Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, regardless of whether you love Apple or hate them, you have to admit that no other tech company can build anticipation for new product announcements like Apple can.

Well, I'm off to sit in a 4 hour meeting. You all have fun without me...
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    NEW IBOOK COMING! 14 inch display, 800 mhz.
    SCHWEEEET!!!!

Well, except for the fact I've got to think about replacing my Cube now.
    It's gotta be weather balloons. It's always weather balloons. Big, fiery, exploding weather balloons.
    -- ComaVN (from Slashdot)
    WHAT ABOUT MY TITANIUM BOOK!!!
    If the iBook can have an 800MHz processor, why can't the titanium book have one. That was my lowest chip speed to get one. I know the iBook looks really nice, but the TiBook is AMAZING. Argh, and I was all ready to go and buy one. Well I guess now I'm just going to have to wait .

BEN
    I am rather impressed with the iMac. For $1800 it's quite competitive for Apple.

I need more money.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by homer
    It sounds like Time really messed this one up. I doubt they are going to get any exclusives from apple anymore.
    No, Apple knew exactly what Time was doing. It's all part of the marketing plan. Apple even has a link to the Time article on Apple's home page. Face it, this is the big MacWorld item. You don't think Apple is going to arrange to be on the cover of Time for its second biggest product release, do you? I think it looks pretty good, and I almost regret that I went over to the dark (Wintel) side and gave up on Apple during the pre-Jobs II period.

(By the way, this is on the cover of U.S. Time, not just Time Canada, see http://www.time.com)
    That iMac looks very cool. I sooo want one now. iPhoto is pretty nifty too. You can import any .jpg file into it, which is great for people like me that don't have a USB digicam. I did a test of iPhoto's homepage abilities. Click here to see it.

I figure Apple will speed bump the ProMac line after the iMac starts shipping in earnest; otherwise there is no reason to get the tower.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I think Apple is off to a great start this year. Those of you complaining for a ghz mac, whats kept you from going over to the PC. Its not just the OS alone. Macs are fast enough to do all your tasks. So you canít brag how you run MS Word at 2 ghz. Big deal!!. I run Photoshop on a 667mhz TiPB and it flies.

Now Apple decides to give G4s to the average person not just speed geeks. If you ask me I think Apple is brilliant. The new iMac can run out-out-box FinalCut Pro 3 well (low end iMac at that). And the design is gonna make Wintel boxes look like a í70s station wagon.

Let's not forget iDVD2, iTunes, iPhoto . . .

What I got from the keynote speech is that Apple is trying to . . . or should I say going to gain market share.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    The new 14" iBook looks great, too! I wonder when it will get bumped with a G4--it's the last remaining apple product to have a G3.
    -Vincent
  9.    #49  
    Hmm...I don't know. I think Apple is making a huge mistake by killing off the low-end consumer iMac. A $499 CRT based iMac would have acted as a bridge to reach "experimental" users willing to play around with new products (like myself) and first time buyers. But pushing the iMac all the way up into the $1299 category is just going to relegate Macintosh further into the niche market. BIG MISTAKE.

What's worse, there were no speed bumps or price reductions on the PowerMac line. AND! the 14" iBook is now faster than the PowerBook.

What the hell is Job's smoking? Oh well, at least he didn't throw the iPod after it failed to sync in his demo.
    FooFighter

The 14" iBook is still just 600Mhz.
    -Vincent
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    What the hell is Job's smoking?
    What the hell are you smoking? A $499 machine would suck, regardless of the company making it. I very seriously doubt Jobs wants to **** away tech support on a peice of sh!t, nor does he want Apple - known for quality as much as attempts at style - to have a POS degrading the corporate image.

If you want an imac for $499, you can have mine.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by Vinny
    FooFighter

The 14" iBook is still just 600Mhz.
    And there is a huge performance differance between the G4 and the G3.
    -Joshua
  13.    #53  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

A $499 machine would suck, regardless of the company making it.
    No it wouldn't! $499 is perfect for a low cost entry level model. The low-end iMac could become the ULTIMATE Internet Appliance. As a desktop, no. But as a basic IA, this could be a hit.

Sure, it may suck for a Mac user, but Apple needs to grow beyond that market.

Apple is going to have a hard time trying to generate new sales among cost concious consumers with this $1299 flat panel iMac.

I very seriously doubt Jobs wants to **** away tech support on a peice of sh!t, nor does he want Apple - known for quality as much as attempts at style - to have a POS degrading the corporate image.
    Hmm...piece of ****? You're basically using this "piece of ****" right now. Suddenly the old CRT based iMac is a rotten product because something new has arrived?

Well he does have a point .. CRT is getting really old, really quick .. I know a LOT of people that are dumping their CRTs for flat panel displays .. the price is right --- if Apple keeps systems around too much longer with a CRT display, it could hurt their image as a leader, innovator, ahead of the market, whatever u wanna call it -- granted, it still doesn't help their market share... heh..
  15.    #55  
    Originally posted by Cerulean
    Well he does have a point .. CRT is getting really old, really quick .. I know a LOT of people that are dumping their CRTs for flat panel displays .. the price is right --- if Apple keeps systems around too much longer with a CRT display, it could hurt their image as a leader, innovator, ahead of the market, whatever u wanna call it -- granted, it still doesn't help their market share... heh..
    Jobs is right. LCDs are the future, and being the first to phase out "legacy" technology continues to earn Apple innovator of the year award in my book. But they have also shot themselves in the foot by completely eliminating their low to mid-range price structure. It's gone!!! Last year's iMac line ranged from $799-$1699. Now the entry level has nearly double in price, in the middle of a recession no less. I don't see this a flawless strategy.
    My iMac isn't necessarily a POS, but I'd definitely rather have the new one. And yes, a $499 machine would suck - unless you're talking about a pda. We sell new computers where I work, and the cheapest system that retains a modicum of useability is priced at $995 - and this is the PC world where cheap computers flow like wine. Granted, Apple's profit margins have been kept quite comfortable, but I would expect nothing less.

Apple has never catered to the market so much as they've catered the market to them. You're right, that isn't a flawless strategy. It takes balls.
    -Joshua
    Some free-form thoughts:

Heh. the G4 iMac in profile looks like a scutter from "Red Dwarf."
    From straight on, the "pod" portion resembles one-eyed Mike from Monsters Inc. (with the chrome apple as the eye, and the CD tray as the smile)

It is a move forward technologically at least; it's a higher-end iMac than they've done, it continues their recent tradition of changing/updating the consumer models in January (the professional stuff'll happen in July at MWNY); it has features not found on previous models. It has that really cool flat screen.
    If it weren't for the snow I might have made the 1.25 hr trek to an Apple store to check it out today.

I watched the keynote via QuickTIme live, and while it was typical Jobsian stuff verything he announced had been noted in the TimeCanada article I read the day before (Jobs even made mention of that). I wonder if it was up briefly intentionally to add that little bit more hype or what. It was pretty cooll of Apple to give away copies after the speech.

iPhoto is OS X only. I have no plans to switch to OS X until at least 2003, and even then there better be an X version of Quark Xpress or I'll go kicking and screaming. So I guess I'lll stick with my other image viewers.

Doesn anyone know if that's the same couple from the iDVD ad from last year? I mean, it looks it, but I'm not sure.

For those complaining about the cost, the older, $799 iMacs continue to be available. I don't believe it's been discontinued yet, since the AppleStore listings have been updated to note they include iPhoto. The new ones come in three versions, at $1300, $1500, and $1800. The low one has CD-Rw and doesn't come with speakers, the mid does have speakers and goes tot he combo drive (CD-Rw/DVD-ROM), the top has the 800 MHz g4, speakers and the SuperDrive.

It looks cooler than any other computer out there (tho, wish it wasn't in white, that's so boring and doesn't go with my decor), the high-end iMac is now just as good as the low-end PowerMac, AND Apple got Adobe to say "we're shipping!" So, while disappointed over having the keynote itself spoiled, I like what they're doing.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    iPhoto is OS X only. I have no plans to switch to OS X until at least 2003, and even then there better be an X version of Quark Xpress or I'll go kicking and screaming. So I guess I'lll stick with my other image viewers.
    I doubt QuarkXPress will ever be on OSX. What do you still use XPress for anyways? (I truly, truly hate Quark. They are an awful, greedy company.)
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    What do you still use XPress for anyways? (I truly, truly hate Quark. They are an awful, greedy company.)
    Publication layout and design, which is what I've always used it for.
    It's still in use by the vast majority of print publications, even though there hasn't been a new version in quite some time.
    besides, getting it was expensive ... I'd be foolish not to use it ...
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Quark 5.0 is right around the corner [link]. This page says it should be released sometime early to mid this year.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast