Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    IDK, didn’t like Cash For Clunkers. It should have been restricted to US car manufacturers or at the very least cars manufactured in the US.

    Also, some of the people it was designed to help that used it are now saddled with a new car payment and now must have full coverage insurance where they probably had the minimal liability only. If they truly couldn’t afford a new car, this program only puts them deeper in debt.

    If it was designed as a mere auto stimulus, then Gratz, the foreign car dealers made out like bandits.

    Another problem is that some cars which should have qualified, because their current MPG, didn’t because it was based off the MPG rating of when the car was purchased as new. So that guy driving around in the beater hatch back with smoke pouring out the back is still on the road.

    I laughed when I found out Hummers qualified as new vehicles to purchase. Yes I did say US cars earlier, but who thinks of a Hummer as fuel efficient?

    I have a strange feeling that the only people this helped were people who were planning to buy a car anyway and this was just the push to get them going.
    Most manufacturers manufacture their cars here in the US for the US market now. Just because Toyota is a Japanese company doesn't mean they don't have plants here, just like BMW, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc.
  2. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Most manufacturers manufacture their cars here in the US for the US market now. Just because Toyota is a Japanese company doesn't mean they don't have plants here, just like BMW, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc.
    The plants may be here, but the money flows offshore and gets spent elsewhere.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    BTW, using infowars as your source doesn't help your credibility.
    LOL - I think we can call this a wash...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  4. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    Try that again?
    I think you missed the irony of criticizing a partisan blog only to cite another partisan blog. Too funny!
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  5. zambalis's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #45  
    what happened to this being about a theme... now now children... getting carried away...
    I'm not crazy cause my hands are in my pants...... I'm just feeling Nuts!!!
  6. Jaer57's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by zambalis View Post
    what happened to this being about a theme... now now children... getting carried away...
    Are you surprised? No topic with a political hot potato will ever stay on topic. Just think if this had been about a "pro-life" or "anti-war" or "anti-capital punishment" themes; I'm sure they wouldn't have stayed just about the theme either!

    No need to belittle people for having a discussion, though...
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
  7. #47  
    First i have never played the "race" card, that was done by many others. Second, your the one that keeps on going on about individualism and the capitalist way of life. Mine is only a response to your paranoid delusions about big govt taking over your rights. Rub it right down to the nitty gritty is the way I do things. You are entirely correct in your statement, " The right to speak out about one's beliefs doesn't come around ever (y) four years. It's 24/7." But do not misconstrue things to make your point. Others read just like you. The uptake on any statement by anyone is given to interpretation on an individual basis. I take it you feel the "FaceBook" page that wanted to know who wants to kill Obama is perfectly alright.

    Corruption, destroying industries, mishandled business? I guess you were not paying attention, last I checked he saved probably millions of jobs by bailing out the banks and the auto industry.
    Millions, yes millions of jobs. Fact, for every direct job in the U.S. there are 6-7 connected jobs, and yes to each of those jobs is another 6-7 jobs. Aaaa the classic pyramid. I doubt you really have any idea what would have happened if those little business had been "allowed to fail". I have seen it first hand. Up close and personal. A town, 30k population. One mill closes. 4 years later, 50 percent unemployed, of the 17 K that were left. The affects were felt 500 miles away, in one giant circle. Nasty nasty stuff. Yes Jimmy there is no Santa Claus.

    You claim that the statements are very very tired tactics. I tire of your type, with absolutely no experience with the disaster that would have transpired, go to the true and extremely tired method of deflecting to " your rights".

    Remember, its the big bad business that got us to the state we are in now. You scream govt regulations, I point out a Democrat, was the one that started the whole damn banking investment deregulation in the first place. A Republican gutted what little regulations that were left by not replacing the actual regulators. Not that they had any backing with the law. As the regulations had been gutted. The banks, and investment firms were directly responsible for the predicament they found themselves in.

