Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    "middle of next year" the story says ... but the story's from November 2000.
    "Middle of next year -- that is to say, 2001 -- came and went some time ago.
    actually the Quark website has been saying 5.0 "to be released in the next few weeks" since mid-Nov 2001.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    Hmm...I don't know. I think Apple is making a huge mistake by killing off the low-end consumer iMac. A $499 CRT based iMac would have acted as a bridge to reach "experimental" users willing to play around with new products (like myself) and first time buyers. But pushing the iMac all the way up into the $1299 category is just going to relegate Macintosh further into the niche market. BIG MISTAKE.
    There's an interview over on MacCentral with Phil Schiller that says they're keeping the CRT iMac, but making it the sub $1000 line. Seems Apple's being a bit smarter than we're giving them credit for.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
  3.    #63  
    Originally posted by sowens

There's an interview over on MacCentral with Phil Schiller that says they're keeping the CRT iMac, but making it the sub $1000 line. Seems Apple's being a bit smarter than we're giving them credit for.
    SEE! I'm not crazy! Apple apparently sees the same logic behind keeping low-end iMacs around. Good for them.
  4.    #64  
    Quote from Phil Schiller:
    Starting today we've kept the $799 price point of the existing iMac
    I still wish they would drop the price of that model down to $599.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    But they have also shot themselves in the foot by completely eliminating their low to mid-range price structure. It's gone!!! Last year's iMac line ranged from $799-$1699. Now the entry level has nearly double in price, in the middle of a recession no less. I don't see this a flawless strategy.
    Erm, no. Apple still has the iMac G3 available at $799 and $999. The company silently lowered the price on the 600 Mhz as well.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  6.    #66  
    Hmm..the design kind of grows on you after a while. I still don't think the design is as stunning as the original iMac, but I'm starting to like it.

What really burns me is that 5 months ago I was thinking of switching to a Mac...a PowerMac G4 with a flat panel. This system would have been a PERFECT choice! G4 processor, 15" LCD, good video chipset, decent hard drive...it would have made a perfect web design workstation. Damn Apple and its poor timing!
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think that this new iMac is just plain ugly. Believe it or not, I like the old design better. This doesn't even look like a computer any more. Maybe that's good, maybe not, but I would feel foolish sitting in front of that. It looks like the lamp from the Pixar logo.

I don't see how this is an "advance" for Apple. I'm not being flippant but realistic. Most consumers are only comfortable with what they know. As this doesn't "look like a computer", will consumers give it the heave-ho when looking to purchase? WIll this actually turn off potential new customers? I know the price sure would.
    I think the looks of it will draw customers in, not scare them. People who don't care to know much about computers let looks guide them tremendously. Also, those who don't like computers because they're typically so clunky, will like the new look because it doesn't clash as much with their decor perhaps.
    -Vincent
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think that this new iMac is just plain ugly.
    I would probably agree, but, to be fair, I'll probably have a change of heart once I see it in person.

I don't see how this is an "advance" for Apple. I'm not being flippant but realistic.
    I TOTALLY agree. There is nothing 'advanced' about this iMac other than a newer processor and different form factor.

This CERTAINLY does not live up to the hype Apple was spewing

"way beyond the rumour sites....way beyond"
    "fast forward to the future"
    "Going where no PC has gone before"

To be honest, I was quite upset when the new iMac was 'all there was' to the big announcement.

That does not make it any less of a machine, but it certainly isn't a huge advance for apple.

Most consumers are only comfortable with what they know. As this doesn't "look like a computer", will consumers give it the heave-ho when looking to purchase?
    Logic would dictate 'yes' but look at the first iMac. It WAS extremely revolutionary when it came out. It was like nothing before it, and it sold like crazy.

WIll this actually turn off potential new customers? I know the price sure would.
    Well, it comes down to trying to figure out what Job's goals are. I think this will sell well, but I don't think it will attract the same amount of non-mac users that the original iMac did.

That said, OSX and the bundles apple, MAY do more than the actual iMac in attracting new Mac users.

Apple's stock is down 2 points, which isn't a good indicator...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    [...]I would probably agree, but, to be fair, I'll probably have a change of heart once I see it in person. [...]
    Quite possible. I didn't particularly like the looks of the Handera 330 based on web pics, but after seeing one in person, it doesn't look bad at all.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by homer
    This CERTAINLY does not live up to the hype Apple was spewing
    There's rumors that the iMac wasn't necessarily supposed to be the big thing. Jobs keynote was cut short (I don't remember by how much), and he (apparently) has a habit of pulling something out at the last minute that isn't listed in his powerpoint outline.

Probably just wishful thinking, but the Tokyo conference is a month away.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Yeah, but doesn't Jobs keep all of the good announcements for the Frisco conference?
    Since Jobs came back, he *has* usually had a "one more thing" to announce at the end of the keynote. While I wouldn't say his speech was cut short (scheduled for two hours, ran for two hours, I don't call that "short"; the one last July ran OVER by an hour) and didn't this time. which would lend credence to the idea that the "big thing" isn't the new design of the iMac. On the other hand, how stupid would they have to be to hype something - not traditionally what Apple does -- then not deliver?
    The trouble with hype, unfortuneately, is it creates unrealistic expectations and speculation. Perhaps if they'd kept their mouths shut ...
    On the other hand, no matter how nice something new is, there will always be people who think it's junk anyway. Human nature, expecially in these cynical times.
    It's only been a few days. I would like to see what sales are like in four weeks.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    It's only been a few days. I would like to see what sales are like in four weeks.
    Hmm, I thought the top model wasn't going to be available until the end of the month with the others following in February and March? Doesn't that mean that the sales figures on these won't be complete until May or June?

I suppose it depends on whether they measure the success by units ordered or units shipped. It seems that they measured it by units shipped for the iPod and the original iMac, so we could be waiting some time to determine the new iMacs "success".
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    Originally posted by sowens
    Hmm, I thought the top model wasn't going to be available until the end of the month with the others following in February and March?

This is true, I'd neglected to remember that detail. doop.
    so ... anyone get a new iMac? whatcha think?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234