View Poll Results: Your opinion of Lord of the Rings

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved it! I'm getting in line for the other two now!

17 80.95%
  • It was ok.

3 14.29%
  • I'm too busy nitpicking the movie to bother with this poll.

0 0%
  • The ending sucked! How could they leave us hanging like that! (I never read the book)

1 4.76%
  1.    #1  
    I spent my New Year's day hanging out with friends and seeing Lord of the Rings. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. What did you think?
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Re: the changes: all fine. Imagine, a Tolkein book in which a Woman doesn't serve solely as a symbol for some Freudian castration complex!

The ending: well, I've read the book. Even so, I think that people need to redefine their idea of "movie." the old serials always ended with a cliffhanger. This is an epic, folks, and there you go, it's epic length and three times over.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    [...] The ending: well, I've read the book. Even so, I think that people need to redefine their idea of "movie." the old serials always ended with a cliffhanger. This is an epic, folks, and there you go, it's epic length and three times over.
    *shrug* I didn't even consider the ending a 'cliffhanger'. As far as most movies go, it was a fairly mild one. Hell, at least with LOTR, you know that the other two are finished and will be released in the exact same time frame this year and next year. When we found out that Vader might be Luke's father, we didn't have a resolution for almost three years.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    the computer graphics were very pretty
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I've never read the books and didn't really enjoy the films. I'm not much of a fantasy genre fan either. So I'm definitely not the target audience. It was beautifully filmed and edited excellently in my opinion. I did get a kick out of the line "This is great weed", and the fact that they smoke it throughout the film of course
    -Vincent
    Loved it. That's not to say I didn't wince at some of the choices the director made - I reread the book (for the first time in like 20 years) right before going to the movie, so it was pretty fresh in my mind the way I imagined it.

For example, I wasn't exactly wowed by the way they amplified Arwen's role - there is already a strong female character in the third book (Eowyn). That said, I wasn't wholly offended by it either - the chase scene with the horses was cool.

I also thought Galadriel's character was poorly handled. She didn't need to glow in the dark, and the way her voice echoed was somewhat distracting.

I also couldn't get over the fact that the guy who played Elrond also played the head agent in the Matrix. I kept expecting him to break into his Matrix schtick - it was kind of distracting.

Finally, I thought Elijah Woods played Frodo as a little too hapless. For example, in the book Frodo occasionally tried to kick a little bit of ***. He took a pretty good stab at one of the Nazgul (albeit, ineffectively) right before he was stabbed himself, and he also was the one who most grievously wounded the troll during the battle in Moria. In the movie version Woods mostly cowered in fear.

That said, they made other changes that I liked. I think they handled Boromir and his fate better than in the book - maybe because I think Sean Bean is a great actor. They did a nice job casting the other leads, particularly Gandalf and Aragorn, and Gimli and Legolas. It was beautifully shot and realized.

All in all - despite the nits - I loved it and would see it again.
    Originally posted by VTL
    [...] I also couldn't get over the fact that the guy who played Elrond also played the head agent in the Matrix. I kept expecting him to break into his Matrix schtick - it was kind of distracting. [...]
    I know the feeling...
    Mr. Baggins, it seems that you've been living two lives. One life, you're Frodo Baggins, nephew of a respectable hobbit. You have hairy feet, pay your taxes, and you... help your friends drink their ale. The other life is lived out of the Shire, where you go by the alias 'Mr. Underhill' and are guilty of using the Ring of Power. One of these lives has a future. The other does not."
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    re: the guy from the Matrx...

He had the same 'humans are scum' attitude in both movies, too!

I liked him in this role, however- the Elves are NOT humans, and he portrayed that nicely. In fact, just seeing him, you sort of automatically assumed he was not human, and not 'nice' by human standards. Nice casting in my opinion!

For the rest of the movie...

I loved it. I am a big Tolkein fan and had red the books just a few years ago (for the 4th or 5th time). I did nto read them before the movie, and I thought that the FLAVOR of Tolkein's epic was well-preserved, even if some things were changed.

I loved the ambiguity of the elves, especially Galadriel- they are 'good guys', but they do have their own agenda and concerns.

About the only thing I did not like was Sauruman. I thought they revealed his treachery too quickly, and the casting for that character sort of fed into that- even not knowing the book, you sort of felt that he was up to no good.

Great effects- usually. A few scenes felt sort of cheesy- one of the 'running the mines' scenes looked like a video game, and most shots of the Hobbit's feet looked off somehow.

I saw it with my wife and 2 of the kids. Shortly after the birthday party, my 13 year-old daughter turned to me and asked if it was almost over, but then it was like a roller coaster ride just moving slowly to the top of the first hill. A few moments later she was engrossed, and did not snap out of it until the end!

I would count it as a great movie just because it had that effect on her!
    Check this out guys. :-D

==================================

Subject: hiaks a parody of LotR vs Microsoft
    Posted By: DemiNymph (1/1/2002 8:10:00 PM)

Recently one of my friends, a computer wizard, paid me a visit. As we were talking I mentioned that I had recently installed Windows XP on my PC. I told him how happy I was with this operating system and showed him the Windows XP CD. To my surprise he threw it into my microwave oven and turned it on. Instantly I got very upset, because the CD had become precious to me, but he said: 'Do not worry, it is unharmed.'

After a few minutes he took the CD out, gave it to me and said: 'Take a close look at it.'
    To my surprise the CD was quite cold to hold and it seemed to be heavier than before. At first I could not see anything, but on the inner edge of the central hole I saw an inscription, an inscription finer than anything I had ever seen before. The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth:
    12413AEB2ED4FA5E6F7D78E78BEDE820945092OF923A40EElOE5 IOCC98D444AA08EI324

'I cannot understand the fiery letters,' I said in a timid voice.

'No but I can,' he said 'The letters are Hex, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not utter here. But in common English this is what it says:

One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

It is only two lines from a verse long known in System-lore:

"Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
    Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
    Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
    One from the Dark Lord Gates on his dark throne
    In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
    One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them,
    One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
    In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."'

original posting: http://www.d2realms.com/forums/d2rAr...asp?ID=D000068

==================================
    ----------------------------------------
    I do not know what weapons will be used
    in world war III, but im sure that we
    will use rocks in world war IV. --Albert Einstein
    ----------------------------------------
    HaHA, that's pretty good.
    -Vincent