    Again, before you go off, about how they should have let them fail, I would suggest in the survival scenario that would have taken place, you would have been dog meat. Because I do not believe for a moment, you would have stood a chance in hell in the ensuing bread lines. However I do also believe you would have been out front screaming at Obama, " Why didnt you bail out the banks and the auto industry".. Thats right Jimmy, there is no Santa Claus.
  8. #48  
    k if he wants an anti Obama theme, and no one will build it for him.. .then perhaps he should do it for himself.. hey aint that the american way.. lolol
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    First i have never played the "race" card, that was done by many others. Second, your the one that keeps on going on about individualism and the capitalist way of life. Mine is only a response to your paranoid delusions about big govt taking over your rights. Rub it right down to the nitty gritty is the way I do things. You are entirely correct in your statement, " The right to speak out about one's beliefs doesn't come around ever (y) four years. It's 24/7." But do not misconstrue things to make your point. Others read just like you. The uptake on any statement by anyone is given to interpretation on an individual basis. I take it you feel the "FaceBook" page that wanted to know who wants to kill Obama is perfectly alright.

    Corruption, destroying industries, mishandled business? I guess you were not paying attention, last I checked he saved probably millions of jobs by bailing out the banks and the auto industry.
    Millions, yes millions of jobs. Fact, for every direct job in the U.S. there are 6-7 connected jobs, and yes to each of those jobs is another 6-7 jobs. Aaaa the classic pyramid. I doubt you really have any idea what would have happened if those little business had been "allowed to fail". I have seen it first hand. Up close and personal. A town, 30k population. One mill closes. 4 years later, 50 percent unemployed, of the 17 K that were left. The affects were felt 500 miles away, in one giant circle. Nasty nasty stuff. Yes Jimmy there is no Santa Claus.

    You claim that the statements are very very tired tactics. I tire of your type, with absolutely no experience with the disaster that would have transpired, go to the true and extremely tired method of deflecting to " your rights".

    Remember, its the big bad business that got us to the state we are in now. You scream govt regulations, I point out a Democrat, was the one that started the whole damn banking investment deregulation in the first place. A Republican gutted what little regulations that were left by not replacing the actual regulators. Not that they had any backing with the law. As the regulations had been gutted. The banks, and investment firms were directly responsible for the predicament they found themselves in.

    Again, before you go off, about how they should have let them fail, I would suggest in the survival scenario that would have taken place, you would have been dog meat. Because I do not believe for a moment, you would have stood a chance in hell in the ensuing bread lines. However I do also believe you would have been out front screaming at Obama, " Why didnt you bail out the banks and the auto industry".. Thats right Jimmy, there is no Santa Claus.
    Appreciate your opinions. Could you do us a favor an click the quote button on the post you are referring too? That way we'll be able to follow the discussion. Thanks.
    Iago

    "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, Is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash . . . But he that filches from me my good name Robs me of that which not enriches him
    And makes me poor indeed."


    Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott
  10. #50  
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    k if he wants an anti Obama theme, and no one will build it for him.. .then perhaps he should do it for himself.. hey aint that the american way.. lolol
    No he wants someone else to do it....hey we still live in a freemarket kinda world right? I'll build it for $50
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    First i have never played the "race" card, that was done by many others. Second, your the one that keeps on going on about individualism and the capitalist way of life. Mine is only a response to your paranoid delusions about big govt taking over your rights. Rub it right down to the nitty gritty is the way I do things. You are entirely correct in your statement, " The right to speak out about one's beliefs doesn't come around ever (y) four years. It's 24/7." But do not misconstrue things to make your point. Others read just like you. The uptake on any statement by anyone is given to interpretation on an individual basis. I take it you feel the "FaceBook" page that wanted to know who wants to kill Obama is perfectly alright.

    Corruption, destroying industries, mishandled business? I guess you were not paying attention, last I checked he saved probably millions of jobs by bailing out the banks and the auto industry.
    Millions, yes millions of jobs. Fact, for every direct job in the U.S. there are 6-7 connected jobs, and yes to each of those jobs is another 6-7 jobs. Aaaa the classic pyramid. I doubt you really have any idea what would have happened if those little business had been "allowed to fail". I have seen it first hand. Up close and personal. A town, 30k population. One mill closes. 4 years later, 50 percent unemployed, of the 17 K that were left. The affects were felt 500 miles away, in one giant circle. Nasty nasty stuff. Yes Jimmy there is no Santa Claus.

    You claim that the statements are very very tired tactics. I tire of your type, with absolutely no experience with the disaster that would have transpired, go to the true and extremely tired method of deflecting to " your rights".

    Remember, its the big bad business that got us to the state we are in now. You scream govt regulations, I point out a Democrat, was the one that started the whole damn banking investment deregulation in the first place. A Republican gutted what little regulations that were left by not replacing the actual regulators. Not that they had any backing with the law. As the regulations had been gutted. The banks, and investment firms were directly responsible for the predicament they found themselves in.

    Again, before you go off, about how they should have let them fail, I would suggest in the survival scenario that would have taken place, you would have been dog meat. Because I do not believe for a moment, you would have stood a chance in hell in the ensuing bread lines. However I do also believe you would have been out front screaming at Obama, " Why didnt you bail out the banks and the auto industry".. Thats right Jimmy, there is no Santa Claus.
    What a theme here... I think.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by moteki View Post
    Here is my last stab at the President.

    A vehicle getting 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.

    A vehicle getting 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

    So, the average Clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.

    They claim 700,000 vehicles – so that's 224 million gallons per year.

    That equates to saving a bit over 5 million barrels of oil per year. I repeat - per YEAR.

    5 million barrels of oil is about of one day's U.S. consumption.

    And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl.

    Our Government "gave" each Clunker Trader $4,500 per car for 700,000 transactions which cost US Taxpayers $3,150,000,000 (that would be 3.15 BILLION dollars) - not including Washington's astounding Administrative costs.

    So, we all contributed through our taxes to spend more than $3 billion to save $350 million.

    How good a deal was that?

    They'll probably do a great job with health care, though.
    While there are some errors in math and general assumptions in this post, the point is taken. Given all of the other negative consequences of the CARS programs, one would hope we'd at least get a big financial payoff.
  14. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by xForsaken View Post
    First i have never played the "race" card, that was done by many others.
    Didn't say you did. I said that the card you "were" playing was as old a tactic as playng the race card.
    Second, your the one that keeps on going on about individualism and the capitalist way of life.
    Yes, I think they're important. It's the opposite of socialism and the "collective".
    Mine is only a response to your paranoid delusions about big govt taking over your rights.
    Other than my right to have choices as mentioned in the healthcare debate/threads, who said anything about rights?
    Rub it right down to the nitty gritty is the way I do things. You are entirely correct in your statement, " The right to speak out about one's beliefs doesn't come around ever (y) four years. It's 24/7." But do not misconstrue things to make your point. Others read just like you. The uptake on any statement by anyone is given to interpretation on an individual basis. I take it you feel the "FaceBook" page that wanted to know who wants to kill Obama is perfectly alright.
    What a terrible thing to accuse me of. Where do you get off with that?

    Btw, have you stopped beating your wife?
    Corruption, destroying industries, mishandled business? I guess you were not paying attention, last I checked he saved probably millions of jobs by bailing out the banks and the auto industry.
    Well, if "last I checked" - then you should know whether or not "he saved probably millions of jobs". Please provide is with this probably data and probably references from where "last you checked".

    Funny though.... nobody else is talking about these "probably millions of jobs" he saved.... that you checked.... that last time....
    Millions, yes millions of jobs. Fact, for every direct job in the U.S. there are 6-7 connected jobs, and yes to each of those jobs is another 6-7 jobs. Aaaa the classic pyramid.
    Ahh, yes.. there is that classic pyramid. ***?
    I doubt you really have any idea what would have happened if those little business had been "allowed to fail". I have seen it first hand. Up close and personal. A town, 30k population. One mill closes. 4 years later, 50 percent unemployed, of the 17 K that were left. The affects were felt 500 miles away, in one giant circle. Nasty nasty stuff. Yes Jimmy there is no Santa Claus.
    Poor Jimmy!
    You claim that the statements are very very tired tactics. I tire of your type, with absolutely no experience with the disaster that would have transpired, go to the true and extremely tired method of deflecting to " your rights".

    Remember, its the big bad business that got us to the state we are in now. You scream govt regulations, I point out a Democrat, was the one that started the whole damn banking investment deregulation in the first place. A Republican gutted what little regulations that were left by not replacing the actual regulators. Not that they had any backing with the law. As the regulations had been gutted. The banks, and investment firms were directly responsible for the predicament they found themselves in.

    Again, before you go off, about how they should have let them fail, I would suggest in the survival scenario that would have taken place, you would have been dog meat. Because I do not believe for a moment, you would have stood a chance in hell in the ensuing bread lines. However I do also believe you would have been out front screaming at Obama, " Why didnt you bail out the banks and the auto industry".. Thats right Jimmy, there is no Santa Claus.
    You're wrong. I wouldn't have been out front screaming that to Obama. If I did, I might miss my place in line!

    You're just reciting the same scare tactics that got the bailouts passed in the first place. They were a mistake, Forsaken. Take off the partisan sunglasses for a minute and think it through. Many "too large to fail" companies have faced bankrupcy in the past, reorganized, taken their medicine, learned a lesson or two, and then come back even stronger than before. I offer you IBM and Apple as examples.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    You're just reciting the same scare tactics that got the bailouts passed in the first place. They were a mistake, Forsaken. Take off the partisan sunglasses for a minute and think it through.
    This man disagrees with you, and I think I will go with what he thinks...

    Paul Krugman joined The New York Times in 1999 as a columnist on the Op-Ed Page and continues as professor of Economics and International Affairs at Princeton University.

    Mr. Krugman received his B.A. from Yale University in 1974 and his Ph.D. from MIT in 1977. He has taught at Yale, MIT and Stanford. At MIT he became the Ford International Professor of Economics.

    Mr. Krugman is the author or editor of 20 books and more than 200 papers in professional journals and edited volumes. His professional reputation rests largely on work in international trade and finance; he is one of the founders of the "new trade theory," a major rethinking of the theory of international trade. In recognition of that work, in 1991 the American Economic Association awarded him its John Bates Clark medal, a prize given every two years to "that economist under forty who is adjudged to have made a significant contribution to economic knowledge." Mr. Krugman's current academic research is focused on economic and currency crises.

    At the same time, Mr. Krugman has written extensively for a broader public audience. Some of his recent articles on economic issues, originally published in Foreign Affairs, Harvard Business Review, Scientific American and other journals, are reprinted in Pop Internationalism and The Accidental Theorist.

    On October 13, 2008, it was announced that Mr. Krugman would receive the Nobel Prize in Economics.
  16. #56  
    You know as much as I did not agree with Bush's policies and decisions during his terms, I still respected the fact he was my President. Amazing.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You know as much as I did not agree with Bush's policies and decisions during his terms, I still respected the fact he was my President. Amazing.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  18. #58  
    Show a little respect! Goodness, what did the democrat party do for 8 years? Sure did not show any respect. So here we have it, politics as usual.

    Quote Originally Posted by sburlbaw View Post
    OP grow up!!!, he's the freakin president for god sake, show a little respect!
  19. #59  
    We do respect that he is our president. We do not respect his politics, policies, the way he is leading this country, the way he is holding up the military, the way that he feels that getting the Olympics is far more important that the war, the way that he feels that getting the Olympics allows him to repay favors, the way that he said he wrote his book - but gosh - he did not. Really now.

    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
  20. #60  
    If we had taken the time to correct the problem Bush repeatedly spoke about - correcting the subprime mortage debacle that the democrat leadership said was in great shape...You are, we are sure, aware that this government (Barry) just raise the debt ceiling.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    No wonder you were protesting in the streets 1 1/2 years or so ago! Just think if we could also refuse to pay for the dumb decisions leading to optional wars! Wait a second ... if China wasn't financing our debt, we couldn't wage wars ...or meet our Federal budget so...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions