1.    #1  
    Kauai, specifically. My brother is getting married there in less than a week! The trip was an unexpected Christmas present (and well beyond my normal means or deserts). Since my wife has so little vacation time, it's going to be a weekend trip (!), we leave MN on Friday and return on Tuesday.

...I'm thinking of leaving the Prism behind... have I lost my mind? I figure that I don't want to have anything whose primary purpose is work/organization. Instead of the Prism, I'll bring my new Game Boy Advance. And hey, the Prism is useless in the sun, and the GBA seems to work only in the sun

..we've got maybe 2.5 days in Kauai, one of which will surely be taken up with wedding stuff... What should we do?
    There are several neat things to do on Kauai. . .if you love to play golf, there are some nice courses on the North end (near Princeville). You can take a helicopter ride through the Grand Canyon of Hawaii. My wife and I hike down into the canyon, but if you're not in shape, I wouldn't recommend. There are many waterfalls on the island. . .recommend getting a guide book and checking them out-especially after a rainfall! Also, I must recommend Brennigans as a place to eat. Great seafood! ALso, you must visit Kauai Cookie shop, famous for their cookie. Lastly, if you love pizza, you can drop in to the Brick Oven Pizza place-very friendly folks and the pizza, while not as good as Chicago or New York-is very good. Enjoy your stay.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Kauai, specifically. My brother is getting married there in less than a week! The trip was an unexpected Christmas present (and well beyond my normal means or deserts). Since my wife has so little vacation time, it's going to be a weekend trip (!), we leave MN on Friday and return on Tuesday.

...I'm thinking of leaving the Prism behind... have I lost my mind? I figure that I don't want to have anything whose primary purpose is work/organization. Instead of the Prism, I'll bring my new Game Boy Advance. And hey, the Prism is useless in the sun, and the GBA seems to work only in the sun

..we've got maybe 2.5 days in Kauai, one of which will surely be taken up with wedding stuff... What should we do?
    see what you do is stock up on games, golf score keeping programs, that stupid fake camera program, and you are set. I still think you are insane.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Kauai, specifically. My brother is getting married there in less than a week!
    Is there a new Treo in your brother's future? And if not, what kind of Handspring product are you getting he and his bride?
    Aloha, Haole!

A few medical observations: A little caution will prevent the most common problems.

1. The most common affliction to visitors JOJ (Just Off the Jet) is fatigue. The extremely long flight takes its' toll, so sleeping on the plane is good. Alcohol is not good.

2. The most fun on Kauai is snorkelling and bodysurfing (rent gear there) at Poipu Beach (Brenecke's), so beware the "Red-Backed Bloater". Not a fish: you're the fish. The unexposed and not tanned skin of the back can develop a SEVERE sunburn in 20 minutes that can ruin the rest of the trip. SPF 32 sunscreen and have a buddy check the skin.

3. SUNGLASSES

4. Driving directions are easy on a volcano: Mauka (uphill) and Ewa (downhill). Driving Mauka off the main Ewa road to Pakalolo plantations can cost one's life. These illegal marijuana growers are very protective, and they know how to booby-trap.
    Just don't go. Red dirt on the rental car tires will get you in trouble back at the airport.

5. Young native Hawaiians are appropriately culturally alarmed, and will confront intruders. Thanks to Hippie Haoles crashing endlessly on their beaches in the '60's. ("Without breath": Hawaiians' early observation that Europeans greet with a lip-kiss, holding their breaths.) Their cultural greeting is nose-rubbing (Tahitian). Hence, there is no camping or beach-sleeping allowed.

Tahiti? You bet. The can't miss is Auntie Louise's Tahiti Nui for the ultimate Hawaiin Luau.

Tune the car radio to the "Classical Hawaiian" station and let Raymond Kane burn the slack key guitar soundtrack of your wonderful trip into your memory banks.

Out of all the places in the world we've traveled to, Italy is the number two place we'd return to. Third is Grand Canyon, and the fourth is Kauai.

We're not telling anyone about the first: It's wilderness.

Bruce, The PDA P.A.
  6.    #6  
    wow, thanks guys for the great advice.. keep it coming!