1.    #1  
    CompUSA has HiVal ones for $80 after rebate and instant cash off. The website is sold out but they might have 'em at the stores.
    I just got a Lite-on 24/10/40 drive for pretty cheap from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...talog=5&DEPA=1 . It's $90 shipped from them Fedex Saver. I love the thing! Only downfall so far is that I can't burn audio CDs at higher speeds. They play fine in my car's Sony XPlod unit, but in other cars, even a new 2002 they skip. Burning at 8X has solved the problem though. This audio quirk may be a media thing--just thought I'd let you guys know!
    -Vincent
    Originally posted by Vinny
    They play fine in my car's Sony XPlod unit, but in other cars, even a new 2002 they skip. Burning at 8X has solved the problem though.
    I wouldn't say that you solved the problem; if I buy a 24x burner it damn well better burn audio tracks at the 24x setting. Its atleast half the reason to buy a burner in the first place! Have you checked the manufacturer's web site for an updated driver?
    All CDRW drives use windows built in driver from what I understand. I did check for firmware, and there was an upgraded firmware--I upgraded but it does not appear to have alleviated the problem.
    -Vincent
    From what I have been hearing the Lite-Ons are great burners. I would go with the media thing. Its possible the media you are using isnt agreeing with the burner or your CD players dont like the media. I would try another faster approved media and see if that doesnt fix your problem.
    Just so people know, I was using Imation 700MB/80minute disks certified for 16X. I haven't seen 24X certified in the stores yet, but I'll have to try those. I'm very happy with my Lite-on burner definitely.
    -Vincent