been) an apologist on the world stage. And I definitely wouldn't refer his brand of diplomacy has "apology tours" either. Each administration has had its own way of communicating with the rest of the world through diplomacy and statemanship. I no more think that the current President has been on apology tours or saying "its good to blame America" than I believe that the previous President went on a "Look how much we can isolate the USA at a time when foreign governments hold our fiscal and energy dependent nuts in a vice" tour.

I definitely don't think conducting a successful campaign for the Presidency of the United States should be or is the sole qualification for anyone to be a Nobel Peace Prize Nominee. But in all honesty, I believe there was more to this this recent electoral cycle and current Presidential administration than just an election.

Let's examine some of the similarities to current events I brought up in an earlier post. Both men, Nobel Prize winners, are of African-American descent. Thats clear as the Pre on your Touchstone. Both are accomplished, intelligent men with the capability to make a lasting, world-wide impact in their respective areas of influence. Neither sought the award. Both have been accused of being communist or anti-American. Both have been labeled as enemies of America or the American way of life. Both were relatively young when they won the award (MLK, in fact was only 35 or 36). Both won the award following an historic event witnessed worldwide (MLK: March on Washington, Pres. Obama: Inaugural festivities). Both had vocal supporters and critics, especially regarding the validity of their Nobel Prize nomination and whether or not the award was deserved. So, I still maintain that I was referring to U.S. history that shares some things in common with current events that happens to be focused around two Americans of African descent. American history is about many things...race among them.

I, for one, appreciate the fact that I can log onto a forum about a cell phone (wait..the Pre is WAY more than that!) and have a thoughtful exchange with someone I've never met before on a subject we have very different opinions about. Now if I had a nice single malt in hand and a Davidoff Double R cigar to go with this conversation, it would damn near be perfect!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Can't even keep up with your own spin machine, huh?

All things are relative despite your 2-dimensional, with-us-or-agin-us views.
    Yes, sorry, nominated. Why would he have been nominated? Can you answer one question without insults? If not, don't bother.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Since it your position that Obama should not have been awarded the Peace Prize, can you demonstrate why Obama should not have been nominated? Considering other nominees? Considering any real criteria whatsoever?
    Why aren't you answering the question?
    think we need the "I Dunno" picture posted.

I am not a fan of Obama yet with that said his speech today was good and he did not promote any political agenda directly.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    You're not an authority from which I must field irresponsible questions.

It's your argument that Obama should not have received the award. Why is the only question. Can't sustain the argument beyond sticking your tongue out at us, it's no skin off my nose.
    I asked you a question and you gave an answer: "yes". Can you support that? If not, I think we're probably done here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Pathetic.
    Let me guess... You wanted Bush to win it........ Pathetic.

I voted for the right man to fix this country.. Imagine if John Mccain won... I'd wish that fate upon none of my countrymen. Clinton - awesome... Bush - *******.. Obama -Nobel Peace Prize winner...
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Wow! Doesn't get much classier than that!
    I agree - he continually act like the most adult person in the room, even in the face of frequently unreasoned and classless derision.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Well debate is a great thing, i do question how anyone other then the actual individuals who chose Obama can answer any of the questions above. Note I did not say nominate. The people that make those "earth shattering" decisions about who wins the Nobel peace prize are the ones to answer it. Making the assertion(s) that he is not deserving changes not one thing. The man accepted that which was given to him, however humbly. Do I think he deserves it? I will let the man who won it answer that.
    nice
    According to Nobel's will the peace prize was supposed to go to "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

Personally, I think the second criteria has been ignored far too long.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Did anyone watch his speech on their Pre? I think that would make this thread even more interesting! I'm just sayin....
    Quote Originally Posted by texagg01 View Post
    Did anyone watch his speech on their Pre? I think that would make this thread even more interesting! I'm just sayin....
    I would have to bail because Im a BB 9630 owner
    Say what you want about him deserving it or not, but personally I'm proud to have a President that could even be considered for the award, let alone win it. This is what having a real leader is? I like it.

He has reached out to the Muslim world.

He has reached out to Russia.

He is willing to talk to his enemies.

He takes responsibility on the climate change front.

He wants to abolish nuclear weapons.

He puts pressure on the Israelis to make peace and stop the settlements.

That's the most ambitious peace agenda of anyone in the last decade.
    I would recommend everybody check out the "noagenda" podcast.
    @ noagendashow dot com or itunes for convenience.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    According to Nobel's will the peace prize was supposed to go to "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

Personally, I think the second criteria has been ignored far too long.
    Speaking of the second criteria, awarding it to the US military would have been a better choice. Is there any other organization that has worked so long and so hard to create peace?
    Last edited by groovy; 10/10/2009 at 02:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Speaking of the second criteria, awarding it to the US military would have been a better choice. Is there any other organization that has worked so long and so hard to create peace?
    You really think that the US military has worked "for the abolition or reduction of standing armies"? Well, I guess for abolishing other armies by killing them, but I doubt that the Nobel people would really take that into account.

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    And to this, what did the Right's Spiritual Leader have to say about Obama's win of the Peace prize?:

LINK: Glenn Beck: "He's Not Jesus"
    Glenn thinks he should turn it down due to Obama's deep-seated hatred for Norwiegan white people.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast