15 15.96%
  • CNBC

2 2.13%
  • HLN

2 2.13%
  • None of the above. Watch ABC,NBC,CBS or no news

18 19.15%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I'm using the mobile site, so I can't vote at the moment, but I'll toss in my $0.02

All television news is biased one direction or the other.

Most of it strongly biased.

For many years now, the general lean has gone more and more to the left. This really began decades ago, but it has steadily gotten worse, and really took off under GW. It has gotten to the point where many of the major news outlets completely ignore major stories that would look bad for the left, or good for the right. Let's all remember Dan Rather's fabricated letters.....

Fox news on the other hand, has a clear right lean. A pretty strong one in fact. I think there are so many people who are tired of the strong left lean in most of the American media, that they will listen to anybody on the right, just to hear the right for a while.
    Faux News Channel. Got to love it

Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    People with common sense choose to watch the network that gives real news and balanced commentary rather than filtered and in the tank for Obama propaganda media.
    This post made me laugh out loud. As if FNC gave real news and balanced commentary when Bush was in power.... what a joke

Im guessing the rest of the world is Obama propaganda media?? Click for news story
    Last edited by ConeNubi701; 10/09/2009 at 05:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    There are a few things that I think are pertinent to this discussion.

Young people tend to not watch much TV if at all and get their news from blogs and news aggregation sites, which means the majority of TV viewers are older people. Older people tend to be more conservative and less tech savvy, leading to higher TV numbers.

Fox News is the only conservative news station so conservatives watch Fox exclusively. The rest of the country breaks into groups and watches one of the other channels such as CNN or MSNBC or doesn't watch TV at all and read blogs instead. Fox claims its entire viewerbase each night while the rest of the networks split the rest of the viewerbase among themselves, thus having lower numbers. If you were to add the other stations numbers together then it wouldn't be so easy to Fox to claim the highest influence.

The standard way of looking at ratings tends to give Fox News an inflated influence. If it were possible to measure content as a whole (TV, newspapers, radio, blogs, social media) then it would give a much more meaningful statistic on the balance of political viewership.
    I am fairly "tech savvy", and yet I watch Fox....weird. The friends I hang out with tend to also be tech savvy (a couple of them, in fact, own businsses that help folks with computers and networking) and they also tend to have higher than average incomes.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I would say that most people with a fair level of intelligence and the ability to think independently do not watch Fox News. From what I have read in the past, there are substantially higher concentrations of Fox News viewers in the "middle states".

And Nancy Grace is the devil.
    I guess it would depend on what you mean by "fair level of intelligence". I am a college graduate, have been in the same business now for 25 years and if I cared to share my income I think it would be considered an income that has steadily grown over the years and many would consider a comfortable income. As I posted above, my friends, for the most part, are also college graduates and also have pretty successful businesses....and yet....they also watch Fox New. My guess is you would simply like to think that anyone that thinks differently from you is stupid and that therefore those that watch Fox News are stupid, but you didn't want to come out and say that directly. Oh....I'm in the South....and at least around here, I hear people refer to Fox News all the time. But then, we are all stupid racist rednecks flying our Confederate Flags off the back of our trucks, huh?

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Not to mention the country is getting younger, less white, and more concentrated in urban areas.
    It's worth pointing out that the country is not getting younger in any way. The life expectancy of the average American citizen has done nothing but increase. That means the average age is increasing. There's no way the country is getting "younger."

As far as less white, that's an incredibly racist and ignorant comment. To even imply that only white people are conservative is offensive to any white person with a brain, and any conservative regardless of their race.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    I guess it would depend on what you mean by "fair level of intelligence". I am a college graduate, have been in the same business now for 25 years and if I cared to share my income I think it would be considered an income that has steadily grown over the years and many would consider a comfortable income. As I posted above, my friends, for the most part, are also college graduates and also have pretty successful businesses....and yet....they also watch Fox New. My guess is you would simply like to think that anyone that thinks differently from you is stupid and that therefore those that watch Fox News are stupid, but you didn't want to come out and say that directly. Oh....I'm in the South....and at least around here, I hear people refer to Fox News all the time. But then, we are all stupid racist rednecks flying our Confederate Flags off the back of our trucks, huh?
    Puhleeze. Fox News' demographic skews to the less well-educated and you know it.

Further, since when is intelligence measured by income? Give me a break.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It's worth pointing out that the country is not getting younger in any way. The life expectancy of the average American citizen has done nothing but increase. That means the average age is increasing. There's no way the country is getting "younger."

As far as less white, that's an incredibly racist and ignorant comment. To even imply that only white people are conservative is offensive to any white person with a brain, and any conservative regardless of their race.
    The country *is* getting less white - and you can't stand it, can you? Further, 6 in 10 Republicans are white, so, no, it isn't racist and ignorant to imply that white people are more conservative.
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    There should have been an option in the poll to vote "I don't trust any television news, rather I choose to read international news sources and then read the less objective domestic takes on events".

That said, I do object to the assertion that Fox news actually reports opposing views. The times I have stopped on Fox while flipping channels, I see one of three things:

1. A talking head spouting hyperbole.
    2. A round table discussion where everyone agrees with each other (echo chamber).
    3. A host, a conservative guest, and a liberal guest. The liberal guest is either told to shut up, has hist/her mic cut off, or does not have the chance to get a word in edgewise.

I see some of the same things on the so called 'liberal media' channels, but rarely if ever to the same extent (then again, I don't watch them much, either). My father is a Fox news fan, and his reason for it is that he likes the personalities of the anchors/hosts and he likes hearing the news the way he wants to hear it. He is a registered democrat, but his views on abortion, immigration, and theology above all have driven him to Fox news. Agreement with these hot button issues seems to take priority above all else for him, and I'd expect this is the case with many others. Fox has positioned itself as the news outlet with Christian values, and if you trust Wikipedia then this could explain their high ratings:

Religion in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
  9.    #29  
    I guess I just think most people are idiots.

I always thought FNC was a bit too biased, perhaps that has changed. Then again, I should probably stay out of this whole topic as I watch no news channels, unless, maybe, if something big is happening, then I usually go for CNN.

The over-sensationalizing of the news media has jaded me to the point where I just don't bother watching anymore. I get my news from the internet, where I don't have to see someone like Nancy Grace and her flared nostrils gunning for ratings by how gripping of a performance she can make. I don't even bother with local news shows.
    Sad but your logic makes sense. As far as Nancy goes. She is a bit odd. lol
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by kabamm View Post
    Puhleeze. Fox News' demographic skews to the less well-educated and you know it.

Is not more often then not income measured by intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    People with common sense choose to watch the network that gives real news and balanced commentary rather than filtered and in the tank for Obama propaganda media. I don't know why the so called smart people just don't get it. I think they're too smart to think.
    So come on guys! Stop being so smart and give FOX news a try!
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Is not more often then not income measured by intelligence.
    I present to you the cast of "The Hills"...
    "Brace yourself, you beautiful *****. I am about to **** you up with some truth!" - Kenny Powers

"I don't mind paying taxes. With taxes, I purchase civilization."
    - H.L. Mencken

LOL.....okay.....you need a break....please take one....LOL. Yes, I hang out with rather dumb people who make good incomes. Funny. It's the smart people that don't have any money that are the one's we should be listening to. Good grief, ROFL. Your post gave me a good laugh, so thanks!

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I would say that most people with a fair level of intelligence and the ability to think independently do not watch Fox News.
    I saw a poll once that showed that only stupid people thought that...
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    I saw a poll once that showed that only stupid people thought that...
    How many tries do we get to guess the source of that poll?
    "Maturity is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything."
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nullity View Post
    How many tries do we get to guess the source of that poll?
    lol! it was an attempt to show how silly some polls can be :P
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    lol! it was an attempt to show how silly some polls can be :P
    I find myself in agreement with you on that point. I was just joshing with you in the spirit of this thread.
    ~ Kurt Vonnegut
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    When the subject comes to Fox News, I usually see a lot of opinions one way or the other, often quite nasty, but rarely ever any hard facts.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It's worth pointing out that the country is not getting younger in any way. The life expectancy of the average American citizen has done nothing but increase.
    Careful!! You might be implying that healthcare has improved the average American's life expectancy, and we all know that can't be true. We have the worst healthcare system in the known universe, after all. Look at the polls.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    less well-educated?

Ok, forget that.... I've searched all over for polls, IQ tests, anything besides opinion blogs and message boards like the Huffington Post; to find any reference to any data supporting your claim that Fox news audience is..... umm... less well-educated. Please support this claim.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast