Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Then you have never listened to his entire show. Throughout the radio show the statement of entertainment is specifically made. In addition he does state his show is opinion and not news. The big 3 networks are killing themselves by not being impartial. Also the standard you speak of? Walter Cronkite - you remember him - do you remember what he said on the air during the Viet Nam war? There has not been a real standard for years and in 2008 it died totally.

An example of a joker - listen to MSNBC lately? Listen to CNN lately? If not, try to and then tell us who the jokers are.

Quote Originally Posted by 1thing2add View Post
    A problem is that this "entertainment", such as it is, used to be ethically required to identify itself as such formally, on the air. That was the standard held when there were only the Big 3 networks involved in presenting the news as journalism of the day.

Today, any joker, talking fool with good writers can present infotainment without making it clear to those watching/listening that they are not presenting the news of the day, though their presentation certainly implies that it is. If your cup of tea is A**hole TV (as in everybody's got one), feeding at their trough still doesn't make their view worth serious consideration.
    You are again telling all of us that you have not listened to Glenn Beck's radio or television show. Bloody-meat jingoisms? Wow, you really say bunches of stuff with nothing to back yourself up with. I take it you have heard who started the **** name calling...I take it you have heard who called Americans stupid...

Fear? Every day Barry speaks of fear and the need to take care of it immediately. Fear.

If I had said "Beck is an *****", I'd agree with you about name-calling. That plainly is not the case. Do I believe he fits into a class of trainwrech talking-heads? Yep!

I differ with any talking-head who passes themselves off as informed and retaining journalistic integrity, but is clearly vacated on both. Simply put: If I had a neighbor who spoke to me like Beck does his audience, with the complete lack of respect for their ability to think for themselves outside of his influence, free of bloody-meat jingoisms, that neighbor would find themselves isolated and alone with their fears to keep them company.
    Approximately 1.7 million showed - do some looking around.

And Barry has ACORN (said he did not know ACORN was doing this), did not know that a really close relative of the head of ACORN was involved in stealing money and that ACORN did not report it, et cetera. What about bailing out the UAW pension fund to the tune of $10,000,000,000.

You know ... the millions who showed up in DC a couple weeks ago ... MILLIONS according to Beck, that is. Of course, Beck also had his PAC, the 9 1/2 Project present along with **** Armey's Freedom Works Foundation. Though professional estimations were much, much lower than what Beck had to say about it.
    You sure did - last week. The week before though...

ABC's Gibson: ACORN Scandal a Mystery to Me - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Breitbart.tv » ABC News Anchor Charlie Gibson on ACORN Scandal: ‘I Don’t Even Know About It’

Michelle Malkin » ACORN Watch: Charlie Gibson and the ostrich media; Update: Audio added

There are so links about this - and of course no where on ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, et cetera, we were told about it.

Consider yourself told.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    That would be odd since I watched the ridiculous Acorn story on ABC news last week.
    and the Apollo Project wrote Barry's stimulus.

Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    Yes, I do prefer to watch shows that are similar to my views, but I also like educated discussions with those with opposing ideas that open my mind to other views. That was the reason for this thread.

I know your discussion was from reading the transcript. But it did miss a lot of the actual story. He was using the chalkboard to show how all the different organizations (Acorn/SICU etc) are inter-related. We should know who is writing our Legislative Bills. Congress should be, but a lot of them won't even read them!

Sure Glenn Beck does have a way of jumping around and being emotional and comic, he admits that...Look at the cover of his books. But, he also has a way of making sometimes dry political discussions entertaining. News show? No. not in the traditional sense. Important Issues Show? Yes. Entertaining? Yes.
    ACORN is NOT grass roots. Look in to it and the 2 dudes that run it. As for Michael Moore - he hates the free market, but the free market has made his millions. What a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by philpalm View Post
    I doubt if any of Acorn supporters use Pre. I myself am a second hand user of Palm and Sony Clie devices. Acorn is more grass roots than other groups in my opinion.

In Chinatown LA we have a developer that refuses to make any concessions for Affordable Housing and so that is how I witnessed Acorn in Action. Pretty much against a private developer a voice of the People is pretty useless. Nonetheless Acorn volunteered to help us protest the developer's stubborn resistance (even though to no effect).

I'd rather encourage groups to have a voice than to silence them. Glen Beck, et al think that Acorn has been silenced, ha. It is a publicity stunt, we will still have gangsters that control prostitution and other frauds, and you won't hear the last of Acorn.
    If Glen Beck pats his own back and stops trying to stop unscruplious behavior that would be bad. People should demand all media to try to stop unscrupulous behavior, or is Glen Beck all Bread and Circus? He takes credit but doesn't do much investigative journalism.

Oh wait the real Job of Glen Beck is to be a cheerleader? OK I guess I will be cheerleading Michael Moore, he seems to be a partial journalist or commentator that I admire as opposed to Glen Beck who basically jumps where the conservative bandwagon is going.
    They hit on the drug companies but say nothing about the UAW and the money it is suppose to receive as part of the health care package being rammed down the throat of America. Oh, that is right - Americans are stupid. Guess who said that.

Besides the already mentioned Pulitzer and other awards, the lack of corporate ownership and support are key factors to choosing a neutral yet effective source of news.

As I type this I am watching the News Hour after watching the more commonly viewed 15 minutes of ABC news, and the 15 minutes of drug manufacturer commercials. Interestingly omitted was a story about The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid sending a letter to insurance companies to stop sending propaganda letters to their customers regarding medicare.

Pretty telling.
    So extreme or is it because he speaks of issues that the government, the president, the progressives, et cetera, do not want discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    There is a value to Beck. He has a place in my consumption of news. It's just smaller since he got so extreme.
    Do you feel that way considering the history of the UAW and the history it has with its membership?

EXACTLY! I've seen stories presented about high ranking insurance company management employees that have been diagnosed with a catastrophic illness and DENIED coverage by their OWN company! And STILL worked for the insurance company!

Those stories brought an ache to my heart that I cannot describe.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    So extreme or is it because he speaks of issues that the government, the president, the progressives, et cetera, do not want discussed.
    (This makes me laugh. Maybe it's just me.)
    It's ironic that YOU seem to have entirely missed MY issues and do not seem interested in discussing them. I'm totally fine with that by the way.

Nope. His issues are fine. - Thanks for asking.

Truth be told, I'm not even remotely committed to marginalizing Mr Beck. I believe he's done that to himself with his relentless, "___________ is the most critical, pressing issue of our time. We MUST do something!" approach, where the blank is filled in once or twice per evening with an ever-changing collection of issues.

Look, Beck is fine... he has a regular audience... his audience has changed over the years as his style has changed. You are in the current audience and I am in the former audience with occasional (rare) current consumption. Not much more to it than that.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I am in the former audience with occasional (rare) current consumption. Not much more to it than that.
    So you're from the era when he was actually "funny" on occassion?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Do you feel that way considering the history of the UAW and the history it has with its membership?
    You're kinda just flinging stuff this morning. Care to elaborate?
    No not really, just Google it - if you had done that with the ABC stuff...

Start here: http://www.nrtw.org/b/nr_33.php and look around. I found many more than 1. It has a very active history here in Honolulu.
    No not really, just Google it - if you had done that with the ABC stuff...

Start here: Union Violence Victims Win Settlement In Suit Against UAW Union | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation and look around. I found many more than 1. It has a very active history here in Honolulu.
    First off, let's get something straight right off the bat. When you mess with anyone's livelihood, whether union or non-union, people are going to get upset. If I walked into your employer tomorrow and convinced your employer that I should have your job because I'll work for less and you get laid off, you are going to be upset.

It's laughable to think of the National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation is a nonprofit, charitable organization. Who do you think funds it?

The whole incident is laughable and was settled out of civil court.

I have been a union worker for 29 years. If there were criminal laws broken, there would have been criminal charges filed. If there were labor laws broken a complaint would have been files with NLRB (National Labor Relations Board) against the offending party. That didn't happen.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Criminal charges can and are filed routinely. A check of the local newspaper shows that. So what are you saying? The union is perfect? The union is there to help all? or is it that the union is there to make sure it continues to exist.
    Criminal charges can and are filed routinely. A check of the local newspaper shows that. So what are you saying? The union is perfect? The union is there to help all? or is it that the union is there to make sure it continues to exist.
    Your first two statements are false. I can check my local newspaper and criminal charges aren't routinely being filed because of violence in a labor dispute.

I don't even understand your next two statements. We are all human. Who would be stupid enough to say any human group is perfect?

Businesses bring unionization upon themselves. If all the employee were listened to and treated fairly, employees wouldn't see any value in uniting into a single bargaining unit. Don't make the mistake of looking at a union as separate entity, it's not. The union is the workers.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Your first two statements are false. I can check my local newspaper and criminal charges aren't routinely being filed because of violence in a labor dispute.
    That does not de facto mean his statements are false. I'm not reading the Hawaii papers regularly, but they could conceivably be accurate.
    Businesses bring unionization upon themselves.
    You cannot really be this naive, can you? Unions do not always spontaneously generate out of thin air. National labor unions are just another PAC.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    ACORN is NOT grass roots. Look in to it and the 2 dudes that run it. As for Michael Moore - he hates the free market, but the free market has made his millions. What a guy.
    So is it your opinion or a fact that Acorn is not grass roots? Oh wait Glen Beck has modified/cheapen the definition of grass roots by calling the tea bag group grass roots....

Glen Beck has had advertisers pull out from sponsoring his show. Pressure from the Free Market, or pressure from haters of Glen Beck?

Ok maybe I have put too much innuendo on your position. I am sorry if you were insulted or think I am calling you names. This is your topic, you're are allowed opinions and if you don't address what Grass roots means, I refuse in my opinion to believe that Acorn is not a grass roots organization. It is more so in a very proletarian way than any other American group today.
    Last edited by philpalm; 09/24/2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by philpalm View Post
    So is it your opinion or a fact that Acorn is not grass roots? Oh wait Glen Beck has modified/cheapen the definition of grass roots by calling the tea bag group grass roots....

Glen Beck has had advertisers pull out from sponsoring his show. Pressure from the Free Market, or pressure from haters of Glen Beck?

Ok maybe I have put too much innuendo on your position. I am sorry if you were insulted or think I am calling you names. This is your topic, you're are allowed opinions and if you don't address what Grass roots means, I refuse in my opinion to believe that Acorn is not a grass roots organization. It is more so in a very proletarian way than any other American group today.
    Grass roots or not, still a bunch of criminals.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Let me be the devil's advocate on saying both Acorn and the Tea baggers are grass roots advocates. Acorn uses POC members more than Tea Baggers. So yeah in a way I am more biased with POC politics.

Recently the Republicans have distanced themselves publically from Anti -Latin politics (Grinrich now has a bilingual staff) and the innuendo is that Acorn would allow exploitation of Latin women for Prostitution.

Not in Los Angeles has Acorn shown distain towards the Latin people. They march with Latins for better education and housing. If Anything I can find more good that Acorn has done for Latins than any good that the Tea bag "grass roots" movement has done for Latins.

Oh you claim it is two leaders of Acorn who are pulling the Puppet strings of all the Acorn members( your quote:"Look in to it and the 2 dudes that run it") No you look into it instead of parrotting your "Puppet master" Glen Beck. In fact Huffington Post caught the Fox Producer hyping the crowd for their Glen Beck moment.(who was chastised, and I doubt they will fire her)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast