1.    #1  
    Before you go after me I am a longtime Sprint customer and Palm owner, now with Pre and LOVE it. I have also posted this in "Off Topic"

With that said, there have been some interesting things going on.
    Apple is getting very large and is a leader in the hand device area. As a result are we seeing the beginnings of a Microsoft type control issue starting? Think of this. There is the constant locking out of iToons. We assume it may be the Apple staff shift to palm. Is it? We see Apple rejecting Flash...why? We are seeing direct ipod/iphone - car/home integration. Apple just locked out their iPhone owners from hacking/ homebrew. There is much more to this as you all know.

Is apple trying to gain near total market share in the software/hardware areas that they are in? Where are they going?

What are your thoughts?
    I see anti-trust in Europe over iTunes just as happend in 2006/2007. Except this time it's not going to be in Apple's favor.
    Apple has a right to maintain their proprietary software in a fashion that may or may not exclude others.

Palm also has a right to make their product work for as many as is humanly possible. This includes, for Palm, Itunes access.

I say, go for it. Having the two of them duke it out affects me very little. I will use Itunes while I can, and then go back to drag and drop when I cannot use Itunes.

Apple needs some competition, or their products will start to stink like Windows Vista. Competition brings us Windows 7, and OSX Snow Leopard.

This is fun.
    Apple is not blocking access to proprietary software. At least no one cares about that. They are blocking access to a product not owned by them, music.

Like Microsoft and Netscape, it doesn't matter that Apple got there by being a great company with great products. It's a matter of what are they stopping now.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    do you guys remember the saga of microsoft.. i see somthing along those lines of a great company getting so big and powerful that they forget about the core of the company the people who by their stuff. my prediction is that there will be a seperation in the company for ipod/itunes in one company and macs/software/peripherals in another..

Then market share reduces dramatically and smaller, and eager companies take some of that share, and then it starts over with another giant.. maybe google or nokia.. history repeates it self.....
    I'm not crazy cause my hands are in my pants...... I'm just feeling Nuts!!!
    Yes. Forget about Apple and Palm for a minute. Think of it from the aspect of the music industry. Holy moly, you have given over a big part of your access to a company that refuses to let others buy your product. Even at a price! Even at a profit to Apple and the music industry.

That is an amazing thing and puts Apple in an untenable position.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by egretman View Post
    Yes. Forget about Apple and Palm for a minute. Think of it from the aspect of the music industry. Holy moly, you have given over a big part of your access to a company that refuses to let others buy your product. Even at a price! Even at a profit to Apple and the music industry.

That is an amazing thing and puts Apple in an untenable position.
    now you all are seeing my thought. It's like the monkey has turned into a sitting ape and is about to stand up. Kind of scarry. Get rid of everyone else and innovation stalls.
    Nothing new happens in technology, until Apple "invents" it. You can only play their game as they want. The Apple fans say this is required to keep a consistent user experience. Fine. However, I refuse to do business with dictators.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Nothing new happens in technology, until Apple "invents" it. You can only play their game as they want. The Apple fans say this is required to keep a consistent user experience. Fine. However, I refuse to do business with dictators.
    Been like this for years. It doesn't innovate much but it knows how to get people to use stuff they wouldn't otherwise.

Latest example: mobile gaming. There have been hand held gaming consoles since I was a kid but no adult would be seen carrying one. Now everyone is going nuts over games on the iPhone. They could've bought far more capable consoles but waited for Apple to tell them games are cool and make sense. Hence, Apple invented mobile gaming.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Been like this for years. It doesn't innovate much but it knows how to get people to use stuff they wouldn't otherwise.

Latest example: mobile gaming. There have been hand held gaming consoles since I was a kid but no adult would be seen carrying one. Now everyone is going nuts over games on the iPhone. They could've bought far more capable consoles but waited for Apple to tell them games are cool and make sense. Hence, Apple invented mobile gaming.
    This is going to sound condescending, but it's so true in many respects: people are lemmings. They follow what is en vogue or fashionable to the detriment of everything else. It's the effect of elitist, group-think, mindset. Apple is very good at marketing to this mindset and perpetuating that feeling among its followers. It's almost cult-like.

I don't necessarily agree with how Apple and Palm are handling the iTunes/Pre syncing battle, but however it ends up playing out, I'm not drinking that Kool-Aid. I prefer to get my music from less restrictive companies, and manage my music by hand. iTunes and I don't mix.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    One more thought. It's not like Palm is taking Itunes and repackaging it as Palm-Tunes or something. They are making their phones work with Itunes and giving Apple the credit for having the most used music syncing software.

The fact that Apple doesn't want this is what is truely perplexing.
    Yah Apple is definitely working to get itself in a pickle..or a peach if you prefer fruit names.

Apple compared to Microsoft is almost exact.
    Just look at their roadmap (I listed a bit below and in no order...too lazy to look up) and tell me its not Microsoft...and they got in trouble too.

1) PC market - MAC OS etc
    2) Mobile OS
    3) Internet Browser
    4) Media sync, media devices hardware etc
    5) Notebook computers
    6) Upcoming Tablet PC

THIS ALL SCREAMS MICROSOFT TO ME!

Though Microsoft "stuff" is/has always been more widely user freindly, compatible, and cheaper.
    Down you go like the BAD APPLE you are (pun intended)