1.    #1  
    I am considering moving my Zip drive down into my 3.5" drive bay and doing away with my 3.5" floppy altogether. This would free up the 5 1/4" drive bay that the Zip drive is currently in so I could install a CR-RW drive, without sacrificing my DVD drive.

I haven't used my "A:" drive in ages, and having nothing on old floppies but the requisite emergency boot disks. Am I risking anything significant by finally bidding au revour to my old 1.44MB floppies once and for all?
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 12/31/2001 at 08:18 PM.
    Not really. I've used 3.5 floppies twice in the last week, only because my husband needed something from the desktop to the laptop and the network wasn't hooked up.

If you have a motherboard that allows you to boot to CD, you can do that if you have a problem, OR you can use a program that I think Iomega puts out so that you can put a Boot disk on a zip disk. There are some computers out there that no longer come with a 3.5 floppy.

Dana
    Originally posted by DanaWheels
    There are some computers out there that no longer come with a 3.5 floppy.
    Yeah, like Macs ... I had to get a floppy drive for my computer, even though I rarely use it, because it was the only way to get my data off the old computer (a Performa 460 which lacked a printer, CD-Rom drive, and modem) and onto the new one (G4, with none of the same cabling ...). I do utilize floppies on occasion, when I know I need to transport something and can't be sure if I'm going to a computer with a zip or just a floppy -- like, if I want to use a laser printer, it has to go on a flop because the only LP I have access to its on a computer with only a floppy drive (no CD or zip).

I don't think you'll be losing anything by eliminating the floppy drive, Keefer. You could burn a boot CD and be covered there, and you could always keep the thing and reinstall it if absolutely necessary.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Yorkick,

great change to the avatar!

mc
    oh sure. Now someone notices. just as I'm going to change it again. (I mean, Christmas is over and all, so ...)
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    [...] I haven't used my "A:" drive in ages, and having nothing on old floppies but the requisite emergency boot disks. Am I risking anything significant by finally bidding au revour to my old 1.44MB floppies once and for all?
    No, you're not losing anything as long as your CD drive is bootable. FWIW, though, I wound up adding a floppy to my system since Win98 refused to acknowledge that there was no 'A:' drive. It kept putting a phantom one in there despite my disabling floppy detection every which way from Sunday.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  7.    #7  
    My CD is indeed bootable. And I wouldn't mind designating my Zip drive as my A: drive. Sounds like getting rid of the 3.5" floppy is a good idea.

Thanks Everyone.
    Originally posted by Keefer Lucas
    My CD is indeed bootable. And I wouldn't mind designating my Zip drive as my A: drive. Sounds like getting rid of the 3.5" floppy is a good idea.

Thanks Everyone.
    Until you need it again. :-)
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    One real nifty accessory is the DiskOnKey, a USB device that acts as an external hard drive on Windows, Mac, and *nix. Drivers aren't needed on WinMe/2K/XP or Mac OS X.

The DOK is also very cheap when compared to an external floppy drive and holds more data. I use it when I am at class and I need to get files from a Windows laptop.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Felipe

Until you need it again. :-)
    *******!