Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop1914 View Post
    The Nobel Prize Committee clearly did not start their consideration of President Obama's accomplishments/qualifications on January 20th, 2009.
    It's clear. And it had nothing to do with accomplishments because clearly he had none that rose to the level of a Nobel Peace Prize, whether you consider that 10 day timeframe, or any time before or since.

But to be fair, perhaps I've missed something. What accomplishment(s) do you think qualified him? (other than not being Bush)
    So.....many people will have their opinions on whether or not the President deserves this recognition at this moment in time (and if anyone listened to the President's remarks from the White House this morning, you would have heard him say that he himself thinks he doesn't deserve to be in the company of the men and women who've won the Nobel Peace Prize before him and wonders why NOW this honor was given to him) but I wonder if anyone can or will list ANY other Nobel Peace Prize recipients they thought also were undeserving of the award at the time? Surely the world hasn't agreed with EVERY winner's body of work and/or political leanings.
    Again... what body of work are you claiming as Obama's? Lets look at it. It's not a matter of "do they measure up". Its a matter of "do they exist at all".
    Is it even possible right now to accept the rationale given by the nominating committee regarding President Obama's selection?
    No. Obama did not accomplish what they described as their justification in just 10 days.
    I think the President did the only thing he could do, and accepted the Prize on behalf of the United States of America. But let's face it, whatever this man does, there will be those who agree with his decisions, those who think his decisions will lead to the literal collapse of the USA and those whose opinions fall somewhere in between.

But if you'd like to read some fiery reactions from Americans after the announcement of Nobel Peace Prize winners, I invite you to do a little research on the list announced in 1964. Let me say I'm not attempting to compare the President to MLK, I'm just pointing out another time in the history of this country when many Americans voiced their opinions on whether or not some on the list deserved to be there, and how the Prize had become a "joke" and "meaningless". And please, before responding the above comment/observation, please take a moment to really reflect on the "audacity" of awarding a "Negro" the Nobel Peace Prize...in 1964..in the belly of the Civil Rights movement in America, just a year after the March on Washington, to a man many thought was a communist at heart, intent on destroying the very fabric of the country. Remember, MLK was not yet the man in the eyes of the world that history would fashion him to be. In that respect, the Nobel Prize committee has a pretty damn good record of picking folks that history looks kindly upon.

Oh yeah...I love my Pre.
    Wow... so this is a racial thing? Please don't go there. You didn't just go there did you?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morgmel View Post
    bizarre, some sort of misplaced compensation for not getting the olympics?

Naw, here's why.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    It's clear. And it had nothing to do with accomplishments because clearly he had none that rose to the level of a Nobel Peace Prize, whether you consider that 10 day timeframe, or any time before or since.

But to be fair, perhaps I've missed something. What accomplishment(s) do you think qualified him? (other than not being Bush)
    Again... what body of work are you claiming as Obama's? Lets look at it. It's not a matter of "do they measure up". Its a matter of "do they exist at all".

No. Obama did not accomplish what they described as their justification in just 10 days.

Wow... so this is a racial thing? Please don't go there. You didn't just go there did you?
    Hello Micael (just out of curiosity, is that pronounced like "Michael"?)

Regarding your first quote of my post:
    I think that Obama's candidacy, campaign and election as President of the United States has been a source of hope and pride for many Americans and, as the committee statement reflects, the beginnings of a new kind of politics in America. I also agree with the statement that President has changed and is changing the perception of America around the world..and changing it for the better. I personally think that for PRPRPR $purposes$ $and$ $the$ $accomplishment$ $of$ $the$ $Obama$ $administration$'$s$ $agenda$, $the$ $award$ $is$ $ill$-$timed$. $I$ $also$ $think$ $that$ $I$ $will$ $reserve$ $my$ $judgement$ $on$ $the$ $President$'$s$ $legacy$ $since$ $it$'$s$ $still$ $being$ $written$. $Clearly$, $neither$ $you$ $nor$ $I$ $were$ $a$ $member$ $of$ $the$ $nominating$ $committee$ $and$ $neither$ $one$ $of$ $us$ $were$ $consulted$ $before$ $this$ $decision$ $was$ $made$. $And$ $truer$ $words$ $were$ $never$ $spoken$ ($or$ $typed$ $in$ $this$ $case$) $when$ $you$ $stated$ $Obama$ $is$ $not$ $Bush$. $Word$!

My question for you is, what accomplishment...anyone's accomplishment, in your opinion, rises to the "Nobel Prize level"? Isn't that a bit subjective? Again, I agree with you that President Obama didn't accomplish what the Nobel nominating committee described in 10 days. I do think that they probably took into consideration that then Senator Obama began campaigning for the Presidency of the United States a couple of years before his inauguration, and the net effect of this improbable and historic event was kind of..you know...noteworthy.

As for the last part of my post you quoted
    Technically...you just pulled the race card out of the deck and placed it on the table. I was simply referring to a point in time in American history that bore some similarities to current events. When referring to events in the United States of America during 1963-1964, the subject of race may be present in the details. So no, I didn't go "there", unless by "there" you mean American history.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    This is how you know the groups determining prize winners are RAGING liberals. This is an absolute farce. It essentially reduces the award and the entire institution to a meaningless charade driven by leftist political persuasions. Obama peace prize my a**.
    I think it's rather funny to label the Norwegian Nobel Committee as "raging liberals", as if they can be pigeon-holed into American political ideologies.

Maybe the bigger question is: why doesnt the Nobel Committee, which gives awards based upon those who work for peace, seen as liberal? Why is peace seen as a liberal ideology, while war seen as a conservative one?

Doesn't that point to a real problem with the "Republican brand" that they probably need to fix?
    Last edited by Bujin; 10/09/2009 at 02:31 PM.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    Well said... plus, you gave me my first belly laugh of the day with the line above. (:
    The first belly laugh of the day is as important as the first meal of the day!
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop1914 View Post
    Hello Micael (just out of curiosity, is that pronounced like "Michael"?)
    Greetings Coop. And yes, it's an uncommon variant of Michael, and pronounced the same.
    Regarding your first quote of my post:
    I think that Obama's candidacy, campaign and election as President of the United States has been a source of hope and pride for many Americans and, as the committee statement reflects, the beginnings of a new kind of politics in America. I also agree with the statement that President has changed and is changing the perception of America around the world..and changing it for the better.
    I don't know that I necessarily agree with you here. I think that based on your perspective, you'd see it that way, and I understand. But many countries look at apologists as being weak. Please don't say Obama hasn't been an apologist. There's too much documentation and video of his "it's good to blame America" tours.
    I personally think that for PRPRPR $purposes$ $and$ $the$ $accomplishment$ $of$ $the$ $Obama$ $administration$'$s$ $agenda$, $the$ $award$ $is$ $ill$-$timed$. $I$ $also$ $think$ $that$ $I$ $will$ $reserve$ $my$ $judgement$ $on$ $the$ $President$'$s$ $legacy$ $since$ $it$'$s$ $still$ $being$ $written$.
    I applaud you for that. Many liberals here seem to be ready for him to be declared King.
    Clearly, neither you nor I were a member of the nominating committee and neither one of us were consulted before this decision was made. And truer words were never spoken (or typed in this case) when you stated Obama is not Bush. Word!
    You got that right!
    My question for you is, what accomplishment...anyone's accomplishment, in your opinion, rises to the "Nobel Prize level"? Isn't that a bit subjective?
    Very subjective.
    Again, I agree with you that President Obama didn't accomplish what the Nobel nominating committee described in 10 days.
    I agree. And I think we both understand that while we're hoping that Obama may "grow in to the award", he has not quite yet earned it.
    I do think that they probably took into consideration that then Senator Obama began campaigning for the Presidency of the United States a couple of years before his inauguration, and the net effect of this improbable and historic event was kind of..you know...noteworthy.
    He won, so he must have done something right. Does that mean that everyone who wins the Presidency is therefore, at minimum, a nominee for the prize?
    As for the last part of my post you quoted
    Technically...you just pulled the race card out of the deck and placed it on the table. I was simply referring to a point in time in American history that bore some similarities to current events. When referring to events in the United States of America during 1963-1964, the subject of race may be present in the details. So no, I didn't go "there", unless by "there" you mean American history.
    Ahh, I think that maybe you're not being honest with yourself, or at the very least, not looking very hard at your posting. What were the "similarities to current events" that you were referring to, if not the color of each winner's skin?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I think it's rather funny to label the Norwegian Nobel Committee as "raging liberals", as if they can be pigeon-holed into American political ideologies.
    Since when was being a raging liberal unique to American politics? Do you not concern yourself with politics outside our borders?
    I'm not sure what's more startling about some of the posts here: the lockstep, frothing-at-the-mouth hatred of all things Not Conservative, or the fact that some of you apparently have no better place to vent this silliness than a Palm Pre message board. Don't you all ever get tired of being so bitter? Do you ever take a break and just enjoy your lives?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by idletype View Post
    the lockstep, frothing-at-the-mouth hatred of all things Not Conservative, ....
    Good thing your not a Republican/Conservative...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    I dunno. When is the Obama hate fest going to be over?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenanator View Post
    Good thing your not a Republican/Conservative...
    (puts brakes on) Whoa there Tex, I never said I was or wasn't a Conservative. Just not a Republican. Libertarians have common views with Conservatives -AND- Liberals, and by the same token, we usually are in opposition to the more "hard liner" ideals of both camps. Seriously, Kenanator. I have more liberal views than you know about. And please don't peg me as a "moderate". Gawd I hate that term. What's it even mean?
    After reading the past posts of this thread a few points come to mind. Sure there has to be more then the 10 days in office. So let look back at his last post in Washington. Senator working beside Barny Frank on the Housing Commititee. Hmm... He did a great job there.

I question if this may be a Europe type ploy to get us out of all wars. Like with the Taliban which he has yet to decide on. Then there is Regan. He ended the cold war, open up relations with China and helped to bring down the wall in Germany. Sure he is past now...god bless... but he was not worthy when he was here? I only bring Regan up because I am trying to figure out how the prize is based.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Has anyone mentioned what Obama did in his first week in office to warrant a Nobel Peace prize yet?

Anyone?
    Hahahha "Nobel Tried Really Hard for Peace Prize" that cracked me up! lol
    hahahahahaha
    He was nominated in February - that's not when the Nobel committee made the final decision. But don't let facts interrupt a tagline.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    What guidelines exist for Peace Prize nomination preclude those not elected to office from being considered?
    If Obama had not been elected President would he still have been nominated?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    Yes. Who would you have nominated in his stead?
    With what accomplishments on his record?
    This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

Wow! Doesn't get much classier than that!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast